main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

wholesale from china through DHgate

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
The “Small Fry” Challenge
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brettb45
Expert
Expert

Subject: The “Small Fry” Challenge   PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote

The “Small Fry” Challenge

The Challenge
Design a fleet for a Standard 40 point game using only one and two masted ships! Your fleet will be evaluated against your fellow entrants to determine the winner.

Rules and Setup
-All standard game rules are in effect.
-All tournament-legal ships/crew/etc. are allowed as well as RtSS pieces.
-Fleets can be multi-national; however, crew may still only use their abilities on ships of their respective nationality, unless the ship or another crew has an ability that lets them do otherwise. “Pirate crew may use their abilities on this ship”, etc.
-Events can be used.
-One Unique Treasure can be included.
-Mysterious Islands will not be used.
-Flotillas and Native Canoes can be used even though they have no masts.

Fleet Scoring
-Only one fleet will be allowed per player.
-Judging will be entirely subjective by me, based on these five categories listed below that Woelf used in his fleet challenge (slightly modified). If there are two or three fleets that really stand out above the rest I might put those to a community vote.
-The primary criteria for judging will be the effectiveness of the fleet in a standard game, but extra "points" will be given for things like creativity in the fleet design and the quality of your fleet description.
-Here are the five categories:

Combat Capability - 15 Points Max
This category is a measure of a fleet's destructive power. Cannons, extra actions, and other relevant abilities are taken into account, as is the fleet's staying power in an extended fight.

Treasure-Running Capability - 20 Points Max
This category is a measure of a fleet's ability to collect gold. Speed, cargo space, and relevant abilities are the focus here. This category is weighted higher than combat because gold is what ultimately wins games, not guns.

Overall Effectiveness - 15 Points Max
This category gives a general overall rating for each fleet, which takes into account the previous two categories and how well they mesh together, plus anything extra that might not fit perfectly into either category.

Creativity - 25 Points Max
This category is highly subjective, and is essentially a measure of how creative and unique everyone was in their picks and tactics. The big name, highly-effective, and powerful pieces are obviously the most commonly used for good reason, and while they provide a great deal of strength in other categories they're not worth so much here. In other fleet challenges this category alone could be (and often has been) the deciding factor, but this time it's more balanced.

Fleet Description - 25 Points Max
This is the final and most important category. It's an evaluation of the descriptions given to each fleet, which was stated and/or implied several times to be very important to this challenge. The specific items involved don't actually matter at all for this one, because it's all about how well you described and discussed what you had. Aside from the obvious description of how each item would be used, some other things looked for were some insight into why you drafted what you did, what you think the strengths and weaknesses of your fleet are, plus anything else that goes above and beyond a simple description.

FINAL SCORE - 100 Points Maximum

Prizes
-Bragging rights and the opportunity to create the next fleet challenge! (P.S. I might try to put some kind of prize together, still thinking about this one.)

Submitting Fleets
-Today is Friday, August 14th, please post in this thread as soon as you’ve decided to accept this challenge.
-Sunday August 30th is the Grand Reveal Day, which is when all of the fleets should be publically posted.
-When you do publish your fleet, please include “Small Fry” or some other obvious reference to this Challenge in the title. Also, please post a link to your fleet in this thread.

Good luck and have fun! Very Happy

Last edited by brettb45 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote

accepted!

I think anyone who uses Le Solitaire is the frontrunner! Wink

I will have to give this one a lot of thought... this scenario is something we were going to try in my group but never got around to it, heh.
notalwaysyou
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote

Challenge accepted! Here's some filler text.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote

Challenge accepted. This will be fun..... Smile
el_cazador

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote

Challenge accepted!

If any legal game piece (within your rules) is in, this could get rough...
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote

I'm in, of course. Cool
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote

I'm in. Already have a few ideas...
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote

also just to be clear... do we have to post our fleets ON Aug 30 or at any point before then? ( i hope and assume latter, but wanted to make sure)
brettb45
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote

You can post it before that date and I will definitely include it, but I think it would be fun to have everyone reveal their fleets as close to the same time as possible. Also, if you have some clever ideas for combos it might be a good idea not to let others see them. It could possibly give people other ideas, ways to counter it, ways to improve on it, etc.
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote

brettb45 wrote:
You can post it before that date and I will definitely include it, but I think it would be fun to have everyone reveal their fleets as close to the same time as possible. Also, if you have some clever ideas for combos it might be a good idea not to let others see them. It could possibly give people other ideas, ways to counter it, ways to improve on it, etc.

Gotcha. I am leaving for a short vacation that day and will be on the road and/or not able to post. So, I will do it the night before or try very early that day. Thanks!
crebostar
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote

Challenge accepted!
brettb45
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:48 am Reply with quote

Clarification: Even though Flotillas and Native Canoes do not have masts, I will allow them to be used since they are in the "Small Fry" category. Sea Creatures; including Sea Dragons, Sea Monsters, Titans, Krakens, or Octopus do have "masts". So, the 2 masts or less rule applies.
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:36 am Reply with quote

i'll give it a try. count me in
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote

Shocked

I have an absolutely WACKY idea for this challenge... Laughing

I really want to hint at what it is, but I'm weary of giving anything away... let's just say it would be very unexpected.

(This challenge is making me go back and look at some ideas for fleets and combos that I haven't seen in a while. Happy to see so many people participating already!)
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote

Question: Can we use Return to Savage Shores (RtSS) pieces?

I'm getting more ideas based on the nature of the challenge... I have a bad feeling about a particular aspect of it... Twisted Evil
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: