main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

wholesale from china through DHgate

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
New Pirate Rules
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject: New Pirate Rules   PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:54 am Reply with quote

Hello, it's been a while since I've been here, so a few things:

What I've been up to:
-education
-new pirate rules

So recently I felt that in pirates games, it felt like certain ships were being ignored and some types of play were being discouraged. So I made a new game type that has some similarities to Catan (and also Woelf's version, but with my own twists), but with its own resources and management and a different method of acquisition. I'll post the rules up when I feel that they're more understandable and that way I can get feedback and share it with everyone (although that seems like it wont be very many, haha).

I've also been making new custom pieces to go with this new rule set, so when I can, I'll try to post pictures of those.
ahoy_scott
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote

I started a similar project in 2010. Some construction I need to do on the gameboard to realize my vision has held me in check for about 3 years. It's still near to my heart though; and I continue acquiring pieces to make "my" Pirates game better. Now that I have moved into a new home (with a mortgage, gulp!) where I'll be for likely 10 years, hopefully I'll make some progress.

In the interim, though, I look forward to seeing your stuff, cannonfury! Smile
lord_denton
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote

Welcome to have ye back on board cannonfury. Smile I think you might be surprised how many people still are out there considering this thread has 41 views since you posted it. Wink I totally agree with you some ships and types of play totally don't get used. I look forward to seeing your work. Smile
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:33 am Reply with quote

Here are the rules, if anything seems unclear, feel free to give me feedback so I can fix it. The intention is to get that mercantilism and piracy feel into the game, as well as rewarding actual raiding through the stealing of resources. This makes boarding more important and gives a greater benefit to home island raiders.

If any of my intentions or reasoning seems strange, ask away and I'll answer as best as I can.

And for tokens and such, I'm still in the process of molding them from clay, so when I finish I'll show those too!

Gameplay Rules

Notes:
-all ships must be unique, no duplicates
-all named crew must be unique, but there can be multiple copies of generic crew
-unique treasure may be used, but note that due to the nature of some of these changes, they may no longer function as intended

Starting Conditions: A 40 point build order is recommended for beginning play. Fleets can be mixed, but pure fleets are best. 6 to 20 islands can be used, with home islands placed at opposite ends of the playing area. Each player begins at their home islands, with no resources. Islands no longer have gold coins placed on them, instead they are simply empty wild islands. Players take turns and move their ships, performing as per normal Pirates CSG rules.

Victory Conditions: A player wins when one of three conditions are met:
-time limit: The player with the most gold coins (not resources) wins after a set amount of time has passed
-fleet elimination: All enemy ships have been sunk, even if islands are still generating resources
-trade monopoly: All resource generating islands belong to one player
Players may surrender if they feel that they no longer have a chance at fulfilling any of these victory conditions.

Action Modifications

Explore Actions: An explore action at a wild island takes a turn, as usual. Instead of collecting gold, an encampment token is placed instead, and the island begins generating appropriate resources per turn. These resources remain on the island they were produced on; it is only converted to gold coins until a ship transfers the commodity to the home island. Upon arrival at the home island, all commodities are immediately unloaded as a free action. They can then be converted or stored as the player pleases.

Repair Actions: Repair actions occur normally, with the exception that a ship carrying both hemp and ash resources may repair a mast at sea, per the shipwright rules.

Combat Actions: Combat actions occur normally, although boarding actions have received updates and new actions, blockading and razing, have been created.

Resources

Textiles: Needed for sails and clothing, textiles are a key part of the trading industry.
-Cotton: uncommon commodity
Value: 2 gold, 1 cargo
-Silk: rare commodity. A ship can only carry 1 silk per mast
Value: 5 gold, 0 cargo
-Hemp: can be used to repair one mast in conjunction with ash. A ship can only carry 1 hemp per mast
Value: 1 gold, 0 cargo

Lumber: Fundamental for ship and settlement building, lumber is the basic building block of any naval civilization.
-Mangrove: common commodity; a ship can only carry 1 mangrove per mast
Value: 1 gold, 0 cargo
-Oak: uncommon commodity; used to upgrade to ships of the line
-Ash: common commodity; can be used to repair one mast in conjunction with hemp; this repair action takes one turn.
Value: 1 gold, 1 cargo

Spices: Useful for preserving and improving the taste of foods, spices were highly sought after
-Pepper: rare commodity. A ship can only carry 1 pepper per mast.
Value: 5 gold, 0 cargo
-Salt: uncommon commodity.
Value: 3 gold, 1 cargo
-Sugar: common commodity

Fish: A food source from the sea, fish are bountiful and whales provide a large source of oil.
-Cod: common commodity
-Tuna: uncommon commodity
Value: 4 gold, 1 cargo
-Whale: rare commodity, creates oil
Value: 6 gold, 1 cargo

Metal Ores: Stronger than wood, metals allow for the construction of sturdier ships and deadlier weapons—as well as providing the means for paying for them.
-Iron: used to upgrade to ships of the line
-Gold: can be used to mint gold coins. One gold creates a coin of value 7. Can be traded at a trading port for any rare commodity.
Value: raw 5, cargo 2
-Silver: can be traded at a trading port for any uncommon commodity.
Value: raw 3, cargo 2

Exotic Commodities: The rare items crews find on their journeys through the world’s seas—from the beautiful to the wild to the truly cryptic.
-Jewels: rare commodity. A ship can only carry 1 jewel per mast
Value: 6 gold, 0 cargo
-Animals: rare commodity. A ship can only carry 1 animal per mast
-Artifacts: rare commodity. A ship can only carry 1 artifact per mast

Technology Upgrades

Islands: An island upgrade is bought at the home island, and a token of 1 cargo space can be loaded onto any ship. That ship must go to the previously explored island and unload the token as a free action. On the next turn, the island is upgraded. If a ship is sunk on transit, the token is lost and another must be purchased.

-Encampment: Automatically created after an explore action. Abilities that remove explore actions can eliminate encampments. Allows for the extraction of lumber; grants one ash or one mangrove per turn

-Fort: An encampment may be upgraded to a fort per the normal rules. A fort generates no resources, but ships may now repair at this island. Crew may also be hired at this island.

-Town: An encampment may be upgraded to a town by paying 5 gold and 5 ash. Abilities that remove explore actions do not eliminate towns. Allows for the extraction of lumber and ores; grants one oak, one ash, and one iron ore per turn, or one cotton, one hemp, and one sugar per turn. Towns can be razed by enemy ships, they have no natural defenses and after three hits, are considered destroyed, and the island becomes unexplored in regards to all players.

-City: A town may be upgraded to a city by paying 10 gold, 5 iron ore, and 5 oak. Players have a choice between either a trading port, a mining establishment, or a military port; an island can only accommodate one.

1) Mining Establishment: All original benefits are removed. Instead, a mining establishment provides two iron ores, 1 gold ore, and 1 silver ore per turn. A mining establishment can be captured with a successful boarding action.

2) Trading Port: Allows a player to trade any three resources for a rare commodity. An opposing player’s ship may also dock at your trading port to trade commodities, but they must pay one resource to the owner in addition to the three resources being traded. Ships with the parley keyword do not have to pay this fee. A trading port can be blockaded by a ship of the line. A trading port grants one salt or pepper, in addition to what a town creates.

3) Military Port: Allows a player to create ships of the line, repair ships docked at this island as if it were a home island, and to deposit gold. Gold deposited here may be used to purchase crew or ships at this island. A military port cannot be blockaded, and acts as a four flag fort. Allows the minting of coins from gold ore, and the trading of silver ore for 5 gold coins.

Ships
-Fishing Trawler: a fishing trawler can be bought for 2 oak, 2 ash, 1 hemp, 1 mangrove, and 1 iron ore. This ship is not affected by reefs or Sargasso seas. This ship can spend a turn to fish from these terrain pieces.
-Upgrade 2: 1 oak, 1 ash, 1 hemp, 1 salt. Allows for the fishing of tuna
-Upgrade 3: 1 oak, 1 salt, 1 iron ore, 1 pepper. Allows for whaling and oil production
-Ship of the line: after the construction of a military port, ships of the line may be constructed at that island. This takes the cost of the ship in gold and a turn. A ship of the line is any ship of four masts or more. These ships may still be constructed from the home island at any time.
Merchantmen: This ship gains 2 extra cargo spaces.

Crew
-Explorer: Explorer crew has been updated. If a ship performs an explore action with an explorer on board, that ship automatically gains a random common commodity that is loaded onto that ship.
-Admiral: 2 silk, 3 silver ore, 2 iron ore. This crew resides on the home island; all ships of the line gain +1 to their cannon rolls. Limit.
-Governor: 3 jewels, 2 whale oil, 1 silver ore. This crew resides on the home island; all ships gain +1 cargo. Limit.
-Trade Master: 2 animals, 2 pepper, 1 silver ore. This crew resides on the home island; trade ports only require 2 commodities for a rare commodity. Limit.
-Scientist: 1 jewel, 1 gold ore, 1 silver. This crew may board any ship. Limit. You may choose one type.
-Archeologist: When a wild island is explored, roll a d6. On a roll of 6, you receive one artifact.
-Oceanographer: When a wild island is explored, roll a d6. On a roll of 6, your fleet’s map is updated, and one ship of your choice gains +S to their movement for one turn.
-Biologist: When a wild island is explored, roll a d6. On a roll of 5 or 6, you receive one exotic animal.

Updated/New Mechanics

-Boarding: after a successful boarding action, the winning ship may, in addition to taking gold or killing crew, may take up to three commodities, of any type, up to their maximum cargo space. A mining establishment can be considered to have 4 masts in a boarding roll, and are captured by the winning ship. If a ship loses a boarding roll against a mining establishment, the opposing player takes that ship, but all crew on board are removed from the game.

-Blockading: A trading port can be blockaded by a ship of the line. If a ship of the line docks at a trading port, that port is considered to be blockaded; all trading ceases and the player loses all bonuses, including the production of commodities. The blockading player gains the commodity bonuses, and can choose to take the commodities up to their cargo limit or remove them from the game.

-Razing: A town can be razed after a successful boarding action, it can be considered a 3 mast ship. If the boarding ship wins, the town is removed from the game, and the boarding ship receives all the commodities available, up to that ship’s cargo limit. If the town wins, the attacking ship must move +S away.

-Raiding: A ship with the home-island raiding ability can dock at an enemy home island and take as many commodities as she can carry. If able, she must leave on her next turn. If there is an advanced crew on the island that is raided, it is eliminated.

-Privateering: Once a trading port has been established, minor nations (Barbary Corsair, Jade Rebellion, Mercenaries, or Viking) may be hired by the major nations as privateers. The ship or crew is bought for gold worth its build cost at the trading port. The ship comes into play immediately at that island; it is considered a member of your nation for all purposes except that once it docks at the home island, a military port, or a trading port, it is removed from play, along with any crew of the same nationality aboard. It may be hired again once it has been removed from play for the same cost.
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I started a similar project in 2010. Some construction I need to do on the gameboard to realize my vision has held me in check for about 3 years. It's still near to my heart though; and I continue acquiring pieces to make "my" Pirates game better. Now that I have moved into a new home (with a mortgage, gulp!) where I'll be for likely 10 years, hopefully I'll make some progress.

Haha, yeah having time to finish things is what always gets in the way, not because of any lack of effort.

Quote:
Welcome to have ye back on board cannonfury. Smile I think you might be surprised how many people still are out there considering this thread has 41 views since you posted it. Wink I totally agree with you some ships and types of play totally don't get used. I look forward to seeing your work. Smile

And a thank you for the warm return welcome Smile
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:58 am Reply with quote

Some minor fixes to make a few things more clear, as well as adding a few new rule lines here and there to add extra fun. Changes are italicized.

Starting Conditions: A 40 point build order is recommended for beginning play. Fleets can be mixed, but pure fleets are best. Any ship type is allowed for the first starting fleet. 6 to 20 islands can be used, with home islands placed at opposite ends of the playing area. Each player begins at their home islands, with no resources.

Islands no longer have gold coins placed on them, instead they are simply empty wild islands. Unique treasures may be placed on wild islands face down at the start of the game. Players take turns and move their ships, performing as per normal Pirates CSG rules.

Resources
Resources are the main source of gold production in the game, but must first be converted for a set price at the home island into treasure coins, which can then be used to purchase ships, crew, equipment, etc.
Resources count as cargo, and abilities that affect treasure coins also affect resources (i.e. each of these coins is worth +1 gold…turns to each of these commodities is worth +1 of whichever commodity is in question).

-Fort: An encampment may be upgraded to a fort per the normal rules. A fort generates no resources, but ships may now repair at this island. Crew may also be hired at this island. Commodities may be unloaded at a fort, but they cannot be converted.

-Ship of the line: after the construction of a military port, ships of the line may be constructed at that island. This takes the cost of the ship in gold and a turn. A ship of the line is any ship of four masts or more. These ships may still be constructed from the home island at any time. Specialty ship types such as bombardiers, switchblades, and scorpion ships count as ships of the line.

-Fishing Trawler: A ship can be upgraded to a fishing trawler: it costs 2 oak, 2 ash, 1 hemp, 1 mangrove, and 1 iron ore. This ship is not affected by reefs or Sargasso seas. This ship can spend a turn to fish from these terrain pieces; it receives one fish commodity per turn, based off of its current upgrade.
-Nets(Upgrade 2): 1 oak, 1 ash, 1 hemp, 1 salt. Allows for the fishing of tuna
-Harpoons(Upgrade 3): 1 oak, 1 salt, 1 iron ore, 1 pepper. Allows for whaling and oil production

-Oceanographer: When a wild island is explored, roll a d6. On a roll of 6, your fleet’s map is updated, you may place one new wild island no closer than L away but no farther than 2L away from this island or any other island. It is considered unexplored in regards to all players.

-Explorer: Explorer crew has been updated. If a ship performs an explore action with an explorer on board, that ship automatically gains a random common commodity that is loaded onto that ship. Hoists also benefit from this ability.
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote

I also have a few new ship types in the make (I have a sloop-of-war, a clipper, a steamer, and a fishing ship already modeled) and once I get pictures and finish those up, they'll be added here, along with potential new keywords and abilities.

And opinions and constructive criticism are always appreciated. Very Happy
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:04 am Reply with quote

How would one post an image? I have a few pictures ready Very Happy
crebostar
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:58 am Reply with quote

Great stuff, I really like your addition of resources and how they are generated. Though now the game is a lot less like Pirates and more like Colonial Trading, lol.

Here's an idea, maybe. Each nationality should have unique mechanics/abilities. So maybe pirates would be more like pirates, English more like an imperialist power, Americans more like merchant traders, and the cursed more like hellspawn of the abyss!

Looking forward to seeing more of these rules!
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:19 am Reply with quote

crebostar wrote:
Great stuff, I really like your addition of resources and how they are generated. Though now the game is a lot less like Pirates and more like Colonial Trading, lol.

Here's an idea, maybe. Each nationality should have unique mechanics/abilities. So maybe pirates would be more like pirates, English more like an imperialist power, Americans more like merchant traders, and the cursed more like hellspawn of the abyss!

Looking forward to seeing more of these rules!

Thank you! Very Happy Haha, I wanted to get a better feel for piracy though, hence the increases to boarding, since it was more about the taking of goods and then selling them for a profit, but I could work to make piracy a more viable option.

As for the last idea, I hadn't thought of that, although I had considered making rules different for the Cursed (because let's face it, I'm sure they don't care much for getting resources Laughing ). I'd need to keep it balanced overall, but it does open up a lot of avenues of play that could justify some nations costs or weaknesses.
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote

So an attempt at making differences between factions:

Factional Attributes

America: The navy of the US is relatively small compared to other nations, but makes up for it by having very high quality sailing ships. Its mercantilism booms thanks to its New World resources.
- Lumber commodities gain +1 to their gold value when unloaded by American ships
- Fish commodities gain +1 to their gold value when unloaded by American ships

Barbary Corsair: Quick and lightly armed, Barbary Corsair galleys specialize in boarding and abduction.
-Every enemy crew that is eliminated by a Barbary Corsair ship is worth 1 gold to that player; it appears on their home island as a free action
-Spice commodities gain +1 to their gold value when unloaded by Barbary Corsair ships

Cursed: The stuff of legends and nightmares, the Cursed roam the seas preying on those foolish enough to believe that they do not exist.
-When the Cursed build an Admiral, all sea monsters gain the Eternal keyword
-When a Cursed ship boards an enemy vessel, the controller may choose to eliminate all of the commodities on board

England: The pride of the seas, the Royal Navy is the undisputed power on the water, with its giant man-o’-wars and ships of the line capable of unleashing a hail of firepower and its officers being some of the finest in the world.
-When a British military port is built, that player receives one free captain; it is immediately placed face down on that island and can be loaded by any ship in that fleet

France: A strong maritime power in its own right, France relies on the speed of its vessels to maintain a foothold on the world’s oceans.
-When a French military port is built, that player receives one free helmsman; it is immediately placed face down on that island and can be loaded by any ship in that fleet.

Jade Rebellion: A nation bent on removing the foreign empires from their land, the Jade Rebellion makes excellent use of their exotic vessels to confound larger vessels that sit low in the water.
-Jade Rebellion ships gain +1 to their cannon rolls against any non-Jade Rebellion military ports
-Textile commodities gain +1 to their gold value when unloaded by Jade Rebellion ships

Mercenary: Resourceful and loyal only to their own cause, the mercenaries offer outlandish craft to nations willing to pay the high costs of their operation.
-Mercenaries may be hired permanently by other nations, unlike standard privateers—this costs a one-time payment of 3 gold, and any mercenary ship put in play as per the privateer rules will no longer be removed from play

Pirate: Rogues and thieves, pirates plague the shipping lanes of other nations in the hopes of taking a fabulous prize beyond their wildest imaginations.
-Exotic commodities gain +1 to their gold value when unloaded by Pirate ships
-When the Pirates build a trading port, all ships gain +1 to their boarding rolls

Spain: Once the sovereign nation of the seas, Spain’s power has been declining steadily as the years passed. Despite this, they still have an enormous swath of land in the New World and their merchantmen are always brimming with rich cargo.
-Metal Ore commodities gain +1 to their gold value when unloaded by Spanish ships
-When the Spanish build a Trade Master, they may construct an additional trade port at no cost on any wild island that has been explored by that player and is not currently occupied.
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote

Oh, and of course, the mighty Viking nation Wink

Viking: A relic of a bygone age, most nations do not consider this resurrected Viking nation a threat, although from time to time they manage to take a heavily laden merchant vessel.
-Commodities obtained from boarding actions gain +1 to their gold value when unloaded at your home island
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote

To go along with these rules, some new keywords:

-Clipper: This ship gets +S to her base move when she carries commodities.

-Training ship: If a generic crew on another ship is eliminated, place it face down on this ship instead; its point cost does not count against this ship as long as it remains face down, however, each crew still occupies 1 cargo space.

-Gunboat: This ship’s printed cannon ranges are doubled.

-Steamship: If this ship becomes derelict, she may still move S. She gets +S to her base move if she has all of her masts.

-Fireship: When this ship rams an enemy ship, roll a d6; on a result of 3-6, remove both ships from the game, on a roll of 1, remove this ship. If this ship has no masts, she sinks.

-Merchantmen: This ship gains 2 extra cargo spaces when she carries an explorer.
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:59 am Reply with quote

Does the Explorer still take up a cargo space, and thus netting only 1 space?
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:03 am Reply with quote

captain_vendari wrote:
Does the Explorer still take up a cargo space, and thus netting only 1 space?

Yes, I thought it would just help explorer's be useful in the end game, as most islands are explored and they just sit around doing nothing. This way, for one point, you can essentially add one cargo space to a ship, and having it be two added cargo spaces means that the explorer doesn't take up space as usual.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: