The safest place to trade, buy, and sell miniatures

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Find Answers about Rules, Keywords and Other Questions Here
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
colringbk

Canceled user

Subject: Find Answers about Rules, Keywords and Other Questions Here   PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote

Here's a spot for you to find the latest information on the FAQs list as woelf keeps editioning it. Also, the latest set of rulebooks from Savage Shores is here. So, please use this thread to ask questions and to seek answers. Post all questions regarding rules, setups, or card combos here instead of individual threads. Thanks. I predict the first page will be all information.

I've made a link to the latest FAQ found on www.boardgamegeek.com.

Pirate Code

Also, the Old Pirates Questions Thread is posted here, but I'm locking it down so we can use the new thread.

woelf wrote:
Two links that are definitely worth having in this thread:

The Navigator's website:
http://web.mac.com/leonkeller/iWeb/pirates/home.html
In particular, click on "stuff" at the top and you'll find a link to a beautifully done PDF showing the "true" firing arcs of the schooner type ships. (Note that this applies only to pre-RotF schooners - the die cut was redesigned in that set to take away the overlap.)

AdmTemple's website
http://www.piratesrules.com/
It hasn't been updated in a while so some sections are outdated or obsolete, but there is still lots of good stuff here. Be sure to check out the "How much (far) can I turn?" section - you'll find most of the same text in the Pirate Code, but the image alone is still well worth the look.

Also, here are the rules to Savage Shores for those that haven't gotten SS.

Savage Shores Rulebook Front

Savage Shores Rulebook Back

Last edited by colringbk on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote

Useful Files:

The Pirate Code (FAQ/Errata)
Pirates Master Keyword List
Pirates Reference Diagrams
-----------------------------------------

Any changes or additions that are planned for the next update to the Pirate Code (FAQ) will be listed below. When an updated version is made available I'll edit this post to clear out old information in preparation for future updates (if any are required).

If anything needs additional clarifications, something should be changed, or anything else should be added, feel free to discuss it in this thread along with any other rules inquiries.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expected future updates to the January 2011 Pirate Code
(Blue text indicates additions or changes to existing text.)

None at this time.

Last edited by woelf on Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:19 pm; edited 9 times in total
cpt_jr

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote

ok i figure i might as well ask the fist question here. can a disable a ship or crew S away ability target a bombardier if it can touch its flamethrower (for lack of better words)?
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:24 am Reply with quote

cpt_jr wrote:
ok i figure i might as well ask the fist question here. can a disable a ship or crew S away ability target a bombardier if it can touch its flamethrower (for lack of better words)?
I'm not 100% sure if this is what you're asking, but hopefully this covers it...

The "flame" part of a bombardier ship's flamestrike cannon cannot be targeted by or used by any other abilities or effects, and it will not block lines of fire to or from the ship - much like the "smoke" part of a fire mast.

It's basically just a visual aid to show which type of cannon is present although it can also be used to measure range TO a target from that cannon because it is approximately S long.
cpt_jr

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote

good! someone was trying to pull that one over on me! Ok so is that the same with flags, and the water part of a sub?
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote

cpt_jr wrote:
good! someone was trying to pull that one over on me! Ok so is that the same with flags, and the water part of a sub?
Nope - flags and baseplates are considered parts of the ship. That's particularly significant to sea monsters, because losing parts will not make them (much) smaller of targets.

"Smoke" and "fire" are the only things not considered parts of a ship.
lordstu
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:52 am Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
Nope - flags and baseplates are considered parts of the ship. That's particularly significant to sea monsters, because losing parts will not make them (much) smaller of targets.

"Smoke" and "fire" are the only things not considered parts of a ship.

I've always considered it kind of "cheap" to target a ship's flag - if that's the closest a ship can get, perhaps it should do something else that turn? Confused
cpt_jr

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:51 am Reply with quote

ok, what about oars do they count too?

Also a bit out of place, but waht is the max number of actions you can give to a ship (assuming that they are non free)? Ie blackheart Davy Jones lord mycron ect?
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:30 am Reply with quote

cpt_jr wrote:
ok, what about oars do they count too?
Oars, bits of sail, flags, baseplates, etc. all count as parts of a ship and can be targeted. Of course, they can also be used as the starting point when measuring the range of a canceller or other S/L-ranged ability.
Quote:
Also a bit out of place, but waht is the max number of actions you can give to a ship (assuming that they are non free)? Ie blackheart Davy Jones lord mycron ect?
Two - it's listed in the Savage Shores rulebook under "Multiple Actions".
davejr
Expert
Expert

Subject: Navigator?   PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:08 am Reply with quote

Thinking about using a navigator in a fleet but I'm kinda fuzzy with the S.S. rules. Can someone please explain it in laymans speak?
lord_denton
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Navigator?   PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:32 am Reply with quote

davejr wrote:
Thinking about using a navigator in a fleet but I'm kinda fuzzy with the S.S. rules. Can someone please explain it in laymans speak?

What part are you confused about? Make sure you have some trade currents, Navigators are useless otherwise. You could always use a fogbank instead, though. Smile

And remember, your opponent can't use your trade currents. Very Happy
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Navigator?   PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:04 am Reply with quote

davejr wrote:

Navigator. When this ship is given a move action, instead of moving her you may roll a d6. On a result of 3-6, put a trade current within S of any friendly ship.

Once per turn (per ship) when one of your ships touches or passes over a trade current you have placed, it gets +S to its base move. This bonus applies in addition to a helmsman and any other movement bonuses the ship might have.
davejr
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:11 am Reply with quote

Ah ok. I do have plenty of current cards. Trying to give a boost to a French fleet without sacrificing cargo space on my treasure runners with helmsmans. And it's something new so I'll try it.
lordstu
Guru
Guru

Subject: Trading Treasure   PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote

posh wrote:
Say you have Neptune's Hoard, which allows you to look at a treasure on a wild island and trade it for a random treasure on another wild island.

You also have a crew in the fleet that allows you to look at a treasure on any wild island (which you've done on several turns previous.)

With Neptune Hoard's trade ability, can you trade for one that you've already peeked at? Or is that not a random treasure?

(Same question with abilities that allow you to look at treasure aboard a ship, and trade random treasure between ships.)

I have seen such trades done, shall we say, "a little less than randomly" ( Mad ), but maybe to add to the above question, what if a UT such as Maps of Alexandria or Pirate Globe has already revealed all treasure on the islands? It'd be like having a "smorgasbord" of treasures to choose from.

Traditionally, we have taken the treasures off the island selected for the trade, mixed them all up and put them facedown on the table for the trading player to randomly choose from, then returned them to their previous state along with the newly traded treasure coin. Smile

(There you go, old_man Very Happy )
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject: Re: Trading Treasure   PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote

lordstu wrote:
posh wrote:
Say you have Neptune's Hoard, which allows you to look at a treasure on a wild island and trade it for a random treasure on another wild island.

You also have a crew in the fleet that allows you to look at a treasure on any wild island (which you've done on several turns previous.)

With Neptune Hoard's trade ability, can you trade for one that you've already peeked at? Or is that not a random treasure?

Traditionally, we have taken the treasures off the island selected for the trade, mixed them all up and put them facedown on the table for the trading player to randomly choose from, then returned them to their previous state along with the newly traded treasure coin. Smile
The choice does have to be random, even if some (or all) of the coins on the island are "known" and/or are face up.

The easiest method is probably what LordStu suggested - mix them up on the table (facedown) and pick one at random. If you were using coins with different colored backs, a small draw bag or a coffee mug would work well.

Things might get a little more tricky if only some of the tokens are face up and not all have been revealed to all players, but in that case all you'd really need to do is set them out in a line in their current states (face up or facedown), assign each a number, and roll a die to see which one you get.

The only time the choice wouldn't be at least somewhat random is if there was only one coin left on the target island - then you'd have no choice but to "randomly" pick that one.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94  Next
Page 1 of 94

Jump to: