main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

TIP Maintain your whole miniature collection inventory on this site. Together with your haves, you can also manage your private miniature collection and keep everything in a single place.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Balancing Secret Missions Scenario
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
czamora

Canceled user

Subject: Balancing Secret Missions Scenario   PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote

I'm working on a new scenario for the end of February called "Secret Missions". The players will draw one of 6 "Secret Mission" cards at the start of play, and then will have 15 minutes to adjust their fleet to succeed in their mission. Players are allowed one re-draw if they do not like their first drawn mission, but will have to stay with their second draw. Wink

The missions I have so far are:
    gather 16 gold on their Home Island
    gather 5 Unique Treasures on ships in their fleet
    sink 4 ships
    destroy 10 masts
    steal at least one gold coin from each of 2 other player's Home Islands
    capture 3 opposing ships from any other player

Do you feel that these goals are balanced? If not, how would you suggest I alter them to make them more balanced?
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote

i would suggest to make the ship capturing down to two ships. this is due to the player needing to get out to the ship, derelict it, then drag it home, and do it again. movement drops to S while towing the ships, so I find that it evens the field making it only two ships to capture
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote

Eliminating 10 masts may be difficult because that is dependent on how many masts the opponents have. If you played against 2 other players, they could adjust their fleets so that their 40 points (or whatever) are only 2 or 1 mast ships. Or they may have a sea monster that never surfaces.

I'm just saying that if I did not pull the eliminate 10 masts mission, I may adjust my fleet so that the other player cannot eliminate 10 masts. Of course, in a game versus 4 or more players, this won't be an issue.

AND, steal gold from 2 HI may be too easy. I'd adjust my fleet to put in Devil Ray (MI sub) and Yeshaji Angria and hope for no ability cancellers in the way.
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote

I think that the missions are secret so they wouldn't know you had to eliminate ten masts, and I'd hope segments counted toward masts if they used sea creatures.

-gather 16 gold on their Home Island-This may be too easy or too hard if someone is putting all UTs down (if they get the UT mission that's what they'd do)...I'd say they have to bring a certain amount of gold back to their island. Like have the mission bring x amount of gold to their home island (say half)

-gather 5 Unique Treasures on ships in their fleet. If they are the only ones putting it down that'd be hard. I'd say make it 4 or 3 cause that is real specific what they need to pick up and they could be bad.

-sink 4 ships. Very reasonable, especially if four people are playing.

-destroy 10 masts-That's like sinking 3.33 three masters so compared to having to sink four ships that sounds very reasonable.

-steal at least one gold coin from each of 2 other player's Home Islands.
I'd say make it two gold from both players islands since there is a number of ships that can take one and run.

-capture 3 opposing ships from any other player. I agree make this one capture two ships since with something like the Harbinger that's a tough thing to do.

Other possible missions could be:
-Visit and explore every island.
-Burn four ships or leave two ships with fire mast at the same time.
-Gather at least 6 gold pieces through boarding
-Collect x amount of silver gold.
-Kill at least x amount of crew.

Let me just say I reallly like this idea for secret missions and might try to use it with my friends. I also believe there should be a thing on the forum or something for people to post scenarios and different game versions like this.
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:54 pm Reply with quote

Well, even if nobody knew what the other possibilities are, after a couple of games, you'll sorta know whats out there for the grabs. Its like Ticket to Ride or other similar boardgames, you can figure out what the other opponents are aiming for since you know what cards are out there (weak analogy).
lordstu

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:54 pm Reply with quote

I don't like adding too much to the game, but I like this idea! Smile

Will there be a gold bonus for fulfilling a mission, though? That might be good as a player might have to lessen their exploring ability in order to accomplish a certain task - all an opponent has to do is just play their game and win on gold. Maybe a +7 gold compensation at your HI for successful completion of a Secret Mission.

Or perhaps a player cannot end the game before their mission has been fulfilled?
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote

Back on the Wiz Kids site there was a link to a Campaign that someone thought up. It had very detailed rules about everything from building new towns to buying reinforcements. One part of the game was a whole set of mission cards. There was a whole set for each player/nation. Stuff like "English player - chase down French ship xxxxxx and sink her". It was a very interesting set-up. Anyone here remember that sight?
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote

Sorry, That would be site.
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:05 am Reply with quote

i think that may have been by a user called fishheadsoup
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote

Hey captained!
Are you doing one vs one matches or multiplayer matches?
I will think of something as soon as i know that Wink

Fede
phymatine
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
So here is one other idea I'm toying with: I could come up with a different mission for each player that they must complete to win the game. The game would go until half the players can no longer move. There is no set number of winners and losers, everyone might lose.

Here would be an example of such a game:
*****: End with the most gold - point limit 35
******: Destroy all pirate ships - point limit 50
***: Destroy more points worth of ships and crew than you use - point limit 1000, but you do not need to use all points
****: Hold 9 gold coins in your ships at the end - point limit 35
****: Eliminate two masts from each player

It wouldn't be perfectly balanced, but it would be fun. In a real game I would make each person's mission more personalized. Also, no one would know exactly what the other players were trying to do, which would add a fun element.

This might not be the one you're thinking about, but I came up with this idea in Dec. 2007
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:01 am Reply with quote

cabinboy88 wrote:
i would suggest to make the ship capturing down to two ships. this is due to the player needing to get out to the ship, derelict it, then drag it home, and do it again. movement drops to S while towing the ships, so I find that it evens the field making it only two ships to capture

Actually, all they need to do is to tow a derelict ship and it becomes "captured", so this is actually pretty easy.

Now, if they actually want to do something with the ship, they will need to tow it home (or use an ability like the El Dorado), or transfer over a shipwright.
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote

colringbk wrote:
Eliminating 10 masts may be difficult because that is dependent on how many masts the opponents have. If you played against 2 other players, they could adjust their fleets so that their 40 points (or whatever) are only 2 or 1 mast ships. Or they may have a sea monster that never surfaces.

I'm just saying that if I did not pull the eliminate 10 masts mission, I may adjust my fleet so that the other player cannot eliminate 10 masts. Of course, in a game versus 4 or more players, this won't be an issue.

AND, steal gold from 2 HI may be too easy. I'd adjust my fleet to put in Devil Ray (MI sub) and Yeshaji Angria and hope for no ability cancellers in the way.

As mentioned later, the missions are secret. You wont know what your opponent's goal is until he announces that he's won...or after you win. Very Happy

As for stealing gold, maybe make it 2 gold per island, for a total of 4?
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:27 am Reply with quote

cordoba wrote:
-gather 5 Unique Treasures on ships in their fleet. If they are the only ones putting it down that'd be hard. I'd say make it 4 or 3 cause that is real specific what they need to pick up and they could be bad.

Sure, but if they are bad UTs, that's part of the fun. The player would have to build a fleet that could survive getting hit with up to 5 UTs. Plus, I figure 5 UTs means that they have to visit at least 2 Wild Islands, of not more. If I set the mission at just 4 (or 3), they could get "lucky" and pull 4 UTs on the first island.

I like you other mission ideas. I'll have to think on them.
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:30 am Reply with quote

colringbk wrote:
Well, even if nobody knew what the other possibilities are, after a couple of games, you'll sorta know whats out there for the grabs. Its like Ticket to Ride or other similar boardgames, you can figure out what the other opponents are aiming for since you know what cards are out there (weak analogy).

Good point. But, once they missions have been played a few times, the players will start to know what to look for. And that adds another layer of complexity, because then you can build a fleet that looks like it is going for one goal, but is actually going for something different.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: