main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Command the Oceans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote

krazykat wrote:
Whether or not you will have to stop abruptly, this has been an incredible experience to follow! Thank you for putting together these reports and sharing this awesome campaign with us!

Thank you and you're welcome! It has been incredible, and it will get more incredible in this final stretch... Shocked
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote

Sad to see this draw to a close, but the finish should be exciting! with the revision to combat rules, I think the Karkuda war will be most affected, since the Americans, French and Spanish all have decent to excellent gunships at their disposal. I feel that war now favors the Americans, with their stellar assortment of gunships, they should be able to halt and push back the French advance.

The Jade-Cursed war will also be affected by those rule changes, and it will probably be in the favor of the Cursed, since they have more ships with more accurate cannons than the Jades do, at least around the Roost where the action has been hottest.

I'm a fan of the 'no launching' rule, since it will speed things up. No more gold available means that runners could become fighters in a pinch. However I'm not a fan of the 'no repairing' since you've allowed ships to shoot at each other at their HI. The place that would see the most repairing would be a home island, and since ships can still be shot at while docked there, I do not see the need to institute that as a rule.

I find the Spanish direction to be bordering on disaster. Either they will be wiped out by the Americans in the battle for the Castle, or they will be betrayed by the French and absorbed into the French fleet...

The Jade position is precarious. They've pushed further than they ever have into Cursed territory, but the Cursed still have some major bite, and can inflict serious damage, now especially that the combat rules have been modified. The five segment sea monsters in the north will be enough to turn the tide most likely, especially if you find a way to give each of them extra actions to move and shoot possibly more than once....

The Pirates will probably fight whoever is left after the Cursed-JR war is over, since they share the same sea. I'm curious as to who could hope to challenge them, since they've got the whirlpools locked down, and ships give up actions to go through them, leaving them sitting ducks on the other end. Unless the Pirates go to a faction (like the did earlier), or another way to traverse between oceans is revealed, the Pirate will have a serious advantage.

The French have a good advantage over the Americans right now, but I do not think they will be able to hold it, what with the combat changes, and the quality and quantity of reserve American gunships finally pulling their weight. Despite this, I think they're heading for a titanic showdown, one that will engulf a majority of Karkuda....

The English are a mystery to me as well. They have decent fighting prowess, but they now lack significant amounts of valuable resources to make significant launches. Their single-minded hatred of the pirates is an interesting driving force, but the pirates have covered every whirlpool in the sea of Allost..... Except the Cursed one. Hmmmmm. If the English could find that, they'd have a way to get into Allost and not be immediately squashed by the Pirates. However, they'd have to contend with the Cursed and the Jades, both of whom would likely not take a liking to the English arrival.

The Cursed have done well, and I think they're about to do better. The combat changes are definitely in their favor imo, and I expect them to win the war against the Jades. Once that's concluded, they may try and go after the French agains, but the Pirates would probably be an easier target, since they share the ocean, and the Cursed have several 'WMD' on their side that could be used to thin out pirate ranks on the front lines.

The Mercs have a chance of winning, or contending if they just stay submerged and ignore the French for the rest of the game. XD In all likelihood, I see them either falling to the French or re-allying with them. Though perhaps Nemo would seek out the Americans or Spanish as allies, or do something completely out of left field.

Finally the Americans, I think they now have a good chance of prevailing in the war of Karkuda. They far outstrip the Spanish in terms of ships and resources available, and they have enough to seriously contend with the French. The battles around the Castle and at the Spot will be decisive now I think, and the Americans should come out one top in one of those two engagements. However that will not win the war long term (even though its only about 20 days left). I'm curious to see what their 'experimental' launch will be. The Zhanfu, or some other RSS pieces? A custom from somewhere? My curiosity is piqued. Very Happy
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:23 am Reply with quote

Turn 77

I played the first turn using the standard combat rules. The "endgame" process is officially in motion....

Pirate infantry move around the top of the Tunnel! 3 units make their way west, and two units go east.

The Celtic Fury's explore action got some big 2L ladders to the summit. These were then thrown over the edge of the Tunnel by the troops working on the eastern area.

To the Hades' Flame waiting below!

The HF was already in position from last turn, and troops clambered up the ladder to join their comrades!

Greetings are exchanged as yet more infantrymen become familiar with the Tunnel's top.

The Hades' Flame was also carrying something a bit heavier!

A cannon is hoisted to the top!

One of my favorite pictures so far of the Tunnel logistics:

Overall the Pirates have done quite well with their mission. They have explored the Tunnel at both ends, finally found a suitable spot where they can tunnel to the top, and now have both boots and artillery atop the summit. Quite the impressive show!

Captain Mission's Pirate Kingdom, more well-defended than ever.

With all Pirate wild islands now out of resources, various Pirate cargo ships receive captains for the final stage of the game, which promises to be the bloodiest conclusion in CG history. The Pirates were already using some very good hybrids as resource ships (Eagle, Grand Barnacle, Darkhawk II, Foresight, etc), so making the change to full-time warship will go smoothly. Some of them even had captains already!

The northern whirlpool of Allost is swarming with Pirate gunships.

A triple line of gunships guards the reef barrier. Calypso now has about a dozen "bodyguards". XD

Ready for anything, the Pirates will continue to optimize their defenses and wait for the best faction to come to them.

Many ships repair at Dead Man's Point, as the newly launched ships join the newly repaired ships.

Still blocking both whirlpools, the Pirates are in a very good position.

The kingdom from above:

A few shots out of the east:

And now we move to the JR-Cursed War, where the normal combat rules are seeing their first action of the game.

Already a ton of progress is being made at the battlefield. The Monkey's Paw is nowhere to be found, sunk by the Sahara and Virtuous Wind.

The Grand Path is going home for repairs, while the Poor Adams and Sea Hag lose masts.

The Grand Temple is finally able to emerge from the fog and return home! The fog bank she was in lifts, and more of the Tunnel is revealed to the Jade Rebels! The Naegling, Sea Wind, and Noble Swan are eager to explore what has been plaguing them for so long after rolling poorly in the fog banks.

The Nubian Prince gets into action with a bang! The Sickle loses two masts and her captain to Aruj Barbarossa. The Crescent Moon is one of two JR "medical barges" (the other being the Marrakesh), and prepares to give a shipwright to the Griffin.

The Splendor knocks a mast off the Demon Gate, but the galleys closest to the Roost cannot find their mark.

The Rook's Folly sinks and a few squids lose segments, but the Sea Monkey escapes being derelict.

At this point I will try to do "graveyards" at the end of each round or even at the end of some notable faction turns. With regular combat rules in place, the game will now resemble my 2015 Economy Edition game with these massive graveyards. Here are the Cursed game pieces eliminated by the Jade Rebellion this turn, though they also lost the Tiger's Eye to fire.

The Cursed show their dominance near Broken Horn Island. The Needle rolls badly for her fire mast and is doomed.

Terrox and Brachyura have not been in action here in this war, and now they strike hard on the same turn!!

The Sahara is suspended in the air, lifted out of the water by the strong tentacles:

Success and failure for the Cursed:

The Cursed will have a tough time with the Nubian Prince, but they (re) dismast the Donar and take out the Splendor.

The Terror of Gibraltar and Jackal's Teeth were predictably sunk, and for now the Cursed have saved the Roost from direct invasion.

The creatures finished off the Grand Mountain (a true combat veteran of this game) and the Sultan's Sword. Cursed cargo ships are being forced into the line of duty without captains, as the Cyclone and Sea Rat simply block the galleys' advance to prevent them from sinking the Guichuan (suddenly vulnerable at the Roost with the change in combat rules) on the Jade turn.

Calim rises to the surface in a rage to pin the Sea Dragon:

Wow! The Cursed sink 6 JR ships, as compared to 3 Cursed ships on the JR turn. (that is just the Mermaid to the left, as I put the stuff in the southeastern corner of Allost during the play turn)

An ominous sight: Shal-Bala finishes repairing, and may return to the battle soon! At the left, notice that the Cursed troops scurried back up the ladder just before the Bloody Blade finished off the Jackal's Teeth.

The Sea of Allost, 77 turns into the game:

The Pirates control the eastern half, and may control the entirety of this ocean if the Cursed and Jades continue to beat the cargo out of each other.

Flash:

No flash:

Already the battlefield looks more empty. Makes me sad, but of course the game must end at some point.

Pure dominance, with a single-fleet point count possibly coming soon for the sake of the record books....

A relatively crowded English HI:

Spaniards heading for the whirlpool and Karkuda...

With Rogelio Vazquez, the Acorazado manages to shoot above the Marie Antoinette and take out a pesky American infantry unit!

You may have wondered by now how the Spanish will retake the Castle. I have devised a custom ruling for it. Enemy ships can "dock" at the Castle and combine their boarding rolls (for example, a 3 master with a roll of 4 would contribute 7) together. If the total score is 25 or more, the Castle is captured and changes hands. Especially this late in the game, I am not interested in automatically destroying the fort upgrade inside used for launches, so when/if the Castle changes hands, so does the ability to launch ships from it.

On this turn the 4 Spanish ships at the right amassed a total score of 21, and failed to take the Castle. The Spanish will try again, and plan to retake the Castle and use it as their new "home island"!!

The slow but steady flow of incoming Spanish ships will continue next turn. The Cristal del Obispo is the latest ship to arrive.

Chaos reigns in the Sea of Karkuda as the Mercenaries all rise to the surface at once!! The Mobilis and Devil Ray don't have captains, but the French sub hunters are attacked and lose 3 masts total. Nemo captures the captain of the Espadon.

French revenge is swift, and just like that the Mercenaries are almost out of the game. The Terror and Devil Ray are sunk, and only 5 hull segments remain in the Merc fleet.

At long last we get to see the French machine in action, with various gunships all over their home waters ready to assist combat operations at a moment's notice. It reminds me of how fast and efficiently the Pirates took care of the English not too long ago.

At Pearl Island, the French 2 masters have teamed up to finally capture the Sunrise Fire:

The beauty of French power in this game: even with the Merc uprising (pun intended XD), they are able to maintain their close blockade of the Cursed whirlpool and calmly continue to sail gunships out west towards the real deal of warfare in this game.

As the action develops! The Montreal and Toulouse finally need replacing, and the Epee and Flamberge are happy to oblige. Their American counterparts will also need replacing. In yet another example of equipment backfiring on me, the Auguste rolls a 1 with fire shot.

The French press their advantage!!

You may have noticed some new space opening up: the Saratoga and Hudson were sank (both were already mastless hulks), while the Blackwatch was also sunk!

No less than 10 ships are in various stages of the repair process at The Flat:

About half of those are ready to return to action, while the crippled Soleil Royal will provide additional work for the island's numerous troops.

The American line has gradually been thinned out, and now the Americans are being pushed back.

The Philadelphia will not be able to warp the Hudson home after all, and the French may finally be able to move into American waters soon.

The Paladin and Lenox lose masts, but the French crews aboard Le Gaule and L'Auguste are utterly spent and will need to be replaced soon.

From near the masts of the Gruesome, the Bonaparte and Descharges continue making their way around the big island.

Here you can see the supply line of fresh French gunships arriving near the battle.

Considerable firepower has yet to shoot, as the Tepant, Grand Vainqueur, Aube, and Saber attempt to find American targets.

The French position looks very strong, as the tide of battle begins to sway in their favor:

The French sunk 4 American ships this turn, including the mighty Blackwatch:

The Speedy Return replaces the Atlanta, and the Flamberge is set aflame by the Mohican:

A unique view of this area from the north:

The Marie Antoinette is doomed to burn. She rolled for a terrible fog exit location, placing her right between the American-Spanish crossfire. In fact, this area has now become "the spot" in the American-Spanish part of the battle ever since the Spanish established their foothold in the NE corner of the Castle.

6 ships are heading to the Castle for crew, while the Overton can finally repair somewhere.

The Cheyenne tows the Minuteman flotilla under the Castle rampart - a nice shortcut for ships that can fit!

Of course, the Carolina has done this before:

The Americans fight back quite well! There's so much carnage and debris that it's hard to tell what's going on, but at the left the Providence has dismasted the Moulin Rouge and Intrepide. The Ville de Paris has been dismasted and set aflame.

At the right, the Cleopatre is not even visible under the wreckage of her own masts:

The arrivals of the Constitution (with Ralph David aboard) and Ghost Walker mean that the French will not be able to advance unchecked into American waters.

Similar to the 2v2 situation near Fish Island, attrition finally favors the Americans! Le Gaule is sunk and the Auguste nearly dismasted, with a solid morale victory for the Americans. The Gaule has been a powerful force in this battle since the start. Her loss combined with that of the Ville de Paris (likely but not guaranteed due to chain towing rescue attempts and even a good fire roll XD) and captured Charlemagne means that the French fleet of capital ship 5 masters is not completely intact.

Here I count about a dozen "gunships" headed towards the battle areas, some more well-equipped than others.

The ones at the left are certainly ready to fight, among them the newly launched Thomas Jefferson and Eagan. The Charlemagne has actually repaired all of her masts, I just didn't want to deconstruct almost the entire battle area by "the spot" just to find the masts. I'm probably just going to leave as many masts in the water as possible for the rest of the game for maximum carnage. XD

A dozen gunships here, a dozen gunships there - 'tis a HUGE GAME!! XD

Last report I hinted that the Americans were thinking about an "experimental purchase"... I now ask you to consider what that nice open space could be used for... now devoid of fog and without a lot of ships right there....

Hmmm what could it be......... ?

A CASTLE EXTENSION!!!!!

O_O

Spending 100 of their 188 current gold, the Americans have built a new structure that adds onto the Castle development! Real estate in Pirate CSG! XD Razz

This didn't come about by some fluke. When exploring the Castle further in somewhat recent turns, the Americans found various maps and plans detailing possible ways to expand the Castle. They were intrigued by the possibility, and with the latest resource change, they finally have the resources to pull it off. The Spanish were aware of these old plans, which is part of the reason they wanted to retake the Castle: before the Americans could do this! The reefs provide a solid base for structural support underneath the new castle area, which has been built right near the battlefield!

The "new" Sea of Karkuda - bet you didn't see that coming! XD The French now have another giant obstacle (literally) in their path to reaching the American home island. It also serves to shrink the battle area back down even as the lifting fog and new combat rules were beginning to open up more space in the area.

The Turn 77 graveyard. 16 ships were sunk, obviously a high for this game by far and not a huge surprise given the two massive battles going on under the normal combat rules. The Jades and Americans suffered most heavily, but the wars are FAR from over....

More excitement and surprises to come, so stay tuned!
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:49 am Reply with quote

Wow, the combat changes have been felt immediatly. I'm a little sad to see the Blackwatch go, she's my favorite American ship, and one of my favorites overall.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I did NOT see that coming at all.

I figured the Americans might launch some questionable Custom pieces (I should know better by now Very Happy) but I didn't think it would be possible to expand the Castle, I think I like it even more now! With the addition, the Americans have the option of making a 'super fort' and loading it up with artillery and infantry units. Or optionally it could be a staging point for launches on their next immediate turns. Whatever becomes of it, it gives the Americans presence, and creates another obstacle for the French to overcome.

Hmmm. The Cursed and Jades may be more evenly matched than I thought. I figured the Cursed would shred the Jades without taking a loss, but I see that's not going to happen! I'm surprised at the Jades tenacity in this fight, they managed to sink some good ships. However I still think this war now favors the Cursed long term, unless the Jades have some 'aces up their sleeve' that they've not launched, though I think most of what they have has been launched and in some cases re-launched.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Spanish are going to be eliminated by the Americans. They've almost taken the castle, but with the terrain opening up and the Americans expanding the Castle structure, the combat will favor the Americans who will be able to press their attack with an extreme numbers advantage. In this one instance I feel that the Spanish are out gunned.

I think the Pirates are going to try and build a fort on top of the tunnel. How would anyone shoot at it? Very Happy

I'm curious now as to what the English will do, with the Spanish exodus, and islands drying up. Their funds are limited (as compared to the other factions) but they have some of the best gunships in the entire game. The likes of the HMS Grand Temple have yet to see action, but could see it very soon methinks.

Overall, this is sure to be a thrilling conclusion to Command the Oceans, keep it coming!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote

Laughing I think you've set a new record for shocked emojis in one post! XD

xerecs wrote:
Hmmm. The Cursed and Jades may be more evenly matched than I thought. I figured the Cursed would shred the Jades without taking a loss, but I see that's not going to happen! I'm surprised at the Jades tenacity in this fight, they managed to sink some good ships. However I still think this war now favors the Cursed long term, unless the Jades have some 'aces up their sleeve' that they've not launched, though I think most of what they have has been launched and in some cases re-launched.

Your factional preferences seem to blind you; the Jades actually had a small advantage in fleet size at the last point count. I still haven't actually relaunched anything, and at this late stage of the game I certainly won't be regardless of what happens. The Grand Dynasty is just a proxy for the Grand River.

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Spanish are going to be eliminated by the Americans. They've almost taken the castle, but with the terrain opening up and the Americans expanding the Castle structure, the combat will favor the Americans who will be able to press their attack with an extreme numbers advantage. In this one instance I feel that the Spanish are out gunned.

I don't disagree, but the Franco-Spanish are fighting well together right now and more French ships arrive at the battle area every turn. The Spanish may be able to survive if the French take the brunt of firepower in the coming turns (as the Marie Antoinette accidentally did recently lol).

Quote:
I'm curious now as to what the English will do, with the Spanish exodus, and islands drying up. Their funds are limited (as compared to the other factions) but they have some of the best gunships in the entire game. The likes of the HMS Grand Temple have yet to see action, but could see it very soon methinks.

The original GT is still in play, so I might pass her up for the likes of the Endeavour and Titan, etc. The English do have some gold with which to launch some ships, so their battle fleet will likely have a solid effect on the final results even if they don't manage to win.

Quote:
Overall, this is sure to be a thrilling conclusion to Command the Oceans, keep it coming!

Yes indeed, many more developments and a few surprises are still in store! Very Happy
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:48 am Reply with quote

New rule: No repairs can be carried out.

As Turn 78 begins, the Pirates continue to explore the top of the Tunnel.

The Celtic Fury was given an explore action, and a 2L ladder and some supplies have been brought to the top.

Where could those troops be going?

These ones are certainly ready for action!

The cannon has been positioned to fire a wide arc over Pirate waters in case any invaders show up. (this is one of my favorite things about the Tunnel - this hole was already there as part of the foam piece)

The Pirates spend all of their 244 gold on 15 new gunships! To cut costs and put as many ship in play as possible, they aren't crewed as heavily as the previous handful of launches.

As I said earlier, I wanted to do a point count of the Pirate fleet in particular since I know it's the biggest fleet ever seen in a game. For the sake of the record books, a full ship and point count was done.

Here are the Pirate deckplate areas:

Behold: Captain Mission's Pirate Kingdom at its true height!!

The 2L ladder is now just a convenient access point for the Pirates to use, instead of transferring everything through the Celtic Fury.

The new records, set by the Pirate fleet of Command the Oceans:

131 ships (breaking the Spanish record of 111 ships set in VASSAL Campaign Game 1)
2,347 points (breaking their own record from earlier in this game)

O_O

Picture #5000 taken with this camera.

xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:43 am Reply with quote

The no repairing rule is definitely going to have a major effect on the various wars in the oceans. Most probably in Karkuda, where three factions are battling it out.

Wow, that's a HUGE fleet! Are any of the other factions that close to them?

i see the fort pieces on the Tunnel, brought up by the pirates, but I'm not positive now that they're going to build a fort up there. Maybe some kind of outpost? I'm sure we'll find out soon enough!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
The no repairing rule is definitely going to have a major effect on the various wars in the oceans. Most probably in Karkuda, where three factions are battling it out.

I didn't want to do it, but the game absolutely must end by around 12/20 and I never seem to play as much as I want or expect to each day.

Quote:
Wow, that's a HUGE fleet! Are any of the other factions that close to them?

Not quite... the French had just over 1,800 points in play at the final point count (November 11th), but even if they've added some points since then I don't think they're much over 2,000. Even if they are, the Americans will be whittling down their total with every turn. None of the factions have enough gold/resources left to catch them either, so the Pirates are easily in the best position to win the game right now.

Quote:
i see the fort pieces on the Tunnel, brought up by the pirates, but I'm not positive now that they're going to build a fort up there. Maybe some kind of outpost? I'm sure we'll find out soon enough!

Thank you for the comments about the Tunnel... I think it's the most underrated/least appreciated of my custom pieces for this game (although the others have certainly taken center stage at various times), and soon everyone will see why I say that. Twisted Evil
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: JR and Cursed turns   PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:42 am Reply with quote

This is a picture-centric report, as I try to take more closeups and my time playing this epic game slowly comes to a close. Again, enjoy it while it lasts haha.

Jade Rebellion vs. the Cursed:

The Nubian Prince manages to eliminate two masts from the Loki's Revenge and capture the ship's captain!

Devastation. Desperation.

THE BAOCHUAN!!

At long last, the flagship of the Jade Rebellion is here! The Jades spent all of their 108 gold on what will likely be their final three ships launched.

Almost forced to call upon Mercenary help at this point, the Forward and Revolution give them a rare chance to field regular square-rigged ships.

Ships in various states of disrepair sail out, unable to repair due to the shortage of resources, lumber, and manpower in the area.

The Baochuan has a maxed out complement of crew, while the Forward carries the first canceller the Jades have possessed in this game.

The Cursed use Tsuro to move the Black Pearl onto a reef! This is the first direct Cursed vs. Pirate conflict in this game! Perhaps a sign of things to come?

Cleanup efforts. The Cursed reiterate how dominant they've become in the far west around Broken Horn Island, sinking various BC and Jade ships.

A theme we'll get used to on this turn, with damaged ships sailing out to do battle.

With the change in combat rules, the ocean is becoming less crowded and lively, with a "no man's land" starting to develop in an area that was hotly contested not long ago.

From the last few pictures you may have noticed additional ships in play...

Yes indeed...

THE DELUSION!!

The Skin Flayer gives the Cursed a very devastating new weapon, while the Crocodile is their other last 4+ masted ship to launch.

The Guinee cancelled the Nubian Prince's ability, and she was sunk by a trio of Cursed ships.

THE SPAWN OF SHAL-BALA!!!!!!!! ANGELICA IS HERE!!!!!!!!

After regenerating for two turns, Shal-Bala has returned to full health! The creature has mated and now has an offspring! XD Angelica will be Cursed for this game, giving them TWO sea dragons at the Roost!!!

The full Cursed launch, where they spent all of their 297 gold at once.

Did you think that was it?? Not quite!! Unable to carry out further repairs, El Fantasma gave the Divine Dragon his SAT and steered the ship towards the whirlpool created by Calypso. Using the Eye to find his way, Fantasma ended up in the Caribbean!! Words have already been exchanged, and the Cursed are recruiting the English to help fight the Pirates!!!! O_O With Davy Jones still able to copy Calypso (he did this turn but both rolls were 2's; DJ has temporarily been transferred to the Fiddler's Green for her reroll), you can immediately get some ideas about what could happen....

The graveyard for these two factions warring against each other on Turn 78. Many ships were sunk, mostly on the JR side.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:14 am Reply with quote

WOW. talk about firepower! The jade launch is impressive, but was soon outdone by the Cursed! I see Deveraux has descended from his nest atop the roost to command the Delusion himself, exciting!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shal-Bala mated!!!? With WHO?!! THERE ARENT ANY OTHER SEA DRAGONS!!!! Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Anywho, super fun to see TWO dragons in play for the Cursed. If you had the spares, you could probably use Morgrul (from RoDJ) to give them tree! Unless they've run out of spendable gold that is.....

Looking back at some of the pictures from the pirate turn, I see a three mast ship with some artillery on board heading for the tunnel.....

I'm surprised the Cursed are initiating conflict with the Pirates before finishing off the Jades, but I suppose they think they have them handled and are moving on to their next target/victim, the pirates. I'm glad they've secured the help of the English, they'll be a MASSIVE help agaisnt the Pirates, and now that they're allies, the English can use the Cursed whirlpool to get to Allost without being slaughtered right away by the Pirates! Very exciting, keep it coming for the grand finale!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
WOW. talk about firepower! The jade launch is impressive, but was soon outdone by the Cursed! I see Deveraux has descended from his nest atop the roost to command the Delusion himself, exciting!

Yes, the original Cursed Admiral is now aboard a ship once more (finally). However, I forgot to mention that he has received a free "upgrade" similar to Bartholomew Roberts earlier in the game. Instead of the DJC Devereaux, he now has far better abilities.

CTO Devereaux
Cursed crew
12 points
Once at the beginning of each of your turns, roll a d6. On a result of 6, any ship in your fleet may be given two actions that turn. Once per turn give any ship in your fleet +1 to all of her cannon rolls.

Quote:
Shal-Bala mated!!!? With WHO?!!

Haha can't really explain that one, but let's just pretend a Raptor Maw from someone else's collection flew to the nest at the Roost not too long ago. XD

Quote:
Anywho, super fun to see TWO dragons in play for the Cursed. If you had the spares, you could probably use Morgrul (from RoDJ) to give them tree! Unless they've run out of spendable gold that is.....

Issues with both - I don't have any other sea dragon parts or duplicates, and the Cursed are out of gold for now. They have a tiny bit coming in for a few turns from Broken Horn Island, but no more dragons can enter the game.

Quote:
Looking back at some of the pictures from the pirate turn, I see a three mast ship with some artillery on board heading for the tunnel.....

Yup, the Amity and Swift are carrying army units to the Tunnel. The Pirates are trying to fortify it substantially since they have almost guaranteed that any attack will come from the west and therefore almost have to pass through the Tunnel.

Quote:
I'm surprised the Cursed are initiating conflict with the Pirates before finishing off the Jades, but I suppose they think they have them handled and are moving on to their next target/victim, the pirates.

The Cursed haven't fired upon the Pirates yet, but they are partially doing it in an attempt to get the Jades to notice the Pirates again. The Cursed know the extent of the Pirate fleet with the Eye, so the Cursed are trying to get the Jades to commit some firepower to the east, both to help them fight the Pirates, and to slow the JR onslaught against the Cursed.

Quote:
I'm glad they've secured the help of the English, they'll be a MASSIVE help agaisnt the Pirates, and now that they're allies, the English can use the Cursed whirlpool to get to Allost without being slaughtered right away by the Pirates!

I wouldn't call them allies just yet... the Cursed have recruited the English to fight their old enemy the Pirates, but it's not a formal alliance by any means. The Cursed are just helping the English enter the Sea of Allost through the whirlpool Calypso created. The English are certainly excited and ready to attack the Pirates though.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:10 am Reply with quote

The report for the action of December 6th will be split into two or three parts.

The Union Jack is back in the Sea of Allost! The English are here!

After El Fantasma told them the way, the English decided to commit ships to the cause of fighting the Pirate empire in the far east. Only 5 English gunships were able to fit at the other end of the whirlpool, but more will certainly arrive soon.

The English are ready to finally get full-scale revenge on the Pirates!

Almost the entire English fleet is now flocking to the Caribbean whirlpool:

The Spanish are doing the same thing, though for a different reason of course.

At the end of their turn, the English spent all of their 140 gold to get some of their best gunships! The Titan and Endeavour will have access to cancellers and multiple actions. Ducie Chads gives the Endeavour 1L guns against the Pirates, which of course will eliminate two masts with one hit! HMS Apollo has Pirate-hating built-in, and Christopher Myngs could give that ship up to 10 shots in a turn. The Leicester is crewed to her maximum point total and cargo restrictions, ready to dole out some serious damage.

xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:26 am Reply with quote

Whoo! Go English, get those Pirates! XD I'm anticipating a GIGANTIC battle in Allost soon, perhaps even to rival that of the action in Karkuda.... Shocked Looking forward to it immensely, keep em coming!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Pictures galore   PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:38 am Reply with quote

The Mercenaries have been eliminated! After sinking the Espadon, the Mercs were finished off by the French. Lucky that Nemo was even able to escape and dupe the French, the Mercenaries entered the game too late to realistically have a shot at winning. However, they made some waves by accident. XD Introducing a new custom submarine hideout that I hope to further develop after the game ends, they managed to trick the French into thinking they were still working for them. Of course, Nemo himself was duped in the end, with Eileen Brigid O'Brien taking his prized 10 master (the Celtic Fury) to the Pirates for more money and chances at glory. Shortly after this disaster the Mercs were unable to keep up the farce, and the French attacked them. The Mercs began to run out of food sourced from the nearby island pictured here, and needed to make a desperate attempt to literally stay alive. Naturally it failed against the mighty and flexible power of the French Navy, but the Mercenaries still had some impact on the game.

The Mohican is dismasted, and La Gaule emerges from the fog to go 4/5 and set the Enterprise alight!

New rule: Scuttling can occur on the same turn it is declared, and does not require a roll to be successful. Scuttling can occur even if a ship has an oarsman aboard and would not normally be considered derelict.

This is to clean up the battlefield faster, expedite things as I need to, and get useless ships out of the way so factions can fill in their holes with new ships. Since the derelicts can't repair, ships like the Concordia and Belle of Exeter are the only dismasted ships worth keeping around.

With the new Castle expansion, the fleets have even less room to maneuver. The battle now resembles two giant floods of ships meeting and duking it out.

The Providence is dismasted:

The Constitution damaged:

Here you can start to see the problem the Americans are having. The French flood of ships is massive and has many layers. Once the Dauphin is sunk, she will be replaced by the Delacroix, Hercule, etc. As has been the case lately, the American line of defense only rests on a few ships, and once they sink, the French advance will inch closer to the American HI before another ship is put in their path.

The Paladin is sunk by the French, but this is one area where the Americans have gained the advantage now that Le Gaule is gone.

Big French gunships are literally just waiting their turn to fire broadsides into American vessels. It has been a little frustrating how crowded this area is with islands and castle structures, since there can only be so many ships involved at one time. The intense bottlenecks have moved slightly away from "the spot" and closer to the American HI.

Just hull-to-hull ships:

The giant Castle complex would be a boon for the Americans, but they do not have the naval or land power to properly support it. Most of the infantry and artillery units have been eliminated by the seemingly endless supply of fresh French firepower that is now complementing the Spanish as well.

You may have noticed the final French launch.

Nine new "gunships", though only 2 of them could even be classified as that here. (Breton and Danae) This is just about all the French can muster, as they have nearly "completed the fleet" as I call it. This means that they have every French ship from my collection in play! (other than sunken ships and one special ship) O_O

With my collection being quite large as this point, I didn't think that this would happen in a physical campaign game. However, the French fleet is incredibly impressive in this game and they have pulled off the near-impossible! Smile

(The Flat has run out of textiles, that is my mistake)

What's impressive to me about this battle is that I almost cannot depict the entire scale of it in one picture. Between how far it stretches and the various islands and structures in the way, it's tough to even show the full battle at once.

Suddenly the French round the western edge of the big wild island in the northwest corner, with Le Bonaparte sinking the Wasp!

Finally! The Enterprise is fully in action! She had a remarkable entrance to the battle, getting her EA, extinguishing her fire mast, and then going 6/6 to sink La Gaule!!

The Americans do some damage in the main battle area, especially with firepots.

The Toussaint and Auguste are sunk, leaving the Americans in solid control at this bottleneck. However, some French gunships that cannot repair are heading to plug the area back up.

The captured Charlemagne (with all masts standing, as I cannot feasibly get her masts out from underneath the carnage near The Flat) is ready to fight her old allies, setting fire to the Bonaparte!

USS Vermont is one of the little-known ships in this game, and not particularly noteworthy. However, on this turn her firepot specialist and fire shot both connected, turning the Scipion from a relatively healthy ship to a blazing inferno.

The Ghost Walker has set the Courageux aflame, and the French will scuttle her quickly next turn. Clearly the battle is being fought at extremely close quarters.

After Lenoir cancelled the captain of the Grampus, the Xiamen's Claws set the Dauphin Royal on fire. The Providence has been scuttled, and the Gruesome sank the SCS version of the Coeur de Lion.

Looking between the two castle walls at an unprecedented sight. Ships sail over a dense layer of masts, sails, and debris. The smoke of the guns mixes with the fires that now burn aboard French ships. Hell has been found.

It is clear that whoever manages to survive this mess will be in bad shape.

The French do still have plenty of healthy ships that can eventually enter the battle, while the Americans are struggling to back up their front lines with comparable forces.

However, some American gunships are sailing out from the home island. At the right is an impressive trio that will boost American morale on the battlefield: Preble himself has gotten the President fully repaired, while the Kettering still has EA and cancelling available. The Thomas Jefferson has cancelling as well, with a superb armament to boot. At the left, the Jarvis and Full Moon head north to support the Charlemagne and make sure the French ships coming around the island cannot reach the American HI.

Various ships flock to the battle areas:

The Americans do a final launch with 163 gold. Similar to the French, they are almost out of ships to use! Here you can see the desperation, with even the Dark Fox and Annapolis serving in the line of duty.

Some of the ships were launched at the Castle:

The others at the home island, which was fortified with additional army units.

A turn after expanding the Castle, the Americans have now built a bridge to connect the two areas!!!!

O_O

The Americans spent 10 gold on the wooden bridge, as it shares the same characteristics as the docks of the French Harbor.

The Castle has become a monstrosity and has arguably eclipsed the Harbor as the most noticeable feature in the Sea of Karkuda:

American infantry have another great place from which to fire their muskets, and now the Americans can move things resources and troops from one side of the Castle to the other. (not that they have many of either)

What a scene!

When the game started 3 months ago, it was utterly unthinkable that such a situation could develop. The Castle was undiscovered, having sat uninhabited for many years after the Spanish were forced to abandon it. Now two powerful factions are fighting one of the biggest battles ever!

Someday I would love to play a game where armies battle across castle ramparts....

The Castle extension with bridge will hamper the French advance:

It was tough to get clear shots at some of these difficult angles.

Now for some neat views of Karkuda. I took a LOT of extra pictures at the end of this turn, some of which may be revealed after the game ends.

USS Appalachian:

The full breadth of the engagement, from the Bonaparte in the northwest corner to the Epee in the far south.

There are still French ships leaving the Harbor:

With no way to repair, the crippled Spanish ships simply join the French and head back to the Castle:

Wow... one of my favorite pictures so far. I didn't even see this one when I did it since I was taking pictures so rapidly, but I love how the color came out. Not just the ships, but the water too. This would be fun to show someone who hasn't read about this game, since it would lead to so many questions. XD I like how the lighthouse and hideout are just visible enough to be curious about them, while the true size of the Castle is somewhat hidden by the low angle of the shot.

One of my favorite pictures of The Flat, also showing the new Castle bridge and Rossinaz's nice island in the distance.

The chaotic battle now just resembles a forest of masts, with raging smoke present at intervals.

Truly a war for the ages:

Some rare views out of the north:

The Castle obscures most of the main battle:

Tons of ships went to the depths today. The rule changes have sped the game up to a pace where I may actually be able to end it properly, with the last fleet afloat being declared the winner.

Turn 79 begins

The Pirates continue moving troops and supplies around the Tunnel!

... where could those infantry be going?

The Madagascar and Otter (members of the former whirlpool squadron) carry additional army units to the Tunnel, and artillery cannons are being hoisted to the top!

The Pirates are beginning to fortify not just the top of the Tunnel, but inside it as well....

Unfortunately for the Pirates, the Black Pearl lost two more masts coming back over the reef. They may even transfer Tia Dalma to a new ship since the BP can't repair.

The Pirates are more than ready to defend their home waters. XD

I forgot to show this off last time.

The troops have a nice view looking southeast towards the gold island.

You can just make out the ladder leading down to the Madagascar:

A long-term plan comes to fruition! The Pirates have thought about building a fort at the edge of the kingdom island itself, and now the Devil's Maw is constructed.

The fort serves as an ideal place to station a garrison:

If you've seen the kingdom at all in this game, you could easily surmise that the ledge would be a perfect fort location.

The Eagle and others sail out and prepare for battle. Fort in the foreground, lighthouse in the background:

The Jade Rebellion sails out to do battle with a faction other than the Cursed!

Incredibly, the Cursed-JR War may be nearly at an end. After 4 full-scale battles and numerous other skirmishes, the Cursed now have a larger fleet than the Jades. The lack of good Corsair gunships, devastating strikes by Namazu, and the regular combat rules leading to a lot of sinkings has combined to doom the Jade fleet for the long term. They have been whittled down for a while, and have seen a LOT of ships sunk in the past couple turns. It is sad to see their once-great fleet reduced to a far more normal level.

The Sea Duck engages the Banshee's Wail:

The Cursed sea monsters in the north have been eliminated or badly injured. In a perfect example of this attritional struggle, just as the final Cursed defences are falling in the north, the Jades have finally run out of fresh ships to send into the area.

The greatest concentration of firepower the Jades can muster. A shell of their former selves, the Jade Rebels have finally understood why the Cursed have been trying to emphasize the Pirates for so long. If the Jades continue to fight the Cursed, they will grind themselves into oblivion. By trying to take out the best faction in play, the Jades will at least give themselves a chance in case some of their ships can survive. Jade ships are now heading for the Tunnel.

Cursed on the move! New and old Cursed ships sail forward, heading east almost universally.

Terrox surrounds the Sea Duck!

Fantasma got his SAT to come back through the whirlpool and start heading for the Pirates. The Dark Pact picks up the last gold coins from Broken Horn Island, which are the final source of money to be loaded in the game.

A handful of Corsair ships were sunk this turn, with the Cursed firing upon anything in their path.

Sailing over the wreckage of the biggest battle of the JR-Cursed War, healthy ships and derelicts alike move east.

I feel the need to explicitly state that no alliances have been made to fight the Pirates. The Cursed and the Jades are still at war. The English are not allied with either. It is simply the three of them realizing that the Pirates need to be hampered to prevent them from running away with the game.

Despite the rushed ending, I hope you've been enjoying the action lately! Feel free to give your thoughts on any of it, or a few questions:

-Have your winner/ranking preferences changed at all?
-Do you think the Pirates can be defeated?
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:11 am Reply with quote

I do not think the Pirates can be defeated, at least not by the Jades, Cursed and English alone. I think those three factions will grind themselves out on the Pirates and do a good lot of damage on their way out, but the Pirates have the numbers to outlast all three of them. If the Americans/French got involved at the same time as this unofficial coalition, then things might be different. As-is, here's what I see panning out:

The Americans and French will beat each other senseless in the War of Karkuda, with the Spanish assisting the French and possibly being eliminated in the process of the war.

The English, Cursed and Jades will put a significant dent in Pirate numbers, but none of those factions have the strength to completely dominate the Pirates. I expect the Pirates will be able to use their superior numbers advantage to eliminate all three factions and take complete control of the Sea of Allost.

When the War in Karkuda ends, whatever is left of the victors will be forced to traverse the Whirlpools and sail right into the Pirates waiting clutches and be eliminated, or the Pirates will break their isolationist policy and conquer Karkuda after the nations there exhaust themselves on each other.

The only nation that has the potential strength to fight the pirates one on one right now seems to be the French. They have one of the biggest (if not the biggest) fleet in the entire game, and have plenty of healthy gunships at their disposal to throw at the pirates. However, I do not see the French breaking off their war with the Americans to focus on the pirates.

I really like the bridge on the Castle, since it will provide a land route for crew/infantry/ resources and other logistics, and it's low clearance will force the larger French ships to go around another way, thus enabling some of the smaller American ships to guard that waterway while the bigger capital ships concentrate on other areas of the battle.

At this point, I don't really care who wins, it's been a fun and wild ride, and I'm sad to see it end. The action in the last few reports has been stellar though, with ships sinking left right and center. Keep it coming!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: