main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
SuperHomer's "The Admiral" Fleet Building Software
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
czamora

Canceled user

Subject: SuperHomer's "The Admiral" Fleet Building Software   PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote

Hello all,

Some of you may know me and "The Admiral" software from the WizKids Forums. If this includes you, please skip to the next part of this post.

For the rest of you, "The Admiral" is a free Java based program for building fleets with Pirates CSG (aka Pirates Pocketmodels). It also serves as a checklist/inventory/want list application. The original program was conceived and written by coljac. However, I have made improvements to the original program and maintained the database since "Mysterious Islands" with the help of gleritte and riz (also from the WizKids forums). The Admiral's database is extremely more accurate than the WizKids card gallery was. The current version is current through "Rise of the Fiends" but updates are coming.

===================
THIS PART IS FOR EVERYONE
===================

Due to work, life and some computer issues that I was finally able to resolve, I've been gone for quite some time. I had intended on posting an update for Fire & Steel back in June. Well now that WizKids has ceased operation, I am reminded that I must complete what I've started.

Therefore, I will be posting updates to The Admiral on or before December 31, 2008. This will be, sadly, the final update (with the exception of database corrections). The Savage Shores database will be 100% accurate out of the box. This is because I was able to collect the entire set already and will be building the database right from the cards I have. However, the Fire & Steel update may have errors that I cannot check because I do not own much of that set. Therefore, I will need the users' help to make corrections if any are needed.

To do this, I have set up a forum at my new website (address listed below) where users can log in to report errors, see if an error has already been reported or see if a correction is already available. Once an error is reported, I due my best to verify the correction. Once verified, I post a correction file to the website where everyone can get it and update their database.

Why so late in the year? Because I have taken the last two weeks of work off and that will be the only time I am sure to be able to work on it. Besides, it can be my Christmas or (insert your winter holiday here) present to the Pirates community. Smile

If you are a new user, feel free to download the current program with it's current database to play with until the final update is posted. However, I believe it would be easier for you to wait until the final version to start entering in you collection data.

The new website is http://theadmiral.homers17weeks.com

Happy Sailing and I hope to hear from some of you.
-Homer
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:17 am Reply with quote

Good to see you again!

I've been using the Admiral for quite a while now, and I really like the features that you put in.

I also understand about life getting busy, so after you left the WK forums, and no update for F&S was coming, I went ahead and made my own input file. If you want to PM me your email address (or contact me through my blog at pirates.docbrown.net), I can send you what I have. Right now, I think it's mainly missing some of the LEs, but I'm sure that the posters here can help finish the file out.

One problem I ran into, not being a programmer, was Equipment. It really needs to be added like generic crew, but also can be added to Sea Monsters (those with cargo spaces). And now with SS, Navigators need to be added to the generic crew list, which I can't do.

Also, let me know what else I can do to help. Thanks!

Captain Ed
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:18 am Reply with quote

The Admiral is the greatest ship buildling program ever. I still use it as it is, and alot point totals for RotF and F&S into the build.

Glad to see it'll get the updates!
holofernes
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quote

Welcome aboard - great to see you here!

I'll update the official Wiki page for POTSM to show your new address for the Admiral.
czamora

Canceled user

Subject: Server Error Corrected!   PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:19 pm Reply with quote

Earlier today, there was a problem with my server that would not allow download of version 1.3.7. That problem has now been corrected. If you were unable to get the file before. Please try again.

The good news is that this proves my forums to be useful as this problem was originally reported to me there. I was then able to repair it rather quickly.

-Homer
czamora

Canceled user

Subject: v1.3.9, Fire & Steel & Savage Shores Updates Now Ava   PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:31 am Reply with quote

Hi Everybody,

The final updates are finally up and ready for download. Here's a run down of what's new:

Admiral v1.3.9
===========

• Added support for "Equipment" card type which is new to the Fire & Steel set.
  • Added "Navigator" & "Silver Explorer" buttons under Generic Crew on the Fleet tab.
  • Alphabetized Generic Crew buttons on Fleet tab.
  • Incorporated Pirates of the Cursed Seas: Savage Shores data. (entered directly from cards by Homer)
  • Incorporated Pirates of the Cursed Seas: Fire & Steel data. (thanks to gleritte for the raw data)
  • Incorporated all corrections made to the database since prior release.

Here's what you need to do depending on what type of user you are:

New User or Starting Over?
====================
1> Download "The Admiral" and use it (no additional steps required)

Updating from v1.3.7 w/RotF Data?
==========================
1> Backup your "cards.db" file. Chances are you won't need it, but better to play it safe.
2> Download .zip files for v1.3.9**, Fire & Steel, Savage Shores and RotF LE* updates.
*RotF LE update is only needed if your database is missing the Spectre and cards # between 90 - 99.
**v1.3.9 is required for Fire & Steel to import and display properly
3>Extract v1.3.9 to a directory of your choice.
4>Place your "cards.db" file in the same directory as step 3.
5>Extract RotF LE, Fire & Steel and Savage Shores txt files for import
6>Start The Admiral program. Note: "Import Cards" is located under the "File" menu.
7>Import RotF LE data first (if you downloaded it) [ 5 Cards ]
8>Import Fire & Steel Data next [ 177 cards ]
9>Import Savage Shores Data last [ 61 cards ]
10>From the "All" tab, click on the Silver Explorer from Savage Shores (card# is "N/A")
*This card was necessary to import in order to activate the Silver Explorer Generic Crew button on the "Fleets" tab but is not an actual card in Savage Shores.
11>Once this card is highlighted, press the "Delete" key on your keyboard.
12>Restart The Admiral program and enjoy! You are now completely update

If your database is completely up to date you card total on the "All" tab should now be 1973 cards.

If you find errors in the database or program, please post them in the forums on my site, not here. Thank You!

Happy New Year!
-Homer
czamora

Canceled user

Subject: Thank you ever so much.   PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:08 am Reply with quote

Thank you ever so much for the fabulous updates.
I will finally be able to update F&S and input the new Savage Shores.

This program coupled with the MT database make a player / collector's life so much easier whan trying to mange the Choas of fun known as Pirates of the Cursed Seas!!!!!

Thank you again.

Cpt Morgan Wink
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote

Hey superhomer,

I love the revised program. It's really nice to have the data for both Fire and Steel and Savage Shores in, so I can update my lists. I'm a little dissapointed that Equipment is entered as "Other", which means they can't be assigned to ships when building a fleet, but I can work with that.

I did notice that Grim the Savage (from Fire and Steel) is listed as being Spanish instead of Pirate. Other than that, I haven't seen any other issues.
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for all your work Superhomer!
lord_denton
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:53 am Reply with quote

I don't think Superhomer will be coming to this site anymore ( last access: 7 days ), so you better report everything to his little forum he set up.
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:01 am Reply with quote

Yeah, I somehow missed the "post errors on my forum" part the first time through. I went and signed up for his forum today just so I could post the "Grimm the Savage" error.
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quote

Are there instructions for how to use this somewhere? I click a nationality and click search but nothing pops up. How do I get the ships and crew to pop up? And how do I build a fleet?
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:49 am Reply with quote

silverlantern wrote:
Are there instructions for how to use this somewhere? I click a nationality and click search but nothing pops up. How do I get the ships and crew to pop up? And how do I build a fleet?

You do realize that there is a "Help" function in the program, that includes how to do things?

To search, just enter some text into the search box and hit Search (or press enter). You can then slim down your results by checking specific nationalities, or sets.

To build a fleet, go to the fleet tab, enter a fleet name in box on the upper right and press new. That creates the fleet so that you can start adding ships. Now, go to the ships, crew or other tab, and right click on the name of one of the pieces. You should get a "add to fleet" option that you can select. Once you ships in your fleet, you will have the option of "add to ship" when you right click on a crew.

To open an existing fleet, select if from the pull down on the fleet tab and press open.

Also, in the fleet tab, crew can be dragged from ship to ship, or onto a ship if they were added before the fleet had ships.
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:07 am Reply with quote

My apologies, I suppose I was not clear enough in my earlier post.

The problem I am having is that my database within the admiral program seems to be empty of any cards or information. No matter what fields I click or parameters I use or info I type in, whenever I press search, the database is empty. It yields no results. No ships or crew or anything comes up. I tried deleting the program and subsequently downloading it again but that is of no help.

The only way I can get it to work is if I open the tool after when I try to downloading it, instead of saving the file. Any attempt at saving renders the program with an empty database, almost like if its already saved as an empty program and just re-saves it that way. But I need the database on my system in order to make fleets.

The help tool does not address this issue, so I was hoping someone had a suggestion. Thanks for any help folks.
czamora

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote

Ok, I see. The first time that you run the program, it's supposed to generate a "cards.db" file. Make sure that you don't already have a file called that in the same folder as the Admiral program, and try again.

Do you get any cards listed when you open the program?

I'd suggest signing up and posting over in superhomer's forums and see if he might have any suggestions.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: