main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

wholesale from china through DHgate

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Custom Ships
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject: Custom Ships   PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote

I finally managed to play a few games (battle report coming soon-ish), one of which was played using my new rule-set, which itself has some custom game pieces I'll show another time. For now, I'd like to show some of the custom ships I've been working on for some time, so without further ado..

Here are all of the completed ships. From left to right: Sunset, Octavius, USS Oregon (now as a clipper), Milan, Maine, Baldur, and Shen.
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:05 am Reply with quote

First up: The Sunset.

There's not much new about this ship, but I thought that it would be worth mentioning that it is a repaint of the Abomination

which I think we can all agree is not the prettiest ship out there.

This was my first stab at painting a ship, which was done by scraping away the gloss finish of the original ship, a base coat, and then details from there. Fine lines were done using a thin felt-tip artist's pen, and although not visible in this picture, the Sunset has a detailed deck, planks and all. Her sails also have rigging, although this is just barely visible, as most of the detail is on the back of the mainsails. To protect the ship from scrapes and loss of paint, I sprayed the ship with a matte coat of a paint protector, which does a fine job of keeping away unsightly scratches.
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:20 am Reply with quote

Now comes the Octavius. This is an icebreaker/steamer that is based off of the fictional ship of the same name, as well as being partly inspired by the HMS Terror and HMS Erebus.

Octavius
HMS Terror

The metallic bow of the ship was made by flipping the broken bow of a ship and gluing it to the prow of the Juggernaut . The paddle-wheels of the ship are simply excess gold coins painted brown and glued to the sides. The boiler and smokestack between the two masts are made from small pieces of balsa wood. I finally painted icicles and snow all over the ship to give it that frozen feel. ]link text[/url]
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:08 am Reply with quote

The USS Oregon is simply a retrofitted four-mast schooner hull with square rigged sails, cannibalized from the Poor Adams .

The Milan is a gunboat, so it sits lower in the water than a standard two-mast ship due to the weight of its guns. To represent this, the hull is that of a two mast schooner attached to a two mast square rigged deck, which makes the ship appear as if it had a deeper draft. Personally I'm pleased with the way the paint scheme came out on this one.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:19 am Reply with quote

Those look fantastic! Thanks for sharing these with us!

I've always considered mixing and matching different masts and hulls, but never going this far. Nice job.

Last edited by a7xfanben on Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:21 am; edited 1 time in total
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:19 am Reply with quote

The Maine is also a new model type, the fishing trawler, and is basically the inverse of the gunboat. Its hull is from a two mast square rigged ship while its deck is that of a two mast schooner (which allowed me to make an equal number of gunboats for fishing trawlers). The sails are the fore and aft masts of a four mast schooner. I especially like the simple trim of the hull on this ship, and it is quite distinct on the playing-field due to its small size but tall sails.

Now for the two sea monsters. Baldur is a mix of a serpent and a dragon, and the red color scheme came from a suggestion from Woelf a while back on what the color of the lost sea dragon could have been.

Shen is a blind titan, and carries the corpses of its victims on its back. I had a lot of fun with this one, as it allowed me to be a bit more creative with how I wanted the game piece to appear.

That's all of the custom ships I have for today, I might get a few more picks in through the following days. There are some that are very nearly complete, and most of the ships that I posted have abilities and flavor text, which I might edit back into the post once I feel that they are in a balanced state.
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:22 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
Those look fantastic! Thanks for sharing these with us!

I've always considered mixing and matching different masts and hulls, but never going this far. Nice job.

Do you have any custom stats and abilities for how the ships function in the game?

Why thank you! I do have some of it made, but playing with some of them in game they were either too lackluster or over-powered. The gunboats especially were very good at area denial with their doubled range, so I'll be toning them down a bit.
selvaxri
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:08 am Reply with quote

I like the Baldur sea dragon... and i wish i could get other shots of the hermit crab monster, can't really see much of what you've done.

and what's wrong with the Abomination? my friend and i love the paint scheme of that Rat-Fink-inspired ship.

I've been trying to build a hybrid ship from my various loose pieces...
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote

selvaxri wrote:
I like the Baldur sea dragon... and i wish i could get other shots of the hermit crab monster, can't really see much of what you've done.

and what's wrong with the Abomination? my friend and i love the paint scheme of that Rat-Fink-inspired ship.

I've been trying to build a hybrid ship from my various loose pieces...

I'll post a few more shots of the crab with the second wave of pictures.

The Abomination is a particularly disliked ship in my gaming group, as it doesn't very much appear like a ship, and we honestly think the artwork is not very good. A few members on here would also agree, although I'm glad that you like it Smile .
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote

Finally have some stats that I'm satisfied with. If any seem wildly over-powered or not very useful, let me know so that I can edit them!

For a refresher, the steamer ability allows the ship to move while derelict, as well as giving it a movement bonus of +S when the ship has all of its masts. The gunboat ability gives the ship the boosted cannons of a longship, so a two mast ship would fire four cannons, but the ship also receives extended range. However, she cannot move faster than her printed base move, in order to prevent the ship from simply racing all over the map and killing everything. The clipper ability gives a +S movement bonus to ships that are carrying treasure.

Let me know what you think! I enjoy feedback and constructive criticism so that I can make these pieces playable but fun.

PS. I'm also working on making some of the RtSS ships, seeing as all the information is available but they just need physical models.

Sunset

Point Cost: 10
Nationality: Pirate
Movement: S+S
Cargo: 2
Masts: 4
Cannon Rank: 3S, 2S, 3S, 3S

Special Ability: Cursed ships gain +1 to their cannon rolls against this ship

Flavor Text: The captain of the Sunset somehow angered the Cursed, and now the ship spends her days on the run.

Octavius

Point Cost: 14
Nationality: Cursed
Movement: L
Cargo: 3
Cannon Rank: 2L,2L,3L,4L

Special Ability: Steamer.

Flavor Text: A new class of vessel on her maiden voyage, the Octavius was trapped amidst the icy shores of the artic. Considered by many to be lost, she surprised the world by returning — although under new ownership.

USS Oregon

Point Cost: 15
Nationality: American
Movement: S+L
Cargo: 3
Cannon Rank: 4S,4S,4S,5S

Special Ability: Clipper. Once per turn, this ship may move S after loading treasure.

Flavor Text: USS Oregon was the United States’ first vessel commissioned on the West Coast, and has become a common sight on the Pacific.

(not a whole lot changed here, but the ship is much more useful now)

Milan

Point Cost: 12
Nationality: Spain
Masts: 2
Cannon Rank: 4S,3S

Special Ability: Gunboat.

Flavor Text: Built in response to the increasing influence of the American fleet, the Milan protects Spain’s vital harbors in the Pacific.

Maine

Point Cost: 8
Nationality: American
Movement: L
Cargo: 5
Masts: 2
Cannon Rank: 4S,4S

Special Ability: This ship gets +1 to her boarding rolls.

Flavor Text: The crew of the Maine would prefer to peacefully sail in the North Atlantic in search of cod, but have recently had to defend themselves against the British.

Shen

Point Cost: 12
Nationality: Cursed
Cannon Rank: 3S,3S,3S,3S

Special Ability: Titan. Secret Hold.

Flavor Text: Covered in the rotting hulls of its victims, Shen has been hunting since a time forgotten for the crew that rendered it blind, seething with an anger beyond any man.
lord_denton
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote

I'm just seeing these for the first time and wow! Amazing work Cannonfury! I really like how they are not just repaints, although that in itself is ambitious, but usage of different game pieces together!

I like the profile view of the USS Oregon. It would look quite impressive if I were facing her in a game. The Baldur is really well done. That coolness factor is just... wow. It combines the best of both worlds with the Serpent and the Dragon! I'd like to see more angles of Shen, to see how the wreckage has accumulated on her (nice backstory!).
notalwaysyou
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:46 am Reply with quote

These are really freaking well done, I love them all... Though I have to say, I loved the Titan's design and Shen builds on that so wonderfully that it deserves an extra special mention.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:50 am Reply with quote

I wouldn't want steam to seep into our game but the Octavius looks the coolest to me. That dragon is pretty epic as well.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:40 am Reply with quote

Very interesting, and very cool. I like the look and ability of the Octavius, and Baldur looks really cool. Awesome job on these. I've toyed with the idea of custom ships and abilities myself, but have rejected them as being too overpowered for actual use. Very Happy
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:50 am Reply with quote

lord_denton wrote:
I'm just seeing these for the first time and wow! Amazing work Cannonfury! I really like how they are not just repaints, although that in itself is ambitious, but usage of different game pieces together!

I like the profile view of the USS Oregon. It would look quite impressive if I were facing her in a game. The Baldur is really well done. That coolness factor is just... wow. It combines the best of both worlds with the Serpent and the Dragon! I'd like to see more angles of Shen, to see how the wreckage has accumulated on her (nice backstory!).

Thanks very much! I had a lot of fun with Shen, although my current favorite is a ship I just recently painted from RtSS... Some extra angles of Shen will be posted, you're the second person who's asked for it, haha.

notalwaysyou wrote:
These are really freaking well done, I love them all... Though I have to say, I loved the Titan's design and Shen builds on that so wonderfully that it deserves an extra special mention.

Thank you!

a7xfanben wrote:
I wouldn't want steam to seep into our game but the Octavius looks the coolest to me. That dragon is pretty epic as well.

I thought it was a logical progression seeing as there are turbines in the game, but yes, I don't want too many being in the game, just as a sort of precursor to what's coming later in history. Octavius was most likely the most difficult to build, the paddle wheels would keep falling off! Laughing

xerecs wrote:
Very interesting, and very cool. I like the look and ability of the Octavius, and Baldur looks really cool. Awesome job on these. I've toyed with the idea of custom ships and abilities myself, but have rejected them as being too overpowered for actual use.

Unfortunately however, Baldur has proven to be really unwieldy to store, so it has become a sort of window-sill pet...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117  Next
Page 1 of 117

Jump to: