main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
VASSAL module
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
czamora

Canceled user

Subject: VASSAL module   PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote

Hey guys, I've been lurking around here for a while (not much to add to the discussion), mostly getting ideas for things to try when I'm playing the game with my son. Anyway, a year ago I had to go on a long term assignment in another city, and I wanted a way to keep playing with him. There was an existing VASSAL http://www.vassalengine.org module that was written in French, but it was in bad shape. So, I came up with my own version. All the graphics in it were done by myself in Inkscape and GIMP.

Since you guys are the experts on this game, I wanted to get your opinions. Here's the link to the module: http://bj-o23.deviantart.com/art/Pirates-of-the-Spanish-Main-190387382
robert152
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote

I am by no means an expert. But this looks really cool. I downloaded Vassal and your module. Looks really clean. Will look forward to playing a game on it. Will post results when I do.
rizz
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote

Also no expert, but I have been wanting a way to play against a friend in Arizona for a couple years, I think we will have to try it out.
dakmor
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote

neato. im unfamiliar with VASSAL though.

too bad that SOE online version of the game was taken down and will not be sold as a standalone game. that could have made a nice chunk if they werent uber greedy about it being user fees for virtual ships ...
rizz
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote

Heck if they hadn't changed he same price for a virtual pack as they did for a real pack, it may have had more players too. I know of a lot of people who weren't willing to pay that much for ships they couldn't hold in their hands (I was one of em).
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote

I've never used Vassal before either, but this looks like it might be a good excuse to finally try it. That promo/screenshot looks great!

dakmor wrote:

too bad that SOE online version of the game was taken down and will not be sold as a standalone game. that could have made a nice chunk if they werent uber greedy about it being user fees for virtual ships ...
The Sony version is supposed to still be available until the end of January - although it sounds like they cut off any new purchases so you're stuck with whatever you have already.
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. Very Happy The ships showing in that pic are all the hull types currently available, but I am slowly working through the rest. I already have a turtle ship and 2-mast junk done and ready to go. Aside from that, please let me know if there's anything you think is missing from the module. I've tried to account for most situations, but considering how few times I've been able to play the game, it's easy to miss something.
rizz
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote

Aside from Junks and Turtles, which you already mentioned, I do not see...

Longships, Sea Serpents, Kraken, Octopus, Sea Dragons, Scorpion Ships, Bombardiers, Turbines, Flotillas, Switchblades, Hoists, and Canoes.

Since I haven't used this setup yet, I am not sure how easy to add them they are, but I will tweak with it after I get around to it also.
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:11 am Reply with quote

Ya missed submarines & a few others. Razz Seriously, this thread was an invaluable resource.

This image shows what hulls I'm planning on finishing:

The ones that aren't shown are mostly the mega/special ships.
rizz
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:28 am Reply with quote

Looks good so far. I will definitely try this thing out and see how it goes.
dakmor
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:45 am Reply with quote

wow, non 2 dimensional sharks?! MUST PLAY!

since i cant seem to acquire or find decent trades, i might as well play this for a bit.

i was curious, will you be trying to implement the design of every ship or just use a generic graphic coloring for different players to keep it simple?

catamarans(double), those longer than 5 master 3 mast boats...
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote

If by every ship you mean every different *named* ship, then no, just one graphic for each hull type. While I would have liked to have used some sort of color overlay for each player, that's not quite possible with VASSAL right now. (At least, not the way I would like to use it.) However, to make each player's ships easily identifiable, you can select your ships and press CTRL+] to switch the color of the ships' names to one of several different colors. That, and the tiny flags on the back do change to match the faction defined in the properties. Here's an example with the two newest ships:
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote

bj_o wrote:
If by every ship you mean every different *named* ship, then no, just one graphic for each hull type. While I would have liked to have used some sort of color overlay for each player, that's not quite possible with VASSAL right now. (At least, not the way I would like to use it.) However, to make each player's ships easily identifiable, you can select your ships and press CTRL+] to switch the color of the ships' names to one of several different colors. That, and the tiny flags on the back do change to match the faction defined in the properties. Here's an example with the two newest ships:
Switching the text color and flags should be more than enough to tell ships apart - actually changing the deckplates to match the specific ship would take far more effort than it's worth.

-------------------

One little minor thing I just noticed in this latest picture - the Turtle Ships shouldn't have a pointed bow. The "correct" way to assemble the models is actually with the pointed parts going toward the flag so it has flat front.

It's inconsistent within the gallery pictures here at MT, but even the old Wizkids gallery had several of them backwards.

Correct (Alligator):

Incorrect (Crypt):
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote

^ Interesting! I don't have any turtle ships in my small collection, so I wouldn't have known. I just did an image search ("junk turtle ship") and it looks like most of them also had a dragon head on the flat bow, which I might try to incorporate. Apparently that dragon head could launch cannon fire or flames from the mouth.

You know, I'd never even heard of turtle ships before this game. Learn something new every day!
dakmor
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote

>.>' now i have to take apart 4 boats...

so what do we need to play this game on our computers with this "patch" you're making bj_o?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: