main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

wholesale from china through DHgate

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Introducing the Rankings threads!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Introducing the Rankings threads!   PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:47 am Reply with quote

Inspired by both the Random Pirates Piece Discussion thread and lordstu's "Big 8" fleets, welcome to the first ranking thread!

Each thread will discuss the top 5 or 10 gunships or goldships for each particular faction. The particular number will be determined by the faction's strengths. For example, the Americans will probably have 10 gunships ranked but perhaps only 5 treasure runners.

I was thinking about making a third thread for each faction for "hybrids", but I decided it's easier to go with two threads, and if a ship can make both lists, good for her! Very Happy

I'll post my personal opinion on each list and then everyone else can post theirs. Hopefully we can get a good lively discussion/argument going. Very Happy

I'm going to try to post a new thread each week, but it may be more or less often depending on my schedule.

Top 10 English Gunships:

1. HMS Titan

This ship is the first gunship to ever be gifted with amazing guns and the built-in EA roll. Back in the old days before the 2 action limit rule was instituted, players everywhere loaded the Titan up with crew like Myngs and gave their ship enough extra actions to clear the board in one turn. Even today you'll occasionally see newbies posting fleets claiming to be able to eliminate upwards of 20 masts in one turn using old-school combos. Very Happy Although the Titan has serious competition now that all the sets are out, she still remains one of the most formidable foes you can face in this game. A large cargo space, average base move, and fair point cost make her the quintessential gunship.

2. HMS Grand Temple

One of the most undercosted ships in the game, the English version of the original GT just missed out on the #1 spot. I felt that the Titan's 2 extra cargo spaces gave her more flexibility in terms of crew and potential treasure running/stealing, and the EA is worth more than allowing Pirate crew aboard. Although, since Pirate crew can be used on the HMS GT, undercosted crew such as Calico Cat can come aboard and give the GT an EA at a discount.

That being said, the Grand Temple combines above average size with above average speed (for her size, anyway), not to mention her near-perfect guns. I myself have used her extensively, and I can say that she is one of the best gunships in the game, regardless of nationality.

3. HMS Endeavour

Combining theoretically perfect guns with the most potent offensive ability in the game, this beast is probably the most powerful five master ever. Put a world-hater on board and you've got a chance to take out up to 10 masts in one turn if you can find enough targets. The only things that hold this ship back from taking the #1 spot are her high point cost (tough to use in the standard 40 point format) and her average speed and cargo space. In addition, many players may be expecting her to be used a lot, so make sure to have a counter for ships with this ability.

4. HMS London

Not only does the London combine great cannons with good speed, she only costs 11 points, less than most other large English gunships. She's not as flashy as some of her counterparts, but 16 points (with a captain and helmsman) gets you a very nice package. Her ability doesn't help her too much, but perhaps it's all for the better since it keeps her point cost low.

5. HMS Gallows

This ship is expensive and a bit slow at 16 points, but having 4 1L cannons before adding any crew is the best a gunship can ever do. Her firepower is simply too good to be ignored. In addition, her large cargo hold allows you to pack on deadly crew and equipment, or potentially use her as a treasure raider and/or hybrid ship.

6. HMS Oxford

Similar to the London but with a higher point cost and slightly less effective guns, the Oxford can fly under the radar by playing second fiddle to ships like the Titan and Endeavour. Her speed sets her apart; no other English gunship as large can boast such a high base move, outside of HMS Swallow. With just a captain aboard she's ready to go at 15 points. Again, like the Gallows, her extra cargo spaces can be utilized to run gold or try to steal it via boarding. Her ability is just gravy after how good the rest of the ship is.

7. HMS Bolingbroke

This one is a little bit sentimental, but I've always thought the Bolingbroke to be one of the most underrated ships in the game. The cheapest ship on this list, the Bolingbroke is very much like a smaller version of the London, combining S+S speed with good cannons. Released in the first set, her speed made her "fast" in those days. Cool Her ability is often cited as a good one to use behind a larger ship, but it's very flexible in that it can be used at any point in the game.

8. HMS Royal

This might be a surprise to some, however the impact of a world-hater on guns that are already good is understated. Raw firepower wins battles more than flashy ships and expensive crew. The Royal combines great firepower with enough cargo space to add another crew or equipment after the standard captain and helmsman (or Hermione Gold).

9. Gibraltar

Not exactly a ship, I first had doubts about putting this on the list. However, this is by far the cheapest bunch of guns you can buy in England. It would be considered even they didn't have great ranks (2) and ranges (S+S). Hook this up to a ship like the Oxford and you'll be almost unstoppable. Always remember that not only can your opponent only cancel your ship's captain, but the Extended Range keyword can let you snipe away from outside S range, not to mention the fact the the flotilla's shoot action can't be cancelled, making her perfect against ships with cancellers. I prefer the Gibraltar over the Tower because of the gun ranks and lower point cost, but Tower isn't far behind at all.

10. HMS Apollo

This was the hardest choice to make - HMS Victoria would probably be #11. You can see my honorable mentions below, but the last spot will always be a tough one. I went with the Apollo over the Victoria for a number of reasons. The Apollo has a faster base move, and her guns are a mix of S and L, which can be crucial if facing the wrong opponent. However, the Apollo's reroll gave her the advantage over the Victoria and the other version of HMS Apollo. Faction-haters are too situational, while the reroll can be used over and over for a multitude of things.

Honorable mentions (not in order): HMS Victoria, Tower, HMS Hyena, HMS Victor, Cygnet, HMS Durham, HMS Bretwalda, HMS Nautilus, HMS Swallow, HMS Leicester, HMS Lord Walpole, HMS Wycliffe, HMS Apollo

What are your picks for the top 10 English gunships?
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:20 am Reply with quote

Great list! You mentioned just about every ship I would consider, except possibly a honorable mention to the HMS Dauntless.

It is hard for me to distinguish between what is a good gunship, and what ships I would personally USE as a gunship. I can honestly tell you I am not sure I have EVER used the Titan in a regular game. Given the choice, I would choose Grand Temple over her every time, because of her slight edge in speed and people like Calico Cat and Crimson Angel. I would also rank London and Oxford ahead of the Titan because again they are more usable to me in a regular game.

I would also bump up the LE HMS Apollo - I WISH i had that ship, I love it! I would also include HMS Durham on my list - SL, 2/3 Guns, and 5 cargo? Yes sir sign me up. I also like to board, so the ability is a plus for me too.

I am so happy you honorably mentioned the HMS Nautilus. It actually has been my pick for my next review, but I can never seem to find the time and energy to finish it lol. I love that ship so much - her and the Victor.

I guess my list would be the following. I don't value Flotillas as much as you (too easy to kill), and I overvalue speed.

1)Grand Temple
2)London
3)Oxford
4)Titan
5)LE Apollo
6)Durham
7)Cygnet
8)Gallows
9)Endeavor
10)Nautilus
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:26 am Reply with quote

volt wrote:
Great list! You mentioned just about every ship I would consider, except possibly a honorable mention to the HMS Dauntless.

I am so happy you honorably mentioned the HMS Nautilus. It actually has been my pick for my next review, but I can never seem to find the time and energy to finish it lol. I love that ship so much - her and the Victor.

Glad you liked it! Your list looks very good. The Dauntless was one of the first ships I looked at so I sort of forgot about her - she would definitely go with the other honorable mention 5 masters. I liked seeing the Cygnet since I've never heard her mentioned anywhere other than my review of her.

I've had the Nautilus for a while. It seems to me that 3 masted gunships are often overlooked in favour of larger ships. They can pack a good amount of firepower for their size, especially the cheaper ones.
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:04 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
volt wrote:

Glad you liked it! Your list looks very good. The Dauntless was one of the first ships I looked at so I sort of forgot about her - she would definitely go with the other honorable mention 5 masters. I liked seeing the Cygnet since I've never heard her mentioned anywhere other than my review of her.

I've had the Nautilus for a while. It seems to me that 3 masted gunships are often overlooked in favour of larger ships. They can pack a good amount of firepower for their size, especially the cheaper ones.

I use the Cygnet and the Nautilus quite often, they're some of my favorite ships in the English fleet (that I own of course). I'd have to agree with you on the smaller ships, especially in standard games where the cost of a 5 mast ship is normally too high.

I would also throw in the HMS Burma as an honorable mention as well, she's served me well over the years.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:46 am Reply with quote

cannonfury wrote:
I would also throw in the HMS Burma as an honorable mention as well, she's served me well over the years.

Indeed; I considered her and the HMS Richards.
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
cannonfury wrote:

Indeed; I considered her and the HMS Richards.

Fair enough!
I look forward to the next set of ten, you make the discussion of each piece interesting!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote

cannonfury wrote:
Fair enough!
I look forward to the next set of ten, you make the discussion of each piece interesting!

Thanks! You won't have to wait long! Very Happy I'm trying to do at least one a week.

I just wish that I could have been this active here earlier, when a lot of our more active members were still on MT/more active than they are now. Sad

Oh well, at least we can play Pirates! Very Happy
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
cannonfury wrote:
Fair enough!

Thanks! You won't have to wait long! Very Happy I'm trying to do at least one a week.

I just wish that I could have been this active here earlier, when a lot of our more active members were still on MT/more active than they are now. Sad

Oh well, at least we can play Pirates! Very Happy

True, it's about keeping the game alive now!
lord_denton
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:12 am Reply with quote

Again, very nice list and thread! How about the HMS Orkney and/or the HMS Forge? But that might be due to my sentimentality for them. HMS Phoenix and the HMS Dover are definitely worthy of something in some category. Also, I think some of the 2-masters should be mentioned, even though they often get outclassed by larger ships that cost only a few points more. Sometimes you don't have those points though. For starters, how about the HMS Ram ? The HMS Success is similar to her and while her stats aren't amazing, for the points she's pretty cheap!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:41 am Reply with quote

lord_denton wrote:
How about the HMS Orkney and/or the HMS Forge? But that might be due to my sentimentality for them. HMS Phoenix and the HMS Dover are definitely worthy of something in some category. Also, I think some of the 2-masters should be mentioned, even though they often get outclassed by larger ships that cost only a few points more.

I forgot to add those four masters. For whatever reason my "honorable mentions" list got longer as I kept doing the list, and this first one is too short. There should also be some two masters in there.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: