main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

wholesale from china through DHgate

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Ranking: Pirate Gold Runners

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Ranking: Pirate Gold Runners   PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote

The Pirates have always been just about the best faction for gold running. You’ll notice that they got most of their best runners in the first handful of sets, followed by a long drought of slower ships and more combat-oriented ships. However, even if you limit their ships to CC and RV alone you can make a case that they have the best treasure running fleet in the game.

Top 10 Pirate Gold Runners:

1. Banshee's Cry

Widely considered to be the best ship in the game. Also the most undercosted ship in the game. Only 4 points (with an explorer) gives you L+L movement with room for three coins. Have you heard enough about this ship yet?

2. Darkhawk II

Depending on your preferences for large vs. small treasure runners, this ship could be moved down to #6 since the following four ships are all quite similar. However, the Darkhawk deserves recognition as one of the best ships in the game and quite possibly the best ship overall, because unlike the Cry she can put up a good fight. Even after you add a captain, helsmman, and explorer you'll have 5 cargo spaces available.

The following four ships are all quite similar and therefore can be interchanged. I ranked them as follows based on their total point cost. All four are incredibly popular and make the Pirates the best faction in the game.

3. Bloody Jewel

9 points (with helmsman + explorer): S+L+S speed with 3 spaces.

4. Bonnie Liz

11 points (with helmsman + explorer): S+L+S speed with 3 spaces.

5. Star of Siam

9 points (with explorer): S+S+S speed with 3 spaces.

6. Raven

11 points (with explorer): S+S+S speed with 3 spaces.

7. Neptune's Hoard

This is the flagship of the old Norvegia setup with crew like Don Pedro Gilbert. Even after the ruling on gold was changed the Hoard remains one of the best ships ever. She's even got serviceable guns to use if you wanted to make her a hybrid ship.

8. Hai Peng

This is the fastest ship in the game when you add a captain and helmsman (S+L+L+S). If you add a crew like Captain Jack Sparrow you can save a cargo space (you can also use Hammersmith to combine abilities). Using Captain Jack also opens up possibilities for crazy fleets like this one. This is one of the most interesting ships in the game.

9. Coral

This is one of my oldest ships and one of the best one masters. It would be nice if she had one more cargo space, but even with an explorer she has two spaces available for gold, which isn't bad when you consider that the other coin or two on the island is probably a 1 or 2 since you'll take the highest value coins. She is vulnerable to ramming, but her ability makes her tougher than most one masters, not to mention the fact that her 2L cannon could come in handy. A very good ship overall.

10. Amity

For the last spot I chose one of the only three masters in the game with S+S+S speed. She's a bit pricier than most of the other ships on the list, but her speed and ability make her very evasive and difficult to stop.

Honorable mentions (in no particular order): Barnacle, Dragon, Grand Barnacle, Jolly Mon, Paradox, Song, Swift, Foresight, Mystic, Sea Crane, Adventure, Cassandra, Eagle, La Victoire, Mermaid, Rover, White Rose, Shamrock, Cursed Blade, Hades' Flame, Lightning, Bandido, Black Heart, Gale Force Nine, Longshanks, Pandora, Raven's Neck, Shadow, Akua Lapu, Cannibal King
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:27 am Reply with quote

Great list again!

On principle, I refuse to use my Banshee's Cry - she still sits in her card, unpunched (just like mermaids heh) Also on principle, I automatically target the Cry whenever any opponent uses her heh.

I also never use the Darkhawk without a Captain it seems, so while she runs treasure, I don't see her as a treasure runner.

So when I play Pirates, its always the other big 4 that fight for my attention. I am so glad you picked the Amity as #10, I love that ship, and she is great in larger point games. Of course, my group loves terrain, so maybe I overvalue her a bit heh.

The Hai Peng and Coral though would not make my list. While I agree the Hai Peng is a interesting ship, she is too expensive for my book, and I feel that her ability is almost not usable. Sure, a SLSL ship is nice, but at 18 points? If she had better guns I would consider her usable, but for me she is just not. Believe me, I have tried to work her in many fleets and I just couldn't lol.

As for the Coral, I love the ability, but I prefer the Dragon, Sea Crane, or Shamrock (biased again lol) above her fragility of 1 mastedness. The best though that you left off the list for me is the Cassandra, which is a slightly less voluminous version of La Joya Del Sol. I love big treasure runners lol.

I think my top 7 would be the same as yours, more or less. My bottom three would be Cassandra, Amity and Dragon.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:28 am Reply with quote

volt wrote:
The Hai Peng and Coral though would not make my list. While I agree the Hai Peng is a interesting ship, she is too expensive for my book, and I feel that her ability is almost not usable. Sure, a SLSL ship is nice, but at 18 points? If she had better guns I would consider her usable, but for me she is just not. Believe me, I have tried to work her in many fleets and I just couldn't lol.

darrin made some incredibly good fleets (UPS and darrin's Gold Race) using the Hai Peng, but I agree that she is a bit pricy for a two master. I have my own biases as well, for I am biased towards the Hai Peng (normally used with Captain Jack Sparrow) because she did so well in my games over the past month.

I totally hear you about the Coral (one master), and I actually just got the Dragon.
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:56 am Reply with quote

volt wrote:
Great list again!

On principle, I refuse to use my Banshee's Cry - she still sits in her card, unpunched (just like mermaids heh) Also on principle, I automatically target the Cry whenever any opponent uses her heh.

Agreed, when the same ship starts appearing over and over, something has to be done about it.

And as always, very good again a7xfanben! I'm very curious to see what your list for Cursed treasure runners will look like. Wink
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote

Good list. Aside from #1, all of those next several ships are so good it's tough to set a specific order between them. Star of Siam has the speed advantage over BJ and Liz, but they have a slight cargo advantage so it's close.

Raven feels like it should be higher, but that's more because it's such a fantastic hybrid ship rather than just a pure runner. It's a little on the light side for a gunship, but with that speed, ability, and those cannons it's a tough little beast.

Neat to see Amity get a shout-out because that's one of my favorite Pirate ships, but it's a little pricey to make the top 10. Longshanks should have that spot instead, and maybe even bump up a few more slots, because it was the Banshee's Cry long before there ever was a Banshee's Cry. It was one of the primary driving forces behind the addition of the original "no duplicates" rule because it was so effective for the price - players would often put several into their fleets and would just run over the top of their opposition with them because few other ships and setups could keep up with that many at once. It does have that annoying ability, but most of the time you find a 1 or some other low-value treasure that you don't really want anyways, so that's fairly minor.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: