main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

wholesale from china through DHgate

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Ranking: American Gold Runners

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Ranking: American Gold Runners   PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote

I was originally only going to rank 5 American gold runners, but as with the English they are generally underrated when it comes to treasure. They have some good options, just not as many.

Top 10 American Gold Runners:

1. Frontier

I have used the Frontier on many occasions, and she is just fantastic. Decent speed, HUGE cargo, Hoist ability. She is expensive, but in this case the high point cost is justified.

2. Native Canoes

Native Canoes are generally some of the best treasure runners available to any faction, but for the Americans they are a life saver.

These canoes are unique because they're faster than the Spanish and Cursed canoes. They also have that treasure ability, which lets you create fun fleets like this one.

3. Providence

This ship could be ranked a bit lower, but her size and gun ranks give her a nice bite. With an explorer she'll have room for 4 coins at 13 points.

4. USS James Madison

This is a fantastic ship that I've finally acquired. Very underrated ship, with an explorer you'll have 3 cargo spaces left over for gold that you can spot with her nice ability. Again, 3 masts is a nice bonus for a very fairly-priced gold runner.

Each of the next three are pretty equal in my opinion, I just ranked them this way based on their durability.

5. Carolina

This one is a nice option to have at just 7 points. With a helmsman or explorer she'll make for a decent treasure runner.

6. Rattlesnake

The Rattlesnake is slow but very cheap. With a helmsman and explorer she'll be going L+S with room for 3 coins for 8 points total, a great deal for a faction like the Americans.

7. USS Annapolis

This one just needs a helmsman and she'll be ready to go. Her built-in explorer saves a valuable cargo space, but one mast is always a gamble in terms of fragility.

8. Nene-nui

This one is similar to the James Madison but she's pretty expensive to use only as a treasure runner. If not for Savage Shores the Americans would really be lacking for gold runners.

9. Lynx

This is another ship that runs out at S+S+S, grabs 3 coins, and comes back at S+S.

10. Roanoke

This is one of those ships that you don't know which crew to put on her. A simple setup with a captain, helmsman, and explorer would work great. Either way you're going to end up spending a lot of points on the Roanoke. Her access to Pirate crew makes things even more interesting because they have so many great named crew and the Americans have a relative lack of great named crew. Her cargo hold is big enough that you could even use the old Norvegia setup with Gilbert! Depending on how you crew her, the Roanoke could potentially move up a few spots on this list.

Honorable mentions (in no particular order): Pawtucket, USS Morning Star, Hessian, Louisiana, Harlequin, Speedy Return, Argo

Last edited by a7xfanben on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:11 am Reply with quote

Good list - I've never been able to use the Frontier yet in a game... so hard to fit her in a normal 40 pt game.

I would give the Peacock an honorable mention. She only has 2 cargo, so an explorer isn't a real option, but her speed is awesome and not terribly priced, for America anyway heh.

I also like the Argo but my group uses a lot of terrain, so maybe I overvalue her ability. Great speed though so I would list her in honorable mention.
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:16 am Reply with quote

I would throw the USS Destiny into the honorable mentions, but only because she is dirt cheap relative to the rest of the American fleet, and so can bring in a fair amount of coins for the cost. She is usually the go-to secondary runner for any of my American fleets just because she can fit in so well, especially if Commodore Matthew Perry is involved.
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:46 am Reply with quote

It's a shame Speedy Return didn't make it onto the list, but given its cost I can understand why. However, it is incredibly durable, having two out-riggers to absorb damage and prevent boarding on top of an innate ability to "dodge" cannon fire 1/3 of the time.
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote

I was thinking that USS Aaron Burr could be used not only as a gold running but a gold interceptor as well. give her a Helmsman, and she still has 4 cargo left to loot from opposing ships that run her way.
but for 11 points, i can see why people shy away from her.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote

volt wrote:
I would give the Peacock an honorable mention. She only has 2 cargo, so an explorer isn't a real option, but her speed is awesome and not terribly priced, for America anyway heh.

I also like the Argo but my group uses a lot of terrain, so maybe I overvalue her ability. Great speed though so I would list her in honorable mention.

I've usually thought of the Peacock as a support gunship, but she isn't a bad option for the Americans.

I somehow missed the Argo and have included her in the honorable mentions list.

selvaxri wrote:
I was thinking that USS Aaron Burr could be used not only as a gold running but a gold interceptor as well. give her a Helmsman, and she still has 4 cargo left to loot from opposing ships that run her way.
but for 11 points, i can see why people shy away from her.

Yeah the Aaron Burr is one of those interesting ships you don't really know what to do with. Her speed holds her back from being an HM on this list but with a captain and helmsman she can be a decent hybrid ship. I would add the captain because her guns are effective and they would help soften the target to help her win the boarding party, which could be difficult since she's a small ship.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: