main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

wholesale from china through DHgate

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Ranking: Top 10 Gold Runners

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Ranking: Top 10 Gold Runners   PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote

Here is my current list of the Top 10 gold runners in the game. Feel free to post your list. Ranking gold runners is usually easier than ranking gunships because they're a lot less complex. However, this list became very difficult, similar to the gunship list. In particular, I found it very hard to determine what sort of "theme" to have for my list - I found it hard not to rank similarly-sized ships one after another. As a result, all of the larger ships are in a row, so if they moved down on the list they'd probably move down as a group.

1. Banshee's Cry

2. Bloody Jewel

With a helmsman and explorer: 9 points, S+L+S speed, 3 open cargo spaces.

3. Le Bon Marin

With a helmsman: 8 points, S+L+S speed, 3 open cargo spaces. In my book, I'd definitely pay the extra point for the extra mast of durability, hence why the Bloody Jewel is ranked second.

4. La Santa Isabel

This ship is stacked. She's not a dirt-cheap option, but she shouldn't be. If anything, she's still a bargain. That +2 gold ability is still a bit underrated.

5. Darkhawk II

I generally favor large treasure runners when I can afford them because they give you much more durability for a very reasonable price.

6. La Joya del Sol

This ship also has a huge cargo hold and fantastic durability. For 15 points (with a helmsman and explorer) you'll still have 6 cargo spaces available with S+S+S speed!

7. La Monarca

A quintessential gold runner.

8. Libellule

A very unique ship, the Libellule only has the durability of a 2 master, but she easily makes up for it with her extremely low cost, massive cargo hold, and fast base move. With a helmsman and explorer she'd be moving S+L+S with 4 open cargo spaces for 12 points, arguably better than some of the ships ranked above her.

9. American Native Canoes

This may be a controversial pick, but I cannot exclude their value from this list. These are easily the best native canoes because of their speed and cargo hold, and that ability can really speed up a gold system, especially with good support whether it's Chain of Fools or simply more canoes.

10. Star of Siam

The last spot goes to another classic Pirate gold runner. This ship edges out some others that don't give quite as much value. The Star of Siam with an explorer gives you S+S+S speed with 3 open cargo spaces for 9 points.

Very close to being in the Top 10, in no particular order:
Dragon
Bonnie Liz
Raven
Neptune's Hoard
Hai Peng (this ship just about vaults into the top 5 when crewed with Captain Jack Sparrow and enough support in the rest of the fleet)
L'Intrepide
Tiger's Eye
Frontier

Other honorable mentions (and obviously there could be more):
Longshanks
Le Triton
Aberdeen Baron
HMS Lady Provost
Virtuous Wind
Tiger's Breath
San Cristobal
Le Pique
L'Artesien
HMS Hound
El Alquimista/San Pedro
Spanish Native Canoes
Morning Star
Grinder
USS Annapolis
Algiers
Griffin
Queen of Sheba

Last edited by a7xfanben on Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Ranking: Top 10 Gold Runners   PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote

While I can't argue against the presence of any ship on this list, I find your math a bit questionable. Razz

Specifically:
a7xfanben wrote:
2. Bloody Jewel

With a helmsman and explorer: 9 points, S+L+S speed, 3 open cargo spaces.

3. Le Bon Marin

With a helmsman: 8 points, S+L+S speed, 3 open cargo spaces. In my book, I'd definitely pay the extra point for the extra mast of durability, hence why the Bloody Jewel is ranked second.

Versus:
Quote:
7. La Monarca

A quintessential gold runner.
Adding the Helmsman to either of those two only puts them on par with where La Monarca starts. It's already got the extra durability that put BJ ahead of LBM, and while those other two are technically faster when set up that way, unless it's taking you at least 3 full move actions to reach the next island La Monarca's ability makes up the difference, and that's without giving it a Helmsman of its own.

-------------

Added: I think the only thing "controversial" about having the American canoes on this list is that they aren't ranked even better. Despite the minor restrictions on their movement and the inability to carry crew, you get FIVE great little runners for slightly more than it costs to run a single "normal" runner with equivalent stats.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Ranking: Top 10 Gold Runners   PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
Adding the Helmsman to either of those two only puts them on par with where La Monarca starts. It's already got the extra durability that put BJ ahead of LBM, and while those other two are technically faster when set up that way, unless it's taking you at least 3 full move actions to reach the next island La Monarca's ability makes up the difference, and that's without giving it a Helmsman of its own.

Ahhh, you and your Spanish stuff. Rolling Eyes Smile

You make a good point, and that was one of the hardest things about this list - a ton of the best 1 and 2 masted gold runners are extremely similar, especially after adding a helmsman and/or explorer.

In my experience, that little extra speed boost from the L vs. S is actually noticeable, and I probably prefer it more than most people. Also, I almost never play "standard" games anymore (I mean fully standard - exactly 3L between islands in this example). I don't pay attention to exactly how many turns a gold runner will take to get to an island, or how much movement I'm "wasting" with extra speed. Lastly, I almost never use abilities like the Monarca's, and though it's good, it's not quite good enough for me to put the Monarca above ships with very similar stats that can move just a bit faster on every turn. I also don't think I can justify putting the Monarca second above all those other ships.

However, I will admit that I was surprised to put the Bon Marin as high as she sits, and I almost forgot about the Monarca. There's a chance they'll swap spots. Based on my original Rankings threads, the Monarca should be higher than the Spanish 4 masters, which shows how my preferences have changed a little bit in that relatively short span of time.

Do you have a list of your own?

Quote:
Added: I think the only thing "controversial" about having the American canoes on this list is that they aren't ranked even better. Despite the minor restrictions on their movement and the inability to carry crew, you get FIVE great little runners for slightly more than it costs to run a single "normal" runner with equivalent stats.

Idea Hmmm; I'm actually happy to hear that. One could argue for them being in the top 5, possibly as high as third or fourth. I don't think I'm ready to do that yet, but we'll see what happens.

I assume this means you agree with every single ranking on my Top 10 Gunships list? Razz
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:37 am Reply with quote

How did no hoist ship make it onto this list? i understand that the Cry, Jewel and Bon Marin are cheap and fast, but they are really small ships. I think that the Frontier at least should be on this list somewhere, near the bottom even, but a Hoist should definitely be on the main list somewhere.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
How did no hoist ship make it onto this list? i understand that the Cry, Jewel and Bon Marin are cheap and fast, but they are really small ships. I think that the Frontier at least should be on this list somewhere, near the bottom even, but a Hoist should definitely be on the main list somewhere.

I'd be interested to see who agrees with you. Hoists are fantastic, but too expensive for what you get here. This is a list of the absolute Top 10 gold runners in the game, and I don't think the Frontier quite makes it. She puts too many of your coins in one basket, and is very expensive for a 3 master. That being said, I've used her and bunch and she is amazing, so she might move up to the "almost" list.
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:19 am Reply with quote

No one here can argue with a lot of this list, although I will argue part of it =) I think I said the same things in your original nation gold runner threads - I can't ever consider the Darkhawk a true gold runner. I have never used her without a captain, and to me a true gold runner would never use a captain or go on the offensive. If you don't consider a "hybrid" or multipurpose role, then yeah I guess you can rank her, but it just seems weird to me.

I agree with you about Monarca though - I don't think her movement bonus is as good as L vs. S. I also agree with both of you about the Canoes, however I think a lower ranking is better when you consider the Chieftain and the spot it takes up in your fleet (not so much cargo, but the point cost for the ship it is on).

As far as Hoists, their price makes them basically impossible to use in a standard game.

If I made a list, I would remove Darkhawk and Isabel (which again I almost exclusively use with a captain). I would probably replace them with Dragon (really, same as the SoS), and the Spanish Morning Star - I too value larger treasure runners over 1 masted ones.

My list probably looks like:
1) Banshee's Cry (Just because I hate it and never use her, doesn't mean she isn't the best, heh)
2) Bloody Jewel (easily the most used treasure runner in my history)
3) La Joya Del Sol (so fun to use)
4) Le Bon Marin (just because of the 1 mastedness)
5) La Monarca
6) Libellule
7) Spanish Morning Star
Cool American Canoes
9) Star of Siam/Dragon/Queen of Sheba (really the same stats with crew)
10) L'Artesian (although I would really love to put Aberdeen here...)
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote

volt wrote:
As far as Hoists, their price makes them basically impossible to use in a standard game.

I disagree, but I digress.

Our thinking on the 4 masters is a bit different - for me they're such good hybrids that they have to be on this list. Just because a ship has good guns doesn't mean it should necessarily fight. If a hybrid is good enough to be a pure treasure runner as well (which in this case they are, especially the Santa Isabel) and rank among the best treasure runners in the game, I think it makes the list even if you'd normally put a captain on as well. My list is purely what I believe to be the Top 10 ships in the game for running/getting gold, not necessarily the best "typical" or "pure" gold runners in the game. I feel like I can't articulate what I'm trying to get across, but we just have different philosophies.

I'd also rather see the Bonnie Liz or even the Hoard at your #10. Smile
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote

The Hoard goes in the same category for me as the Darkhawk and Isabel. And I know what you are saying about those ships. To me though I just don't view Darkhawk as a gold runner, ever. Sure, I use her to grab some gold, but that is never her main role for me. But as you say, if I would rank the best ships to grab gold, she has to be included (although her speed knocks her down for me to the bottom half of the top 10)

As for Hoists, I guess I take it back - Buscador is usable, although I would never use her haha.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: