main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

wholesale from china through DHgate

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Game Ideas
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Game Ideas   PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:18 am Reply with quote

This is a thread for all the different ideas for games that I have come up with or that I know of. I think it will be useful for reference in case any players want some fresh takes on Pirates CSG. Hopefully it will also spark interest for people to start playing. Very Happy If anyone has more ideas, please post them here!

Scenarios:
-Huge compilation of scenarios all in one document (tocoking)

-Cadet-Captain Mike's Pirates Page (there are a few scenarios that aren't listed in the above document)

-PotCS Adventure Book Game Scenarios

-There are some scenarios towards the bottom of this page from the old Wizkids site

-captain_vendari's scenarios

-Defence of St. Helens (deathmatch scenario) (Gustawicyryl)

-Circle of Blood scenario (Riz's website was taken down, but luckily I copied the scenario into my Pirates google doc. The scenario can be found in a later post in this thread, link HERE)

-Water World (brettb45)

-Uncharted Territories

-An idea by godmason to have a single wild island with at least 100 gold on it, surrounded by terrain and possibly some forts and flotillas.

-The Curse of the Flying Dutchman Scenario (Prince Rana)

-The Governer's Daughter Scenario! (CasualSax)

-Hole in the bottom of the sea (marhawkman)

-Race scenario (BootStrapBill)

-Jade Invaders (el_cazador)

-Joyful Seas (marhawkman)

-Balancing Secret Missions Scenario

Campaign Games:
-The World Game (a7xfanben, xerecs, and likely some guests)

-Economy Edition (cannonfury) (absolutely amazing campaign game that I played in June 2015) (original post) (Battle Report of xerecs' Economy Edition game)

-Century of the Empires (Sariouriel) (fantastic ruleset with a battle report that gives an idea of how the game would play) (Battle Report of xerecs' CotE game)

-Century of Economy (xerecs' fusion of Economy Edition and Century of the Empires)

-Pirates CSG combined with the board game RISK (a7xfanben)

-Pirates of the Cursed Seas Campaign (commodore vendari)

-Colonize the Caribbean (louisxiv)

-ARMADA (Wired_Wolf)

-Cumulative games - treasure is spent as the game progresses, making the game bigger and bigger (these games usually either end with a time limit where you count up how many points each player has, or it devolves into a deathmatch).

Variant Rulesets:
-The Pirates of Catan (Pirates CSG combined with the game Settlers of Catan) (woelf) (Quick Reference Guide)

-Tattered Sails and Shattered Gunwales (Custom rules that incorporate the effect of wind) (ThomasC)

-Complete Alternate Rules (EarthwormJim)

-Buccaneer (crikeymiles)

-Letter of Marque (Uethym)

-Wooden Ships and Iron Men (scribidinus)

Custom Sets: (Use existing ships as proxies, or create your own game pieces)

-Pirates of the Cursed Seas: The Great Sea (el_cazador)

-Cadet-Captain Mike's Set

-a7xfanben's Set

-Pirates: Treachery on the High Seas (vladsimpaler)

-Pirates: The Golden Age (vladsimpaler)

-Pirates: Back to War (Player-Made Set) (the_grandmaster)

-Pirates of the Forgotten Coast (Riz)

-Pirates of the Kraken Sea (mr_awesome) (original discussion thread)

-Pirates of the Tolling Depths (alanqsmithee)

-Custom Ships Organized Version (Custom Ships)

Other:
-New ideas for Mysterious Islands (louisxiv)

-Cadet-Captain Mike's Random Setup Tables

-New Pirates CSG Concepts for a New Age (relatively recent thread on here containing many interesting ideas)

-Multiplayer setups thread (linked to the post concerning custom terrain rules, but there are other ideas throughout the thread as well)

-Have a Sealed Pack game!

-Look up fleets and use them.

-Pick your absolute favourite game pieces and create fleets just for fun. Also check out Miniature Reviews of game pieces you have to inspire their usage!

-Use the Return to Savage Shores game pieces by using proxies. This post contains links to all of the RtSS flashbacks.

-500 point games - these are huge games that take a while but are quite fun. I've played 3, including one as the Defence of St. Helens scenario, but the first one was the best.

-300 point games pitting a fleet of huge ships against a fleet of small and tiny ships. The third paragraph of this post gives a brief insight into my experience with this idea.

-100 point deathmatches (when you're looking for a bloody battle without gold)

-Regular 40 point games. What I like to do is have a 3-game series between the fleets to determine which one is better. Sometimes I do a tournament with at least four fleets, and one time I did eight.

-Make fleets using ONLY game pieces that you've never used before. This will open your eyes to some ships and crew that are overlooked and underrated, not to mention that it's actually fun to change things up and stop using your HMS Titan and La Monarca.

-Vary the playing area. Use a bigger table/floor space than you usually do, or confine the game to a very small space.

-Keen eyes in the fog (Ritterton)

-Wind Rules v1.1 (LionFish42)

-Simultaneous movement and phased turns (Lufbery)

I had a flurry of ideas once I heard about and played Water World. This is what I wrote down; I may expand upon it or explain myself better in the future:
-Fog home islands (HI’s move around, combine with HI raiding)
-One HI for all fleets (+ one HI for all fleets but with islands that have multiple beaches (inspired by rossinaz's islands))
-Sea is entirely made of terrain - no open ocean (maybe with icebergs)
-Every ship automatically has the HI raiding ability (maybe with one HI for all fleets, fog HI’s)
-All gold starts on HI’s, players rob each other (probably have every ship get the HI raiding ability)

Last edited by a7xfanben on Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:18 pm; edited 29 times in total
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:48 am Reply with quote

I'd actually forgotten about the campaign I'd designed; nice to see it on the list.
cannonfury
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:41 am Reply with quote

Not to be promoting my ideas too much or anything, but might you include the variation on the rules I made?

http://www.miniaturetrading.com/im/forum/viewtopic/t=8476///
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:49 am Reply with quote

cannonfury wrote:
Not to be promoting my ideas too much or anything, but might you include the variation on the rules I made?

http://www.miniaturetrading.com/im/forum/viewtopic/t=8476///

With all of the resources and threads out there I'm not surprised that I forgot some things. I've added the link under Variant Rulesets.
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:26 am Reply with quote

Here's another idea:
Bad Fleets - Build the absolute worst fleet you can imagine. You must include 1 Captain crew, and have at least 2 open cargo spaces. After home islands are chosen, your fleet is passed either to the right or the left (randomly decide).
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:39 am Reply with quote

captain_vendari wrote:
Here's another idea:
Bad Fleets - Build the absolute worst fleet you can imagine. You must include 1 Captain crew, and have at least 2 open cargo spaces. After home islands are chosen, your fleet is passed either to the right or the left (randomly decide).

I haven't done that yet. It's listed as the last option under Cadet-Captain Mike's setup tables.
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:38 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
captain_vendari wrote:
Here's another idea:

I haven't done that yet. It's listed as the last option under Cadet-Captain Mike's setup tables.

Oh. So it is. But I've done something like that once; had junk like the Maman Brigette (though in a fleet like this, she might actually be one of the better ships) and Jikininki thrown my way. It was crazy.
lord_denton
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:34 am Reply with quote

A7xfanben has requested that this thread be unlocked, and so it shall be! Smile

P.S. This is some slick organization A7. All of these compilations are appreciated. It gets me excited about both past stuff and the potential for the future.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:11 am Reply with quote

lord_denton wrote:
It gets me excited about both past stuff and the potential for the future.

Very Happy Yes indeed!

How ironic is it that cannonfury had to remind me to put his "custom ruleset" in the original post! It's not like it became the biggest documented game in the history of Pirates CSG or anything! Shocked Laughing Very Happy Now the venerable Economy Edition gets vaulted to the top of the list for Campaign Games! Very Happy

With that long-overdue recognition out of the way, here are some more that I'll add to the original post as well:

-Water World (brettb45)

I had a flurry of ideas once I heard about and played Water World. This is what I wrote down; I may expand upon it or explain myself better in the future:
-Fog home islands (HI’s move around, combine with HI raiding)
-One HI for all fleets (+ one HI for all fleets but with islands that have multiple beaches (inspired by rossinaz's islands))
-Sea is entirely made of terrain - no open ocean (maybe with icebergs)
-Every ship automatically has the HI raiding ability (maybe with one HI for all fleets, fog HI’s)
-All gold starts on HI’s, players rob each other (probably have every ship get the HI raiding ability)

This really is one of my all-time favorite threads. With the amount of stuff here, you really can't get bored! Very Happy

Obviously I've worked my way through some of this list, but there's still a TON of stuff left to do! How great is that? (Not to mention future things we can add)

This game is just that, a GAME meant to be PLAYED. Hopefully this can always serve as a reference and source of inspiration for all those interested in Pirates CSG.

I want to edit this again very soon, with links and updates and whatnot. I might make another post detailing what they are when I do so. Also, for now I just put the new stuff at the bottom.

(Again, anything new or that I've forgotten, just post and I'll add it!)
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote

I'm about to add the below item, and I still need to edit the main post further.

ARMADA

(I haven't really looked at this yet.)
godmason
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote

Dunno if it's the right place to post it, but one idea I had was to put a single island or small cluster of islands in the very center of the field of play, surround it with a ring of terrain, and place >100 gold worth of coins on the island. Even better, make it a mysterious island, and enjoy watching ships take rolls when they try to raid it. Place a fort or flotillas around it, make it dangerous to reach.

Ideally, it'd be surrounded with a solid layer of reefs and sargasso seas, or two layers of fog banks. There would be one or two narrow inlets, or a whirpool to make a risky, but guaranteed entrance. I see this at its most entertaining with 4+ players.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote

godmason wrote:
Dunno if it's the right place to post it, but one idea I had was to put a single island or small cluster of islands in the very center of the field of play, surround it with a ring of terrain, and place >100 gold worth of coins on the island. Even better, make it a mysterious island, and enjoy watching ships take rolls when they try to raid it. Place a fort or flotillas around it, make it dangerous to reach.

Ideally, it'd be surrounded with a solid layer of reefs and sargasso seas, or two layers of fog banks. There would be one or two narrow inlets, or a whirpool to make a risky, but guaranteed entrance. I see this at its most entertaining with 4+ players.

Indeed, very interesting idea. You might be interested in a similar setup I used in a smaller game I played last October for the 10th anniversary of the release of Barbary Coast. I'll add a link to your post in my first post.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Circle of Blood   PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote

Circle of Blood: (Riz)
Riz wrote:
Players design 100 pt fleets, mixed nations allowed. The privateer for the battle sets up islands in a pattern along the lines of this…

Link to photo album with pictures detailing the setup. (Black - wild islands, Orange - wild islands (with optional forts defending the gold), Green - terrain, White - neutral sea creatures, Yellow - Player 1, Red - Player 2)

Riz wrote:
Now for the good stuff. Place 4 randomly selected gold coins, and 1 randomly grabbed UT on each island. No one has a home island at this time. The first island each player explores will become their new home island; all gold on that island is automatically theirs, as is the UT, apply the UT effect if applicable.

After both players take a turn, then the creatures get a turn. Each time the creatures get a turn, roll a d6 for each creature still alive, compare this number to a fog bank in play, the creature will move its full move in the direction rolled. If it encounters an island, iceberg, reef, or Sargasso Sea, it will stop moving until its next turn (ignore fogbanks for creature movement). At the beginning of a creatures turn, if ANY ship is within any attack range for the creature (this is checked before movement), instead of moving it will attack that ship (or the closest ship if more than one is in range). It will continue to attack this ship until either; 1 it is out of range, 2 it is destroyed, or 3 another ship moves closer.

Since the gold is a randomly selected amount, there is no "half way" rule for ending the game, it will continue until there is no gold left, or only one player remains (this puts HI raiders at a premium). Another variant we do here is throw four NPC forts out on the islands marked in orange.

These forts will fire under any of the following conditions; a ship of a non-matching faction moves into range or ANY ship attempts to dock at the island. The forts will fight until destroyed, and defend their gold and UT at all costs.

(Black - wild islands, Orange - wild islands (with optional forts defending the gold), Green - terrain, White - neutral sea creatures, Yellow - Player 1, Red - Player 2)

This is a very fun scenario that would work with more than 2 players. In fact, the more players, the more fun it would get I imagine. For an idea of how the game plays out, here is a Battle Report.

Last edited by a7xfanben on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:50 am; edited 2 times in total
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Changes   PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:58 pm Reply with quote

I've added some things to make the original post better. I added xerecs' battle reports for both CotE and his current Economy game. I made a post (just above this one) detailing Riz's Circle of Blood scenario, since his site is gone. I've added the other custom sets that I know of. I also moved the Water World scenario and godmason's latest idea to the Scenarios section. I also added a bunch of random stuff from BGG that I haven't really looked at before. At this point there are a ton of interesting ideas in this thread, so I'd encourage you to check them out!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Race setup   PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: