main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

wholesale from china through DHgate

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

TIP Browse your collector displays online! You can see your collection graphically as if you had your displays on the web, and you can sort them in different ways.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Ranking: American Gunships

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Ranking: American Gunships   PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote

Top 10 American Gunships:

1. Enterprise

After putting the HMS Titan #1 on my list of English gunships, it should come as no surprise to see the Enterprise atop this list. The Enterprise was actually the second five master I ever got, so naturally she's seen a ton of usage. In fact, her masts have been taken out and replaced so many times that they're looser than most other ships.

2. Blackwatch

I've said this already, but there's nothing like having a world-hater on a ship with great cannons. The Blackwatch has firepower that is almost unrivalled by any other ship.

3. USS Kettering

This ship is one of the coolest ships in the entire game. She already has good speed, so you don't need a helmsman like you do with most other gunships. The Longship keyword doubles her firepower to six shots per turn. The built-in canceller is what puts this ship over the top - just about the best and most flexible ability in the game.

4. Ghost Walker

See the Kettering above. The Ghost Walker doesn't have quite the firepower, but the Ghost Walker is still a ship to be very concerned about.

5. Franklin

This is another legendary ship that has sent countless vessels to the bottom of the sea. Equip her with a captain and helmsman and you'll have 4 1S guns sailing at S+S+S speed.

6. Constitution

Since the two versions of this ship are so different I've ranked them separately. This one isn't as playable as the OE version, but as with El Acorazado there is not really another gunship in this game that can beat a ship like the Constitution in one-on-one action.

7. USS Thomas Jefferson

This five master is an absolute beast with all 2S guns and five cargo spaces to fill up. The S-boarding ability makes her even more deadly. I also find her to be one of the coolest looking five masters.

8. USS Mercury

This is the best 3 masted submarine in the game. The Mercury combines the best guns money can buy with a nice defensive ability. If this wasn't a submarine it wouldn't be on the list, but subs are notoriously difficult to stop and this one is exceptionally good where others are not.

9. USS Constitution/Bonhomme Richard

Since these are so similar and I did separate rankings for the Constitution, these two are ranked together. The Richard gives you slightly better speed but slightly worse firepower. If you know what faction you'll be facing it will make your decision easier.

10. USS Stephens

The Stephens is the only ship in the game with both the captain and reverse captain abilities. This makes her the only ship that's viable to use as a gunship with no crew whatsoever. She is slow and expensive, however, so to maximize your investment I would suggest a helmsman and a world-hater. Her rather average guns keep her from moving higher on this list.

Very close to being in the top 10 (in no particular order): Intrepid, Mohican, USS Albany, USS Eagan, Independence

Other honorable mentions (in no particular order): USS Concordia, USS Morning Star, Sea Serpent, USS Denver, USS Seattle, Concord, Horizon, President, Providence, Hessian, Paul Revere, USS Atlanta, USS Maryland, USS Sioux, USS Quigley, Chesapeake, Jarvis, Julius Caesar, Louisiana, Peacock, Saratoga, USS Emerald, USS Hudson, USS Montezuma, USS Overton, Minuteman
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:37 am Reply with quote

I personally would switch the two Constitutions around (both would still be on the list); in my book, playability would outweigh a nice defensive ability. But other than that, this is another fantastic list!
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:59 am Reply with quote

This is a hard list, so many good american gunships. Love that you have the Kettering so high, but despite her 6 guns, she still only has 3 masts. While I love cancellers, they don't do anything against L guns and a captain =) I would still keep Kettering on there, but Ghostwalker would drop off of it in my opinion.

To take its place would be the INtrepid - I am a little shocked she didn't make your list - she would be in my top 5. Maybe I am a little biased because she has been such a great ship for me, but she is also awesome looking! lol

The Mercury is a little iffy for me as well. The Bonhomme/Cons combo ranks higher for me.

I have soft spots for the President and Hudson (awesome abilities), as well as the Providence (awesome Cargo), and all are S+L which I absolutely love in a gunship... but they all have 3 rank cannons, so I understand that they don't make the cut for you.

I guess my list would be:
1) Enterprise
2) Blackwatch
3) Franklin
4) Intrepid
5) TJ
6) Bonhomme/OE Const
7) Kettering
Cool Rev Const.
9) Stephens
10) President
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote

I don't know if USS Mercury would have made my list, but USS Kettering definitely belongs up near the top. It just a shame that one of the best submarines doesn't belong to the Mercenaries, and it's almost a crime that the best (by far) Longship in the game isn't Viking. Although, if they had to land somewhere, I'm glad they're both with the Americans who actually need ships like them, rather than dumping even more power ships in with the Pirates or French.

Constitution (Rev) is a great ship, but even though it's slightly faster than El Acorazado it really pales in comparison because the Americans are so lacking for good crew. Vega is absolutely unique to Spain, and the only canceler (crew) the Americans have exists solely as cardboard .
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:43 pm Reply with quote

I'm sad to see that neither Delaware or USS Superior didn't make even the honorable mention. Yes, they're 2-mast Sloops but with the awesome ability to eliminate two masts with their dual cannons- making them as effective as four-mast galleons. Both of them are set-up gunner, weakening bigger ships for others to finish off.

The Delaware is obviously the better ship- with a long range cannon and three cargo spaces [for a captain, helmsman, and a cannoneer!] versus the Superior's one-cargo and two-short range cannons.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote

selvaxri wrote:
I'm sad to see that neither Delaware or USS Superior didn't make even the honorable mention. Yes, they're 2-mast Sloops but with the awesome ability to eliminate two masts with their dual cannons- making them as effective as four-mast galleons. Both of them are set-up gunner, weakening bigger ships for others to finish off.

The Delaware is obviously the better ship- with a long range cannon and three cargo spaces [for a captain, helmsman, and a cannoneer!] versus the Superior's one-cargo and two-short range cannons.

They're both pretty expensive for what you get and their cannons are simply average. Although they have the "power" of 4 masters, their fragility brings up the same problem that longships run into. The Superior especially isn't a very good ship because you can't even fit a helmsman on her to make her go fast enough to do anything.
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:24 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
selvaxri wrote:

They're both pretty expensive for what you get and their cannons are simply average. Although they have the "power" of 4 masters, their fragility brings up the same problem that longships run into. The Superior especially isn't a very good ship because you can't even fit a helmsman on her to make her go fast enough to do anything.

I just noticed the USS Maryland in the Honorable Mentions. I agree, she's not quite top 10, but she is still absolutely fantastic; I need to get my hands on one.
lord_denton
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:24 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
selvaxri wrote:

I don't know, the reviews on Pojo of the USS Superior are pretty convincing that they are worthy of a long second look. And the reviewers only made mention of Cargo Masters and nothing about Navigators. The Americans have options with their 1-cargo ships. (I'm not sure if they have any others worthy of mention)

http://www.pojo.com/pirates/cotd/2009/June/7-3.shtml
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote

lord_denton wrote:
a7xfanben wrote:

I don't know, the reviews on Pojo of the USS Superior are pretty convincing that they are worthy of a long second look. And the reviewers only made mention of Cargo Masters and nothing about Navigators. The Americans have options with their 1-cargo ships. (I'm not sure if they have any others worthy of mention)

http://www.pojo.com/pirates/cotd/2009/June/7-3.shtml
When several independent-ish reviews all say that USS Superior is only playable (not necessarily "good") if you include this other specific item elsewhere in your fleet, it's not exactly a ringing endorsement for the ship.

While it is true the having a Cargo Master and/or Navigator in your fleet will improve that ship considerably, they'd also make any other ship that started out decent that much better by comparison.

Given the cost of a Cargo Master, unless you're already planning to use the bonus on other ships in your fleet, it's not worth including just to make USS Superior playable. For those same 15 points (S+CM) you could take your pick of several different 4-masted ships that will deliver the same or better theoretical firepower, will be twice as durable, and will most likely have better stats in general.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: