main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

wholesale from china through DHgate

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Ranking: Cursed Gold Runners

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Ranking: Cursed Gold Runners   PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote

The Cursed have never been good at running treasure. At all. Ever. Laughing

They do have a few options, but outside of these ones you're really going to have to get creative (and expensive) if you want to get gold.

Top 5 Cursed Gold Runners:

1. Grinder

I really need this ship lol. Put an explorer on her and you're moving S+L with room for 3 coins. With a price of only 13 points that's about as good as you're going to get with the Cursed. In addition her abilities and fantastic cannon ranks can really help her fight back and/or escape an attack.

2. Sea Monkey

The Sea Monkey is another Cursed ship with S+L speed and four cargo spaces. The same rules apply here; now you've got one less point to spend on other stuff but you get the reverse captain ability.

3. Sea Duck

With or without an explorer this is one of the most effective Cursed gold runners that's cheap and not abysmally slow. Ideally you'll be able to shoot at danger before it gets to you with her ability, but we all know that the best laid plans get ruined, especially in Pirates. Laughing

4. Sea Rat

The Sea Rat is always underrated. It's probably because she is a two masted junk, one of the hardest ships to build. She's from the most common set (OE), so some players no doubt have many Sea Rats. In addition, Sea Rat is not an especially flattering name for a ship. However, this ship is a nice treasure runner once you add a helmsman and explorer. L+S, room for 3 coins, 13 points. The added bonus of being able to steal treasure from an enemy HI makes her an ideal gold runner (for the Cursed).

5. Guichuan/Delusion

Ugh. I didn't really want to rank these but the other options are so bad that I had to throw them in at the end of this list. The Guichuan would get the nod for the Treasure Ship keyword and being slightly cheaper, but since you are required to use the Headhunter she comes in at 36 points. The Delusion gives you better speed and more abilities that may or may not (probably not) be useful, while sacrificing cargo space once you add crew. The Guichuan is better at being a gunship and a pure treasure runner while the Delusion is better at finding gold, stealing it, and generally just taking up a lot of useless space. Rolling Eyes

Honorable mentions (in no particular order): Cyclone, Maman Brigitte, Fallen Angel, Hangman's Joke, Loa's Justice, Grim Reaper, Celestine, Native Canoes, Dark Pact

If Return to Savage Shores had actually been produced and released, the Cursed would have gotten a ship named “Sskwa'aluk” Laughing . That ship would have been #1 on this list.
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:00 am Reply with quote

Heh, tough list.

I think you missed one of my favorites though - the Pestilence . Since I don't consider either 10 mast playable in a normal game, let alone as a "treasure runner" I would rank her 5th. Either her or Celestine, whose ability is awesomesauce. IF only she was more than 1 masted =

I would also say the Fiddler's Green deserves a honorable mention.
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:03 am Reply with quote

Cyclone and Celestine really should be up on that list, or at the very least ahead of the 10-masters. Celestine belongs in the top 3.

Cyclone is only slightly faster than Sea Rat, but has a much better ability. It's the same one found on Maman Brigitte, but is actually useful on Cyclone because it's fast enough (with helmsman/navigator help) to use it, and being a galley means you don't have to worry about careful maneuvering to avoid getting pinned in the process.

Celestine is a little weird the way it works, but is faster than any other ship on this list when you consider that most of the time it's going to be moving at least S+L+S without a helmsman, thanks to either the straight +S boost or the extra distance from a trade current (whether just placed or previously placed). Add in one of those rarely-seen crew links that are more than just flavor text, and you've got a ship that can alternate between going crazy fast (by any nation's standards) and blanketing the area with trade currents that help out your entire fleet. Having just a single mast does leave it somewhat vulnerable, but because it's a Galley it can keep right on going even if that mast gets knocked off - and it'll still be moving remarkably fast for a derelict.

Pestilence, as Volt mentioned, is a very good one too, even though that defensive ability is easy to ignore by simply ramming the ship.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote

Very good points. I suppose I overvalue durability in gold runners because I've had so many one masters rammed out of the game. I don't own the Celestine and that's one reason I didn't really think more highly of her. I look forward to seeing what she can do someday!

I was also under the impression that you had to place a trade current instead of moving. Is this true? By that assumption I only saw the Celestine moving 1/3 of the time, which obviously would really hamper what she could do.

As for the Pestilence, I actually had never considered using that ship as a gold runner (partly because of the ramming issue). I was introduced to her by way of using Davy Jones on a ten master to copy the ability.

I like the Cyclone; however I personally feel that the Sea Rat is a slightly better overall ship because she moves faster for the same 12 points and has more cargo space.
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
I was also under the impression that you had to place a trade current instead of moving. Is this true? By that assumption I only saw the Celestine moving 1/3 of the time, which obviously would really hamper what she could do.
You lose the movement when using a Navigator, but Celestine's ability is slightly different and happens in addition to movement.

That means you could place a trade current and then immediately move through it, or with Master Scribe on board and decent rolls you could potentially put down two separate trade currents at once.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
a7xfanben wrote:
You lose the movement when using a Navigator, but Celestine's ability is slightly different and happens in addition to movement.

That means you could place a trade current and then immediately move through it, or with Master Scribe on board and decent rolls you could potentially put down two separate trade currents at once.

Ahhh, that changes everything. Considering that then yes the Celestine would jump into the top five.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: