main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

wholesale from china through DHgate

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Coolest part of Pirates CSG? (for you)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Coolest part of Pirates CSG? (for you)   PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote

What is your favourite aspect of this game? It can be a particular fleet, ship, scenario, part of the rules, or just about anything (I think we know what woelf would say Wink ).

I love that the game is so customizable and unique. There are a few other games (like Sails of Glory) that use miniature ships, but none where you can build each and every ship and have so many different ship and crew types available. The different combinations of fleet setups are essentially limitless!

I love how unlimited the game is in terms of size, scope, and area. You can have a build total as small as (realistically) 10 or as high as infinity! Your play area is only limited by how big your table or floor is. Unlike almost ALL other games there is no limit to movement. There are no predetermined routes on which to sail, and no concrete "quests" or goals that every player must complete. You can sail anywhere you like and do whatever you like.

(I played Ticket to Ride recently and although it's a good game, I was struck by how limited everything was. There's only so many routes, and only so many cities to go through. With Pirates there's just open ocean and an unlimited number of potential fleets to sail out in search of gold and glory!)
lt_v

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote

I think you have summed up my thoughts for the most point. I started to write a rule set including new ways to play.

I havent been working on it for the past year due to not having much time due to work and school, but I'll be finished my last course the end of this month. So I'll start to ramp up again afterwards.

It is a great game and when it was active, it was always fun to buy a couple of packs for a few dollars and have new ships and cards to play with, I miss those days Smile
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote

lt_v wrote:
I havent been working on it for the past year due to not having much time due to work and school, but I'll be finished my last course the end of this month. So I'll start to ramp up again afterwards.

It is a great game and when it was active, it was always fun to buy a couple of packs for a few dollars and have new ships and cards to play with, I miss those days Smile

I'd love to see another variant! Sounds like a lot of fun.

As to your last point, I actually like not being "complete" (not even close). It's actually almost as much fun to want something, since the excitement fades once you get used to having it. I'm getting some new SS stuff next week and I can't wait to try it out! It would be cool if new sets were still coming out though!
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:35 am Reply with quote

I definitely have to stand with a7x and say my favorite aspect of the game is its boundless nature. You can create countless scenarios, play massive deathmatches. With playing space being the only real limitation, there is literally an infinite number of things you can do with this game.
ziotoo4

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:09 pm Reply with quote

The 'one game in every pack' is what got me hooked. Very easy to get people in the game when all you need to play is a single pack.

That's how me and my dad started - one pack each, more then 10 years ago Very Happy

I pulled a Greyhound and Bonnie Liz and he, well, he got the HMS Titan along with a captain. It took some more packs for me to win my first game Smile
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote

The theme was what really got me--I just love the age of sail! I came in just about the time Revolution came out, and so I was around right when the game still had some semblance to history.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:42 am Reply with quote

I got into the game right about the time official production stopped, I think. I too love how customizable and limitless the game is, as a7 and Capt. V. have said. My favorite part of the game is playing large matches with my brothers. It's quite exciting, if sometimes frustrating, but we all still come back and play.

I'm not sure if Wiz kids intended the game to be inspiring to it's players, but it has. For me at least, looking at all the cool and nifty things that can be done, inspire me to try them as well. As much thanks should be given to the Pirates players on MT as to the creators of this wonderful game.

Further, this game hasn't just inspired me to play game variants, it has inspired, and provided this budding writer with an exciting new subject, one that I am looking forward to writing.
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:23 am Reply with quote

As well as the whole range of play aspects- i do want to play my "fog shrouded" scenario when i get a chance- I like the whole constructable aspect. Typically- there are board games with generic tokens, card games, then games like DnD and Tankhauser that use figures and those can get pricy.

Here's a game- that's relatively inexpensive, that you can get something as impressive to build as the Divine Dragon or El Toro , or something relatively "mundane" as Santa Lucia or Squalo .

And this isn't flimsy- gonna bend past the point of repair- cardboard, this is a good plastic product that snaps if you force it- then you're really screwed. :p

That's the beauty of another aspect of the game- customization. If you snapped a mast, you can pull the masts of another ship (of course you can't use the stats of the masts unless they're the same) and use it. it would be kinda creepy to see Last Hope with Flying Dutchman sails?
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote

Things I like best (in no particular order):

-Open-ended nature of the game - Even though the focus is on collecting gold and to a lesser extent combat, there are a ton of ways to get there. You're not locked into two or three specific strategies.

-Customization (Rules) - It's extremely easy to implement house rules. If there's something, no matter how major or minor that you don't like about the standard rules, just change it. If you want to add something to the rules, that's great too. As long as everyone playing knows about it ahead of time it generally won't be a problem, and often it makes the game much better. For example: I never use the standard rule where the game ends immediately when half the treasure is collected, nor do I use the rule about splitting treasure on sunken ships. Every coin counts, and if treasure goes down it stays down (unless you have some way to go get it).

-Customization (Ships & Crew) - I haven't really played around with physically constructing new ships or crew, but from a more theoretical standpoint, it's really easy to come up with ideas for new ships and abilities to add to the game as custom items. Even if they never got posted to a public forum or were never even written down, I'd imagine that almost everyone that has ever played this game has thought up at least a few ideas at some point.

-No direct link between rarity and quality - This game is very unusual (compared to typical collectible games) in that the harder-to-get items are not significantly better than anything you can find in standard boosters. In fact, the SR/SE/PR/LE/etc. items are often not as good as what you can get from packs. One of the absolute best ships in the entire game is a COMMON. When does that ever happen in a collectible game? This really helps alleviate the "suitcase" problem that you see all the time in games like M:TG and countless others, where the players who spent the most money are the ones most likely to win simply because their stuff is so much better. In Pirates, even "low-budget" players have a decent chance of success. Having more stuff certainly provides more options, but it doesn't guarantee you'll win more often.

-Turtles - Because Turtles Laughing

-----------------------------

Things I dislike:

-Power Inequality (Individual Items) - With well over 1000 items in the game this is unavoidable, because there's no way to "perfectly" balance even a small fraction of that without an obscene amount of playtesting, and that's simply not an option. However, what isn't so good is how in various sets along the line certain items were added that were drastically better than similar items, or worse, things were added that were basically obsolete before they ever had a chance. Just look how many fleets use Banshee's Cry . And, when was the last time anyone honestly chose to use a ship with a base move of S when something faster was available (with the exception of El Acorazado or the two or three other specific ships with enough redeeming qualities to offset it)?

-Power Creep & Regression (Sets) - Another aspect that seems unavoidable in collectible games, and actually wasn't horrible in this one, but from one set to the next there was often a noticeable increase or decrease in the strength and playability of the items in it. Revolution was probable the worst offender on the high end, while Frozen North went the opposite direction. The effect is relatively minor once you mix everything together, but the next few times you're building fleets, take a mental note of which sets the items are coming from (and which they aren't) - you may start to notice some trends.

-The FAQ - I'm the first to admit that this thing is a beast. It's waaay too long for what should be a fairly simple game, but with all of the crazy combinations possible it's a necessary evil. The alternative would have been to let the rules devolve into a chaotic mess where no one would ever be sure if they were playing the same game as everyone else, which also would have almost certainly killed the game years ago. Much of that problem stems from that fateful decision somewhere back between SM and CC, where player demands for tournament rules forced what was originally designed as a fast and loose "beer&pretzels" game to become a very strict and tight game with universally-enforceable rules. What should have been done immediately was to give the rules a complete and thorough overhaul along with updates/errata for any problematic ability text, but instead it was just given patches over patches, and after a couple more sets came out it was far too late to turn back, at least not without alienating half the player base.
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
-The FAQ - I'm the first to admit that this thing is a beast. It's waaay too long for what should be a fairly simple game, but with all of the crazy combinations possible it's a necessary evil. The alternative would have been to let the rules devolve into a chaotic mess where no one would ever be sure if they were playing the same game as everyone else, which also would have almost certainly killed the game years ago. Much of that problem stems from that fateful decision somewhere back between SM and CC, where player demands for tournament rules forced what was originally designed as a fast and loose "beer&pretzels" game to become a very strict and tight game with universally-enforceable rules. What should have been done immediately was to give the rules a complete and thorough overhaul along with updates/errata for any problematic ability text, but instead it was just given patches over patches, and after a couple more sets came out it was far too late to turn back, at least not without alienating half the player base.
And for that, we thank you for taking the time to work on it for us.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote

This is a beautiful thread.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:31 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:

It is, why haven't more people replied to it? Mad
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:31 am Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
a7xfanben wrote:

It is, why haven't more people replied to it? Mad

Everyone pretty much has. This isn't exactly a thriving forum, and the game has been OoP for several years.

One thing i also like about this game, is the level design and creative thinking that went into designing several of the ships.
Look at Submarines and Flotillas- there had to be some serious conversations about how they can be assembled. Then i get to thinking about how to get all the pieces on to the least number of cards.
Look at the 6-mast Junkers- getting all those pieces on to the least number of cards. Likewise with the one-card 2-mast sloops- getting all those pieces onto one card with a text box. :p

imagine those Mega-card ships on regular sized cards- how many of them can actually fit onto them with the least number of cards?

The design of the game pieces is absent in the current market.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote

selvaxri wrote:
Everyone pretty much has. This isn't exactly a thriving forum, and the game has been OoP for several years.

That's part of the reason I love the thread so much - just about all the active members have chimed in. Come to think of it, the game has been OOP for more years (6+) than it was produced for (5+).

selvaxri wrote:
One thing i also like about this game, is the level design and creative thinking that went into designing several of the ships.
Look at Submarines and Flotillas- there had to be some serious conversations about how they can be assembled. Then i get to thinking about how to get all the pieces on to the least number of cards.
Look at the 6-mast Junkers- getting all those pieces on to the least number of cards. Likewise with the one-card 2-mast sloops- getting all those pieces onto one card with a text box. :p

imagine those Mega-card ships on regular sized cards- how many of them can actually fit onto them with the least number of cards?

The design of the game pieces is absent in the current market.

It really is quite impressive, especially the blockade runners and turtle ships, not to mention flotillas. That being said, it's almost a shock to build a ship like the Hades' Flame because both cards are so empty!
notalwaysyou
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:20 am Reply with quote

Here, I've put some thought into it, so now a rarely-active member will chime in Laughing

The two big things I enjoyed most about this game was that:

my brother and I ended up with delightfully opposing flagships, as my brother's flagship was the HMS Endeavour, and I eventually pulled a Constitution to counter her with. We chose early on that our nations of choice were the British and the Americans, respectively.

Relating more to the game itself, I did love the variety that was appearin through the sets. Having pieces ranging from little 1-masted boats to gargantuan 10-masted junks, that could face off against Viking longships, Scorpion ships, and a whole ecosystem of sea monsters.

It was always my favorite part of a new expansion to pull all the new types of ships, which is why Ocean's Edge, Frozen North, and South China Seas were all some of my favorite expansions to open brand new packs of.
Which is also why my second favorite nation to play, despite my spotty collection, is the Jade Rebellion, because I love the designs of all the ships.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: