main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Multiplayer Setups
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
captain_vendari
Avatar for captain_vendari
Guru
Guru


Joined: 13 Jun 2013
Posts: 564

Subject: Multiplayer Setups   PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote

I was wondering how some of you set up for games with 3+ players?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cannonfury

Canceled user





Subject: Re: Multiplayer Setups   PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote

captain_vendari wrote:
I was wondering how some of you set up for games with 3+ players?



It depends on the playing surface for us really. My group is made up of my two brothers and I, with both of them being younger and generally less experienced. We play on an air hockey table, so the rectangular shape means that someone is usually stuck in the middle of the table, which is usually a disadvantage as you are pancaked between two enemies.

Occasionally when we get four players, we set up HI in opposite corners of the table. The way our table is painted also allows us to have "water depth", as there are deep blue, light blue, and white areas painted on the table. We have it so that only 2 mast ships and down can travel through the white "shallows", and since there is a big chunk of white area at the edges of the table, it prevents big warships from immediately attacking and allows for a longer and safer early game.
Back to top
codyscheer

Canceled user





Subject: Re: Multiplayer Setups   PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote

cannonfury wrote:
The way our table is painted also allows us to have "water depth", as there are deep blue, light blue, and white areas painted on the table. We have it so that only 2 mast ships and down can travel through the white "shallows", and since there is a big chunk of white area at the edges of the table, it prevents big warships from immediately attacking and allows for a longer and safer early game.


That sounds incredibly intriguing cannonfury. I would love to see a picture if you have one! My group is quite fond of house rules that make the game more complicated than it should be/was designed to be (economy, rolling fogbanks, multiplying glaciers, and pretty much anything else to do with terrain that makes it more likely that your ships will get lost/sunk).
Back to top
volt
Avatar for volt
Guru
Guru


Joined: 03 Apr 2011
Posts: 713

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote

We actually play almost exclusively multiplayer games. Though my group doesn't play as often, we have had as high as 8 player games (that last for almost as many hours lol)

With 3 or 4 players we don't do anything real special. More than 4 though we have found you need to make a perfectly symmetric board or someone gets screwed and is not happy when he has to wait 4 hours to play again after getting destroyed early. We usually make the board and assign numbers to the home islands, then we roll to see who gets which home island.

We love to add weird scenarios as well, because it makes those big games even more crazy. We actually used the "Shallow Water" thing you did too with the exact same rule... except we used cut out pieces of construction paper. It was a fun game. Other things we have done are the turtle islands, volcano islands, islands with dinosaurs, the random pop up sea monster scenario, the "Second Sea" where all the treasure is and you have to go through a whirlpool to enter, Santa Claus giving gold/coal and the Golden Goose. Many of these are modifications of Captain Cadet Mike's scenarios: http://www.cke1st.com/Games/Scenarios.htm
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cannonfury

Canceled user





Subject: Re: Multiplayer Setups   PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:30 am Reply with quote

codyscheer wrote:
cannonfury wrote:
The way our table is painted also allows us to have "water depth", as there are deep blue, light blue, and white areas painted on the table. We have it so that only 2 mast ships and down can travel through the white "shallows", and since there is a big chunk of white area at the edges of the table, it prevents big warships from immediately attacking and allows for a longer and safer early game.


That sounds incredibly intriguing cannonfury. I would love to see a picture if you have one! My group is quite fond of house rules that make the game more complicated than it should be/was designed to be (economy, rolling fogbanks, multiplying glaciers, and pretty much anything else to do with terrain that makes it more likely that your ships will get lost/sunk).



As a matter of fact, I do. Some of the "aerial views are fuzzy, but the close up shots come out nice enough. I think one of these games was from the economy version I posted a while back (the one with a bunch of tiny dice on the islands), and the other was from a standard one.





Back to top
a7xfanben
Avatar for a7xfanben
Guru
Guru


Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 5445

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote

Love the pics. That last one looks especially chaotic.

For 3 and 4 player games I don't usually do anything too different. It is fun to experiment with the home island placement, such as putting all 4 (for example) in the middle of the sea, or setting up all 4 in a row and then having a line of wild islands all going in one direction. For the latter setup it's a race to see who gets to the furthest islands first, and then there's always chaos on the way back. Usually the game ends before anyone can go back out again, if there's any gold left.

Sometimes when I play with at least 4 fleets I do big scenarios/cumulative games. When I do battle reports for these bigger games I always describe the setup and layout in detail, with pictures for the Century of the Empires game.

codyscheer wrote:
...multiplying glaciers...


How does this work? I'm also interested in how to make terrain more relevant.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
captain_vendari
Avatar for captain_vendari
Guru
Guru


Joined: 13 Jun 2013
Posts: 564

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
I'm also interested in how to make terrain more relevant.


Really, you just need to use a lot of it. I've found that for a standard game, each player should include about 6-8 terrain pieces. The board fills up really well like that. Plus, while going around is a simple matter, it does increase the time it takes to get to the islands because you have to weave in and out or risk something happening to your ship.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lord_denton
Avatar for lord_denton
Guru
Guru


Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Posts: 1496

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:14 am Reply with quote

Cannonfury - As an FYI I think you might have some sort of "Depth of Field" or "Macro" effect on your camera, because some objects are coming up clear (like the ships in the background of the second picture) while others are blurry (the ships in the foreground of the second picture). It could just be the camera but maybe you have some setting turned on or the lens is dirty. Assuming you'd like it to be less blurry - it's kind of cool in a way. Smile

As far as terrain, I'm finding that simply using it can be enough, instead of just skipping it entirely like one might be tempted to do. They can block routes and affect moves more often than one might think. Though I might have mine closer to the islands and other terrain than they are supposed to be, according to the rules sheet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
a7xfanben
Avatar for a7xfanben
Guru
Guru


Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 5445

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote

captain_vendari wrote:
Really, you just need to use a lot of it. I've found that for a standard game, each player should include about 6-8 terrain pieces. The board fills up really well like that. Plus, while going around is a simple matter, it does increase the time it takes to get to the islands because you have to weave in and out or risk something happening to your ship.


Indeed; I've done that before, I was looking for ways to utilize terrain other than the usual solution of simply putting a ton of it out there. Sometimes it can be fun to make it IMPOSSIBLE to go around, by surrounding an island with terrain. In past games I've made a ring of fog banks around an island with the dice icons lined up so that a ship can sail in a circle if she gets unfortunate die rolls! Laughing

Here is a post from an old battle report on Pojo detailing the time I used a ton of terrain, stringing it together to form huge obstacles and surrounding islands with it. I remember that it was a very good game, and the terrain did play a bigger role than usual, but still perhaps not as much as one would think. Sometime I'd like to edit those old reports and make more paragraph breaks so they're easier to read.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
codyscheer

Canceled user





Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:

codyscheer wrote:
...multiplying glaciers...


How does this work? I'm also interested in how to make terrain more relevant.


With our icebergs, we make sure to add as much chaos in as possible. If an iceberg strikes an island, or various other terrain pieces (reef, whirlpool maybe?) rather than halting and stopping all future movement, the iceberg splits producing 2 icebergs which can then move independently. If two icebergs collide, one of the following two things happens. The two bergs freeze together and move as one mass on either of the two numbers given for them. This is a suitably giant wall of death to avoid with your ships. The other option is the same as when an iceberg collides with another piece of terrain. Except BOTH icebergs split, so 4 bergs escape the collision and generally stray off in every direction. Its great fun!

Fog banks move around just like icebergs do. At the beginning of a game, fog banks are assigned a number which must be rolled on a player's turn in order for it to move. When activated, fog banks are moved S in a direction determined by the roll of a GW scatter die (we also use scatter dice for determining where a ship comes out of a fog bank, and for iceberg movement, we feel its a little more random and fun!). If the fog bank rolls over your ship, you are now, obviously, lost in the fog bank. Enemy ships lost in a fog bank can shoot at each other and hit on 6's, with all cannons. Typing it out, it seems pretty brutal to use all cannons (especially if you have a 10 master in the fog...) but it hasn't happened too many times so we haven't refined it. If a fog bank rolls onto an island, docking is considered hazardous. On the roll of 1-4, 1 mast is lost upon docking. A derelict ship in a fog bank is lost until: A. The fogbank moves away from the derelict naturally or B. A friendly ship in the fog bank uses an explore action and rolls a 3+ to tow it out.

We also do away with whirlpool teleportation. Basically, they drag you in, break off masts, and either boost or hinder your movement based on the direction you are moving (to simulate a slingshot effect).
Back to top
captain_vendari
Avatar for captain_vendari
Guru
Guru


Joined: 13 Jun 2013
Posts: 564

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote

codyscheer wrote:
a7xfanben wrote:

codyscheer wrote:
...multiplying glaciers...


How does this work? I'm also interested in how to make terrain more relevant.


With our icebergs, we make sure to add as much chaos in as possible. If an iceberg strikes an island, or various other terrain pieces (reef, whirlpool maybe?) rather than halting and stopping all future movement, the iceberg splits producing 2 icebergs which can then move independently. If two icebergs collide, one of the following two things happens. The two bergs freeze together and move as one mass on either of the two numbers given for them. This is a suitably giant wall of death to avoid with your ships. The other option is the same as when an iceberg collides with another piece of terrain. Except BOTH icebergs split, so 4 bergs escape the collision and generally stray off in every direction. Its great fun!

Fog banks move around just like icebergs do. At the beginning of a game, fog banks are assigned a number which must be rolled on a player's turn in order for it to move. When activated, fog banks are moved S in a direction determined by the roll of a GW scatter die (we also use scatter dice for determining where a ship comes out of a fog bank, and for iceberg movement, we feel its a little more random and fun!). If the fog bank rolls over your ship, you are now, obviously, lost in the fog bank. Enemy ships lost in a fog bank can shoot at each other and hit on 6's, with all cannons. Typing it out, it seems pretty brutal to use all cannons (especially if you have a 10 master in the fog...) but it hasn't happened too many times so we haven't refined it. If a fog bank rolls onto an island, docking is considered hazardous. On the roll of 1-4, 1 mast is lost upon docking. A derelict ship in a fog bank is lost until: A. The fogbank moves away from the derelict naturally or B. A friendly ship in the fog bank uses an explore action and rolls a 3+ to tow it out.

We also do away with whirlpool teleportation. Basically, they drag you in, break off masts, and either boost or hinder your movement based on the direction you are moving (to simulate a slingshot effect).


I really like the idea of finding lost derelicts in the fog. I might have to generate a standard for adding lost derelicts to a custom game. Maybe each player could provide a ship and crew totaling up to 12 or 15 points? They would be built with no masts and randomly placed inside fogbanks to find. Better yet, assign each one a treasure coin and to be placed face-down on the fogbanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
codyscheer

Canceled user





Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote

captain_vendari wrote:

I really like the idea of finding lost derelicts in the fog. I might have to generate a standard for adding lost derelicts to a custom game. Maybe each player could provide a ship and crew totaling up to 12 or 15 points? They would be built with no masts and randomly placed inside fogbanks to find. Better yet, assign each one a treasure coin and to be placed face-down on the fogbanks.


That is a really great idea, might have to steal it! Smile Random low cost crew members (oarsmen, helmsmen, explorers) stranded on islands would also be a neat addition!
Back to top
captain_vendari
Avatar for captain_vendari
Guru
Guru


Joined: 13 Jun 2013
Posts: 564

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote

codyscheer wrote:
captain_vendari wrote:

I really like the idea of finding lost derelicts in the fog. I might have to generate a standard for adding lost derelicts to a custom game. Maybe each player could provide a ship and crew totaling up to 12 or 15 points? They would be built with no masts and randomly placed inside fogbanks to find. Better yet, assign each one a treasure coin and to be placed face-down on the fogbanks.


That is a really great idea, might have to steal it! Smile Random low cost crew members (oarsmen, helmsmen, explorers) stranded on islands would also be a neat addition!


They have stranded crew already Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
a7xfanben
Avatar for a7xfanben
Guru
Guru


Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 5445

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote

All of those ideas sound great, thanks a lot! I'll have to try them sometime. I also saw the idea for a sandbar on captain_vendari's site.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
captain_vendari
Avatar for captain_vendari
Guru
Guru


Joined: 13 Jun 2013
Posts: 564

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:11 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
All of those ideas sound great, thanks a lot! I'll have to try them sometime. I also saw the idea for a sandbar on captain_vendari's site.


After re-reading, I've realized that Sandbar is basically Sargasso Sea for bigger ships (a safer alternative to reefs).

You might also try using my "Shipwreck Graveyard" rules. Instead of (or in addition to) islands, you have shipwrecks on Reefs (this way ships HAVE to sail over them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.11 © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
[Total forum time spent: 0.0874 seconds]


search for a miniature | miniatures you have | miniatures you want | look for trades
your messages | references | miniature reviews | forums
affiliates | links | advertise with us | help



Search:  

dish network west haven connecticut
Functional Medicine