main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Pirates CSG Basic Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kingofthe7seas

Canceled user





Subject: Pirates CSG Basic Discussion   PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote

Hey, I'll start this conversation with a question... does anyone know why Pirates CSG got shut down?
Back to top
a7xfanben
Avatar for a7xfanben
Guru
Guru


Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 5466

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote

Hopefully this will help:

Wikipedia page

Announcement by The Topps Company

An introduction, and some thoughts...

WizKids: Reactions and Next Steps

Also, the Thread of Threads was where I went to grab these links. It has a lot more if you're willing to investigate a bit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kingofthe7seas

Canceled user





Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch! Now for my next Q... have you ever participated in a Pirates CSG official tournament before? Unfortunately, I was introduced to the game years after it was discontinued, so I never got a chance. Sad
Back to top
a7xfanben
Avatar for a7xfanben
Guru
Guru


Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 5466

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote

kingofthe7seas wrote:
Thanks a bunch! Now for my next Q... have you ever participated in a Pirates CSG official tournament before? Unfortunately, I was introduced to the game years after it was discontinued, so I never got a chance. Sad


I wish! I got into the game in 2005-2006 before the second set (Crimson Coast) came out in 2005, but I wasn't aware of the online community or any tournaments being hosted. I didn't do much with Pirates from 2007-2009, and then got back into it in 2010-2011, after which the tournaments were long gone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kingofthe7seas

Canceled user





Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote

I personally think I'm pretty good at the game, and looking at those old promos and tournament prizes that used to be handed out (not to mention the online game opportunities) makes me feel like I missed out on all da booty a Pirate could hope fer! Crying or Very sad
Back to top
kingofthe7seas

Canceled user





Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote

Let's talk about those awesome 10 mast Junks! Which are you guys' favorite? Mine happens to be the Celtic Fury... Smile
Back to top
volt
Avatar for volt
Guru
Guru


Joined: 03 Apr 2011
Posts: 713

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote

The Celtic Fury is my favorite, mostly because of her look and my ancestry. However, there is no contest that the best of them is the Zeus . It is the cheapest and has access to the best set of crew in the game. Shui Xian would probably be second because her guns are better and England has better fighting crew. (I have yet to try a Griffin combo though heh)

The other three while pretty are unplayable in any game under 80 pts in my opinion.

Then there is the RTSS ones... oh how I wished they were made =(
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notalwaysyou
Avatar for notalwaysyou
Master
Master


Joined: 25 Sep 2010
Posts: 282

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote

volt wrote:
The Celtic Fury is my favorite, mostly because of her look and my ancestry. However, there is no contest that the best of them is the Zeus . It is the cheapest and has access to the best set of crew in the game. Shui Xian would probably be second because her guns are better and England has better fighting crew. (I have yet to try a Griffin combo though heh)

The other three while pretty are unplayable in any game under 80 pts in my opinion.

Then there is the RTSS ones... oh how I wished they were made =(


You beat me to everything I wanted to say. While I like the looks of some of the others better, the Zeus stands out as the objectively best 10-master by a mile. Though the SS ones are pretty nice.

Though, my brother seems to think the Baochuan might be able to hold her own in a 60 point, multiple player game. We're planning on testing that this summer if we can schedule it. (I doubt it, but I am shocked at how promising it feels.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kingofthe7seas

Canceled user





Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I think the Zeus is the mightiest ship (I mean, the name clearly indicates that anyway), but I have Irish roots, so that's why I love the CF. Wink
Back to top
kingofthe7seas

Canceled user





Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote

Ya know, I'm so hooked on this Pirate CSG game (and so naturally competitive) that I only have one sibling who plays it with me now. All the others chicken out whenever I ask them to participate. Sad
Back to top
volt
Avatar for volt
Guru
Guru


Joined: 03 Apr 2011
Posts: 713

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:19 pm Reply with quote

notalwaysyou wrote:

You beat me to everything I wanted to say. While I like the looks of some of the others better, the Zeus stands out as the objectively best 10-master by a mile. Though the SS ones are pretty nice.

Though, my brother seems to think the Baochuan might be able to hold her own in a 60 point, multiple player game. We're planning on testing that this summer if we can schedule it. (I doubt it, but I am shocked at how promising it feels.)


I played the Celtic Fury in a 60 pt game with I think 7 people. I did pack it with crew, and I was limited to Merc, Norse, Barbary, and Jade, but the rest of the fleet suffered. Two ships attacked me thanks to double actions and I lost 7 masts in one round. I can't believe that the Baochuan would be any better, especially considering her mandatory linked crew.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kingofthe7seas

Canceled user





Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:15 am Reply with quote

Well that Jade Rebellion Junk is really like a massive treasure runner anyway. A very powerful treasure runner. Just stay out of the way of the fire potters, that's for sure! Rolling Eyes
Back to top
a7xfanben
Avatar for a7xfanben
Guru
Guru


Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 5466

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:58 am Reply with quote

I like the Zeus and Baochuan the best for aesthetics, and the Baochuan is fun to play in huge games when you can put a lot of crew on her and have her do a lot of different things.

I like the Delusion since it glows in the dark and was my first 10 master. Also, I like how since it's the most expensive ship in the game, you can put more points of crew on it than any other ship (at least 76 total points but I think I fit more one time! Shocked ).

I think about the Guichuan the least, partly because I don't have her.

I'm not a huge fan of the SS and RtSS 10 masters, but I recently used the Shui Xian in a game, and the Zhanfu was used in Economy Edition for a short time.

PS: So many new posts since I last logged in! Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xerecs
Avatar for xerecs
Guru
Guru


Joined: 22 May 2014
Posts: 2082

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:20 am Reply with quote

I have the Baochuan and the two from SS, and have access to a Delusion, but I don't really like her in terms of game play, the cannons are not to my liking. For that matter, none of the ten masters I have have cannons to my liking. The two that do are the Guichuan and the Zeus, the two hardest to acquire.

The Baochaun is serving the Americans in my CoE game,
Quote:
Well that Jade Rebellion Junk is really like a massive treasure runner anyway. A very powerful treasure runner.

which is essentially what she is doing for them, with some linked crew aboard, I have gotten 12 open spots for gold and equipment on her. The Shui-Xian saw a brief service with those same Amercians, but was sunk by fire pots, and an annoying Frenchman. Evil or Very Mad

However, recent developments in my game might allow for her and her counterpart, the Celtic Fury to come into play. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notalwaysyou
Avatar for notalwaysyou
Master
Master


Joined: 25 Sep 2010
Posts: 282

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:30 am Reply with quote

volt wrote:
notalwaysyou wrote:

You beat me to everything I wanted to say. While I like the looks of some of the others better, the Zeus stands out as the objectively best 10-master by a mile. Though the SS ones are pretty nice.

Though, my brother seems to think the Baochuan might be able to hold her own in a 60 point, multiple player game. We're planning on testing that this summer if we can schedule it. (I doubt it, but I am shocked at how promising it feels.)


I played the Celtic Fury in a 60 pt game with I think 7 people. I did pack it with crew, and I was limited to Merc, Norse, Barbary, and Jade, but the rest of the fleet suffered. Two ships attacked me thanks to double actions and I lost 7 masts in one round. I can't believe that the Baochuan would be any better, especially considering her mandatory linked crew.


Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Luckily, since we'd be playing with his friends, and they're both very new to the game, I should be able to slip by with out attracting too much attention.

kingofthe7seas wrote:
Well that Jade Rebellion Junk is really like a massive treasure runner anyway. A very powerful treasure runner. Just stay out of the way of the fire potters, that's for sure!


That is my advantage, though 10-masters always carry large risks. The challenge was to use only her so I'm mostly afraid of falling behind in gold. HOWEVER, I'm going to use some funky rulings to see if I can't catch up. Thanks to the Treasure Ship keyword

Quote:
If this ship is linked to a crew, it must begin the game with that crew aboard.
Crew do not take up cargo space on this ship, but their combined point costs can never exceed this ship’s
point cost (their values cannot be reduced).
Once per turn this ship may move S after loading or unloading cargo.

and thanks to the rules on links
Pirate Code wrote:

-Multiple different crew may be linked to a single ship at once, but each crew can link with only one other crew or ship at a time unless an ability specifically allows additional links to be created.
-Links always add one cargo space to a ship, which is then occupied by the crew. They do not cause crew to take up less space even though the effective result is similar. This distinction is significant when using certain abilities.

I'm going to have a SAC-based Baochuan with multiple extra cargo spaces due to links and, like, 10 oarsmen to guarantee a second action most every (if not every) turn in the game. Given Admiral Zheng He's explore ability, a helmsman, the Baochuan's post-loading movement and the fact that none of the SAC-fodder take up space I'm planing on just getting a few island's worth of gold at once before returning home and desperately making sure I can get the first strike on enemy ships.
At this point I might just make an army to show off my plan and detail all of it. It's certainly no guarantee of a win, but it was a super fun build so I hope I get the chance to use it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.11 © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
[Total forum time spent: 0.0828 seconds]


search for a miniature | miniatures you have | miniatures you want | look for trades
your messages | references | miniature reviews | forums
affiliates | links | advertise with us | help



Search:  

dish network south windsor connecticut
ClassicFilmWorks.com