main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

TIP Maintain your whole miniature collection inventory on this site. Together with your haves, you can also manage your private miniature collection and keep everything in a single place.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Unique Crew Abilities By Faction

View previous topic :: View next topic  
godmason

Canceled user

Subject: Unique Crew Abilities By Faction   PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:33 am Reply with quote

While recording today's podcast with Ben, I realized that there was something I wanted: an index of all the abilities that are unique to one faction's crew. This is not taking the presence of an ability on a ship into account; this is meant to just show which abilities are available on crew, as they're more versatile than ships are, more mix-and-match.

In order to qualify, these abilities must exist on crew as belonging to 1-2 of the game’s factions. No anti-faction abilities will be counted. In a couple instances, notable abilities not found on any ship are included. I have included a couple from later sets with common abilities due to the unique way in which they combine those abilities, making them prized pieces.

What have I learned? Well, that among the game's six continuous factions post-SCS, France has the least unique keywords, and the Pirates have the most by far. Between the one-off factions, including the Barbary Corsairs, Jade Rebellion, Mercenaries, and Vikings, there are only eight exclusive abilities.

If I have erroneously listed something, or missed something else, let me know. I have formatted the text in this post to be small so it's more easily read. Some of the more interesting abilities that I think need further exploration are bolded.

Edit: here is a link to my spreadsheet of crew abilities by faction, as promised. These do not include the abilities listed in this post, only more common abilities shared by 3+ factions are included.

England

- When this ship is docked at your home island, you may eliminate one treasure. It becomes a 3S cannon that can be eliminated only when the ship sinks: Carbon Charlie
- Other ships do not block this ship's line of fire: Myngs Marauders
- Once per turn when this ship hits an enemy ship, also eliminate one crew from that ship: Thomas Gunn the Younger
- One of this ship's treasures is worth +1 gold when she docks at your home island: Powder Pete
- You own any derelict this ship explores; both ships become docked at your home island: Commander Temple
- If an enemy ship is within S of this ship you can use this ship's action for the turn to try to possess a target crew on that ship. Roll a d6, on a result of 6, the target is immediatly assigned to this ship. Its nationality changes to match the nationality of this ship: Sir Edmund Atkinson
- Once per turn, if this ship is touching another ship, she can randomly take as much treasure from the other ship as she can carry: Peter Miles
- Captain/Helmsman combo: Thomas Gunn, Hermione Gold
- Musketeer (2 points): Trevor Van Tyne
- If this ship has a crew with the Captain keyword, she gets +1 to her cannon rolls and +S to her base move: Griffin
- Once per turn give any ship in your fleet +1 to all of her cannon rolls: Thomas Gunn
- Instead of giving this ship an action this turn, you can give another ship in your fleet two actions: Lord Mycron
- Once each time this ship is given an action, you can roll 2d6 any time you would roll a d6. Choose the result you want to use: Hermionie Gold
- Once per turn when this ship is given a shoot action, choose a cannon and roll a d6 twice. Choose the result you want to use for the shot: Sir Rupert Hargreaves
- Once per turn, this ship can move S after loading cargo: Sir Jeremy Rothschild
- Marine (5 points): Major Peter Sharpe

Pirate

- On the turn this ship is pinned, eliminate one crew from the enemy ship: Captain Jack Hawkins
- Once per turn, this ship may look at one face-down cargo on any ship: Lucky the Parrot
- If this crew is eliminated, place it on your home island: El Phantasma
- If this ship wins a boarding party, she may capture the crew with the highest point cost instead of eliminating it. This captured crew becomes cargo worth its point cost in gold when unloaded at your home island: Barstow, Bonny Peel, Blackbeard
- After this ship resolves a shoot action, she may move as a free action: Blackheart, Jack Hawkins, Benito de Soto
- Fear: Cursed Captain Barbossa, Captain Davy Jones
- Once per turn, roll a d6. On a 1–4, you may give this ship an extra action; on a 5, you may give any ship you control an extra action; on a 6, you may give an enemy ship an action: Emperor Blackheart
- If this ship wins a ram roll against a sea monster or titan, remove two segments instead of one: Empress
- When this ship hits an enemy ship, you may also eliminate one cargo from that ship: Capitaine Chevalle
- At the beginning of each of your turns, roll a d6. On a result of 4–6, instead of giving this ship an action, choose two whirlpools from outside the game. Put one L away from this ship and one L away from a wild island. Neither can be placed so that it touches any island or ship. This ship does not have to roll for effect when she uses a whirlpool: Calypso
- Each time any crew would be eliminated, roll a d6. On a result of 6, put that crew on this ship instead; it is linked to Davy Jones. If a kraken is in your fleet, Davy Jones can declare a ship a target of the kraken (see kraken rules): Captain Davy Jones
- When this ship is given an explore action, you can swap a treasure on the wild island with a crew on any friendly ship: Captain Jack Sparrow
- Once at the beginning of each of your turns, roll a d6. On a result of 6, no abilities except Parley can be used until the beginning of your next turn: Cursed Captain Jack
- Parley: Jack Sparrow, Cursed Captain Jack, Damsel In Distress, Captain Mysion
- When given an explore action, if this ship chooses the last treasure coin from an island, this ship can be given a move action: Jack Sparrow
- This ship may unload cargo at your home island if she's within S of it: Mistress Ching
- Once per turn, this ship can randomly take one treasure from any ship she touches: Pintel
- Captain/Helmsman combo: Hammersmith
- When this ship hits an enemy ship on a 6, the controller eliminates an extra mast. On a 1, eliminate a mast from this ship: Captain Mysion
- Explorer. Once per turn, you can reroll any die roll you make for this ship; you must use the second die roll result. (note: included because he’s the ideal crew for Mysterious Islands): Coconut
- When this ship hits another ship, you choose which mast is eliminated: Ammand the Corsair, Phillipe Laffite

Spain

- Once per turn when this ship hits an enemy ship, also eliminate one crew from that ship: Comandante Antonio de Silva, Duque Alfonzo de Castilla
- All of this ship's cannons have L range: Master Gunner Rogelio Vazquez
- This ship ignores the first hit she takes each turn as long as she has all of her masts: Joaquin Vega
- This ship may unload cargo at your home island if she's within S of it: Bianco's Haulers
- When this ship hits another ship, you choose which mast is eliminated: Gonzalo Mora
- Captain (2 points): Luis Zuan
- Explorer. This ship gets +1 cargo spaces. This crew takes up no cargo space. (note: only version with this combo): Dominic Freda
- Once per turn give any ship in your fleet +1 to all of her cannon rolls: Roberto Santana
- Secret Hold, Cargo Master: Master Bianco
- This ship can't be shot at while docked: Bianco's Haulers

France

- This ship gets +1 to her boarding rolls. She gets +2 instead if her opponent is a sea monster or submarine: Ned Lands
- If this ship succeeds at a boarding party, choose two of the following: eliminate a crew, take a treasure, or eliminate a mast: Capitaine Arazure
- Once per turn, this ship may look at one face-down cargo on any ship: Didier Vidal
- Parley: Lenoir, Duncan Rousseau
- Instead of giving this ship an action this turn, you can give another ship in your fleet two actions: Capitaine Baudouin Deleflote
- Marine (for 5 points): Gendarmerie Rene Moreau

America

- All of this ship's cannons have L range: Commander Albert Crenshaw
- Eternal: Gus Schultz, Ralph David
- Ghost Ship: Ralph David
- This ship gets +1 to her boarding rolls. She gets +2 instead if her opponent is a sea monster: Kodiak, Master CPO Charles Richard
- Once each time this ship is given an action, you can roll 2d6 any time you would roll a d6. Choose the result you want to use: Diamond Nelson Turner
- Cargo Master
- 0pt de-limiter, Captain (only instance of this combination, can be used internationally): Captain Charles Richard

Barbary Corsairs

- If this ship wins a boarding party, she may capture the crew with the highest point cost instead of eliminating it. This captured crew becomes cargo worth its point cost in gold when unloaded at your home island: Aruj Barbarossa

Jade Rebellion

- If this ship wins a boarding party, she may capture the crew with the highest point cost instead of eliminating it. This captured crew becomes cargo worth its point cost in gold when unloaded at your home island: Dragon Eyes
- When this ship hits an enemy ship, you may also eliminate one cargo from that ship: Kian Ng

Cursed

- Ghost Ship. If this crew is eliminated, place it on your home island: El Fantasma
- After this ship resolves a shoot action, she may move as a free action: El Fantasma
- If an enemy ship is within S of this ship you can use this ship's action for the turn to try to possess a target crew on that ship. Roll a d6, on a result of 6, the target is immediatly assigned to this ship. Its nationality changes to match the nationality of this ship: Papa Doc, Edward Low
- At the beginning of each of your turns, choose any ability possessed by any ship or crew in play; this character has that ability. You may make a different choice each turn: Davy Jones
- If this ship shoots at a ship that was previously shot at by another ship this turn, she gets +1 to her cannon rolls against that ship this turn: Devereaux
- Fear: El Fantasma (multiple variants,) Sammy the Skull, The Headhunter, The Unblinking 99, Wraith
- Once per turn, roll a d6. On a 1–4, you may give this ship an extra action; on a 5, you may give any ship you control an extra action; on a 6, you may give an enemy ship an action: Davy Jones
- Eternal: El Fantasma
- Whenever any crew is eliminated, roll a d6; on a result of 6, assign the crew to this ship. Its nationality changes to match the nationality of this ship and it becomes linked to this crew: Wraith
- Explorer, Navigator. (note: only example of this combination): Master Scribe

Mercenary

- If this ship wins a boarding party, she may capture the crew with the highest point cost instead of eliminating it. A captive becomes assigned to this ship, takes up no cargo space, and can use its abilities. The captive cannot leave this ship: Captain Nemo
- Ex-Patriot: basically every named Mercenary crew.
- Once per turn, this ship may randomly take two treasure from any ship she touches: Nikos Chelios

Viking

- If this ship succeeds at a boarding party, choose two of the following: eliminate a crew, take a treasure, or eliminate a mast: Skuld Blood-Axe
- This ship may dock at an enemy home island and take as much treasure as she can carry. If able, she must leave on your next turn: Grim the Savage

Last edited by godmason on Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:10 am; edited 9 times in total
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quote

Wow, I had no idea you were going to do this so quickly and comprehensively. Thanks for compiling this!
godmason

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
Wow, I had no idea you were going to do this so quickly and comprehensively. Thanks for compiling this!
No problem. Hopefully, it'll make novel fleet construction a little easier. I may need to do a follow-up of abilities/combinations that some factions don't have— I think Spain lacks a Fleet Admiral, for one.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:03 pm Reply with quote

godmason wrote:
I may need to do a follow-up of abilities/combinations that some factions don't have— I think Spain lacks a Fleet Admiral, for one.

Yeah, and the Pirates don't have a 0LR reroller. The Spanish also don't have a crew like Princess Arii Auraa, and the Cursed didn't get a canceller crew until RtSS with Papa Doc. Those are the only standouts that come to my mind immediately.
godmason

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:26 am Reply with quote

Yeah, didn't list RtSS because it was never officially released. This is making me want to do that followup list, but it'd probably take me deep into the night to complete.
ktulu
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:19 am Reply with quote

This was super interesting to read through. Thanks for making this list godmason! And this only reassured me that I need to really work on the Mercenaries named crew for my Mercenary rework.
godmason

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:05 am Reply with quote

Update: I have added a link in the OP to my Google sheet of abilities by faction. Check it out, it's kind of interesting, if I do say so myself.

ktulu wrote:
This was super interesting to read through. Thanks for making this list godmason! And this only reassured me that I need to really work on the Mercenaries named crew for my Mercenary rework.
I'd like to see what you come up with. They could almost be a decent faction if not for that keyword...

Edit: to avoid double posting, here's a small piece of analysis I came up with. This is a semi-complete total of all abilities available to a faction, not including the potential number added by crew of other factions.
- Pirate: 50 total = 21 exclusive + 29 shared (+Any Nationality)
- England: 40 total = 15 exclusive + 25 shared (+Any Nationality)
- Spain: 33 total = 11 exclusive + 22 shared (+Jade, Barbary, Black Mark)
- France: 32 total = 5 exclusive + 27 shared (+Any Nationality)
- America: 30 total = 7 exclusive + 23 shared
- Cursed: 24 total = 10 exclusive + 14 shared (+Any Nationality)
- Corsair: 8 total = 1 exclusive + 7 shared (+Pirate)
- Jade: 11 total = 2 exclusive + 9 shared (+Pirate)
- Mercenary: 12 total = 3 exclusive + 9 shared
- Viking: 9 total = 2 exclusive + 7 shared

A bunch of these stand to gain from Ex-Patriot crew. I'm gonna try to put together a rough number of how many exclusive abilities can be scooped up by competing factions via crew like Cavendish that allow for abilities from other factions, before ship-to-ship point limits are taken into account.

Last edited by godmason on Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote

Unlocked for an edit.
godmason

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:34 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
Unlocked for an edit.
Thanks, Ben. Additions have been made, and just for the heck of it, here's a snippet of what Return to Savage Shores would have added. There are some crazy powerful abilities that would have spread to other factions, and new ones the game would have pioneered. I bet Roimata would be a mainstay in French fleets, and the SAC or reducer captain options would have done really neat stuff with the Mercenaries, and by extension, the minor factions.

Pirate

- If this ship wins a boarding party, she can either take as much treasure from the other ship as she wants, up to her available cargo space or can eliminate all of the other ship’s crew: The Headhunter

England

- Choose a ship within S of this ship. If there are any unique treasures on that ship, that ship’s controller shows them to you. This ship can load one unique treasure from that ship, if able: Tobias Huntington
- Once each time this ship is given an action, you can roll 2d6 any time you would roll a d6. Choose the result you want to use: Countess Diana Doone

Spain

- Captain, Musketeer: Commandante Antonio de Silva
- Marine. Once per turn, you can eliminate one of this ship’s crew to give her an extra action: Sebastián Rojo

France

- Captain. Once per turn before you give this ship an action, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, this ship can be given the same action twice: Lady Roimata

America

- Instead of giving this ship an action this turn, you can give another ship in your fleet two actions: George Washington LeBeaux

Cursed

- This ship gets +1 to her boarding rolls. Once per turn, one crew or ship within S of this ship can’t use its ability that turn: Papa Doc

Mercenary

- Ex-Patriot. Once per turn, you can eliminate one of this ship’s crew to give her an extra action: Huang Bai
- Captain. Place this crew face up during setup. Reduce the cost of all other crew placed on this ship by 1: Vinicio Castillo
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:22 pm Reply with quote

This is another thread I think I'd like to keep unlocked indefinitely.

~~~~~
Check out my fansite at Pirates with Ben!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: