main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

wholesale from china through DHgate

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Return to Savage Shores -- FLEET CHALLENGE!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject: Return to Savage Shores -- FLEET CHALLENGE!   PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote

You've seen all the flashbacks of what would have been in Return to Savage Shores - now it's time to use them!

The Challenge:
Design a fleet for a Standard 40-point Game using items from the RSS Flashbacks.

Rules:
-Each fleet must contain at least two items from RSS, but the more the merrier.
-One fleet per person, at least to start. If only a few people enter I may allow everyone to make a second fleet.
-Single-nation fleets are not mandatory, but they are highly encouraged.
-All standard game rules are in effect, with the following exceptions:
* No Events
* No Mysterious Islands

Notes on Scoring and Such:
-Judging will be entirely subjective by me, but if there are two or three fleets that really stand out above the rest I might put those to a community vote.
-Creativity, particularly in the way the RSS items are used, will be weighted higher than brutal efficiency, but a little of both doesn't hurt.
-"Cheesy" old stand-by tactics and combos (you know what they are) will likely be judged lower, despite how effective they may be in an actual game.

Other Technical Stuff:
-Since none of the RSS items are in the database, you'll have to use existing items as proxies. Choose a similar ship/crew/etc. with the same nationality and point cost, and in your fleet description list exactly which RSS item will replace it. Also be sure to list the stats of all RSS items you use so readers won't have to dig for them. Links to all of the items are below.
-Please include "RSS" or some other obvious reference to the set in your title so it's easy to determine which fleets are part of this contest.
-Please do not put your username in the fleet's title because it's completely redundant. Your name is already listed right next to it in the "author" box.
-It's okay if multiple people use the same items but try to avoid too much duplication, especially if several fleets have already been posted when you start making yours.
-Edits after posting are okay if there are rules issues or other serious problems, but try to avoid any drastic changes.

Prizes:
-Bragging Rights
-The opportunity to create the next fleet challenge
-I'll dig through my extras to see if there's anything in your want list (but no promises)

The deadline for posting will be the end of this month (July 31).
If there's a lot of activity in the final few days or someone requests an extension that may be pushed back a few days.

Links to all of the RSS items:
Flashback #1 - Intro (English & American)
Flashback #2 - French
Flashback #3 - Cursed
Flashback #4 - Pirate
Flashback #5 - English
Flashback #6 - American
Flashback #7 - Spanish
Flashback #8 - Unique Treasures
Flashback #9 - Super Rares - French & UT
Flashback #10 - Canoes - French, Pirate, & English
Flashback #11 - Special Edition - English, Pirate, & Cursed
Flashback #12 - Special Edition - French, American, & Spanish
Flashback #13 - 10-Masters - Mercenary (American/Spanish)
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote

Hate to ask this, but can we use 0LR +5's?
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote

Nah you have to ask that, heh.

I will be entering, just not for a week or so... off on vaca for awhile!
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
Hate to ask this, but can we use 0LR +5's?
They aren't in the "no" list, so you can use them.

Of course, there's also that line about cheesy setups, so be careful how you use them... Wink
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote

I'd like to enter but I don't have any of the ships. Could I design one in theory?
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote

zerotheta wrote:
I'd like to enter but I don't have any of the ships. Could I design one in theory?
No one has any of the RtSS ships since they were never produced. That's the whole point of this challenge. Wink

Even if they were available, actually owning a ship has never been a requirement for using it in a fleet challenge.

Feel free to make a 100% theoretical "dream" fleet. Smile
Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
zerotheta wrote:
No one has any of the RtSS ships since they were never produced.

Feel free to make a 100% theoretical "dream" fleet. Smile

Really?! I thought there was a set. I must read more. But neat I'm on it
lordstu

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote

Just a "411" for everyone, I have my second fleet in the box and ready to go when woelf gives the word - there is some great pieces in the RtSS set, so it would be a real shame if I use the one you all may be thinking of as part of my second entry...
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote

With a week to go and only three entries in so far, I'm opening up the floodgates.

As of right now, everyone is allowed a second entry.

If anyone else is still interested in entering but you don't think you'll be able to get to it by this time next week, just post here saying so and I'll bump back the deadline to give you some more room.
lordstu

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
As of right now, everyone is allowed a second entry.

Oh no! Now I've go to decide which of the two secondary fleets I made to officially enter.

One's a "super-cheese" fleet that I know won't have a chance, while the other has a well-thought out strategy based on the most suitable ships at hand - the problem is, I like the first one better! Confused
lord_denton
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote

woelf wrote:

If anyone else is still interested in entering but you don't think you'll be able to get to it by this time next week, just post here saying so and I'll bump back the deadline to give you some more room.

I'm definitely interested (of course; I'm always trying to fit challenges into my schedule), but I don't know if I'll be able to get to it... I hope to, but I also see that lordstu is dominating the market on second entries, and I was thinking about trying to prod along users that don't normally participate in the fleets section into doing so, so an extension for everyone's benefit might be nice. I've had a successful day of moderating tasks today that cleared my work plate a little, so we'll see, but be prepared for a possible request from your friendly neighborhood moderator. Razz
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote

lord_denton wrote:
woelf wrote:

I'm definitely interested (of course; I'm always trying to fit challenges into my schedule), but I don't know if I'll be able to get to it... I hope to, but I also see that lordstu is dominating the market on second entries, and I was thinking about trying to prod along users that don't normally participate in the fleets section into doing so, so an extension for everyone's benefit might be nice. I've had a successful day of moderating tasks today that cleared my work plate a little, so we'll see, but be prepared for a possible request from your friendly neighborhood moderator. Razz
Well, why don't we push it back until at least this weekend so you've got the rest of the week to work on it.
lord_denton
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote

Great, now things will (hopefully) work out, thanks a lot for your patience. Smile
lord_denton
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote

I'm still going to throw my hat into the ring, it might come a bit late, but it'll come. Smile
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote

lord_denton wrote:
I'm still going to throw my hat into the ring, it might come a bit late, but it'll come. Smile
Any guess on when? I have no problem with pushing the deadline back further - just so it doesn't take several weeks. Wink
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: