main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
New to the game.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Axis & Allies Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
czamora

Canceled user

Subject: New to the game.   PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:33 am Reply with quote

Hello, recently i was at the Origins game fair and in the welcome pack there was an A&A starter set and it looks like a good game from what i saw and have heard in the past. there are a few things im unsure about.
1) Cover - if you roll a successful cover roll what happens?
2) Facing - does your unit/vehicle use MP's to turn facing and does it have to face at a vertices or side or both?
3) Hits - When a unit takes hits and the next assault phase takes more hits do you just add more counters starting with disrupted? ie if a vehicle had a disrupted counter and a damage counter and then next assault phase only takes one hit you put a disrupted counter on it in addition to the one already on it (which will be removed in the next phase) and it is then still just disrupted and damaged only once?
czamora

Canceled user

Subject: Re: New to the game.   PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote

irishbandit89 wrote:
Hello, recently i was at the Origins game fair and in the welcome pack there was an A&A starter set and it looks like a good game from what i saw and have heard in the past. there are a few things im unsure about.
1) Cover - if you roll a successful cover roll what happens?
2) Facing - does your unit/vehicle use MP's to turn facing and does it have to face at a vertices or side or both?
3) Hits - When a unit takes hits and the next assault phase takes more hits do you just add more counters starting with disrupted? ie if a vehicle had a disrupted counter and a damage counter and then next assault phase only takes one hit you put a disrupted counter on it in addition to the one already on it (which will be removed in the next phase) and it is then still just disrupted and damaged only once?

1] If your roll is good, then the worse you may suffer is disruption, some play with lethal cover tho...

2] You determine the facing of the vehicle when you end movement, you must face a side...facing is only for vehicles

3] yes, that is correct... For example, if your tank is hit once at the end of the turn the counter is turned face up...it now sufferes from the effects of being disrupted, the next hit re-disrupts it ...a subsequent hit will damage it and so on...at the end of the turn, any face up disrupted counters are removed...damage counters are never removed

3 hits in one round will destroy a vehicle...or 2 rounds with 2 hits in each will destroy a vehicle as well...the turns do not need to be consecutive

I hope I have not confused you any further Smile
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote

That did not confuse me at all! Thank you very much! Very Happy
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote

Anytime Smile I have only recently started playing again after a break for about a year and getting the rules under your belt takes a bit of work Smile
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:30 am Reply with quote

haha, yeah thats how it was for pirates. i was away at school and never had time to play until a game fair this summer.

Oh i also did have another question. since i am new and am not entirely sure what all the sets contain which would you recommend getting? along with the 4 free starter sets (land stuff)i got at the convention, i recently purchased 1 north africa booster. so my collection, along with being very small, is lacking in UK and USSR infantry. i guess you could say my strategy for play is have a balance of armor and infantry with artillery. any suggestions or tips?
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote

Thats a toughie:It's tough to build good armies to play with when you dont have the minis.

If you are looking for some infantry units, you can buy a few 39-45 boosters as a good place to start but you may not get much of the specific units you will want: Mosin-Nagants, Commisars, SMLE riflemen etc...you can try to purchase some online, there are lots of stores...miniaturemarket, strikezoneonline, 12-7 games, toad and troll etc, this may be your best option as you dont have much to trade.

EBay is another option but dont just buy a load of auctions, check out some online retailers for an idea of the value of the pieces, you may end up overpaying for a load of minis and half you will never use.

were there some nations in particular you wanted to build armys for, I can give you an idea of some pieces you will want Smile
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:54 pm Reply with quote

Basically i have 4 of everything from the starter set, 4 shermans, m1 garands, panzer 3...and so on. In the NA booster i got a better Panzer 3, the veteran aufsh L with the 50 mm gun, a german half track, british m3 stewart, sten smg and a german 7.5cm lel g18 artillary gun.

i am mainly looking to increase the amount of pieces for my russian, british, and german. wouldnt mind getting more USA stuff.
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote

Miniaturemarket has cases of 39-45 for about $90 inc shipping. I havent purchased from them myself but I know a few people who have and all said they were excellent. The North Africa set is excellent but the 39-45 set has more of the base pieces you need.

the NA booster you bought had all good pieces in it , they are all pieces you'll use regularly. you have a decent amount of Mausers and garands with a couple of commanders.
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:51 pm Reply with quote

Alrighty, i will definitely check that out! Thanks again.
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:51 am Reply with quote

You are welcome, if you find there are pieces you cant find or the prices are high, I can see what extras I have when I get back from vacation:)
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:40 am Reply with quote

i just got some boosters today with the eastern front map pack, which i hear is out of print(?) One of the prized pieces i got was a King Tiger. I made 2 armies of Germans and Americans, so any advice on how to use them or change/alter them would be most welcome.

also one question about aircraft. If an airplane such as my newly acquired P-40 Tomahawk attacks german infantry on a hill would they still get to make a cover roll since they are on a hill and all? or are they considered to be on the most defensive position pending the situation?
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote

Hi, Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I have been gone on vacation...

As for your question, as far as I know the units are still in cover when attacked by planes so you still roll your cover roll as usual. If I find anything to say otherwise I'll let you know and post a link if possible Smile

As for your armies, if your would like to post what you have I can make a few suggestions Smile
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:51 am Reply with quote

No worries.

Okay for the question, thank you.

I have posted two armies in the armies section, one is titled Allied Build and the other is German Build. They are both 149 points. though i can see its a lot but i like to play on multiple maps at one time.

Most of the past few times i have played against my dad we stuck to 100 point games.
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote

I'm just heading out now, but when I get back I'll take a look and make a few suggestions Smile
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Axis & Allies Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: