main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Forum up at Pirates with Ben - Join us!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: Forum up at Pirates with Ben - Join us!   PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote

I never wanted to "compete" with Miniature Trading. However, given the potential demise of the site, I feel I have no choice. Any fan of Pirates CSG is very welcome to join my fansite via the Register button in the top left corner of the page. (using your MT username or similar community username would be great if you'd like, to help with familiarity)

The Forum at Pirates with Ben

Over the past week I have made a bunch of improvements to the speed of my site. This is something I plan to continue working on. However, at this point both the homepage and the main forum page have been optimized to a decent degree to the point where I feel comfortable sharing this new forum (created in August) with the community. I am also about to starting sending private messages to the Pirates CSG fans at MT, to ensure that as many people as possible know about the new forum.

I am publishing a bunch of essential threads at the PwB forum and will continue to do so. I also have a LOT of topic ideas I've been saving up for months now, so over time I think that will help to make PwB fresh and potentially even reinvigorate the community (hopefully - I can't be the only one posting there!). I am using bbpress and Buddypress Wordpress plugins to make it a community site, and there are plenty of cool features you would expect from such a system, including: private messages, public profile messages, avatars and profile background pictures, favorites, groups, and undoubtedly more (even I haven't finished exploring the options!). A handful of fans have already signed up, including Xerecs and the legendary Woelf.

I would love to implement a trading system with haves and wants along with a searchable database similar to the one MT has, but those are large long term projects and I cannot guarantee their success or implementation.

I will continue optimizing the site and my goal is for Pirates with Ben to be the #1 internet destination for fans of Pirates CSG. It is about time that the forums for the game were owned and operated by the community itself - or at the very least, its most passionate member. Thank you and I hope to see you at Pirates with Ben!

Here is a picture showing the forum's page speed. The same page also just scored a 100 on Google's PageSpeed Insights.
xeriousone
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:02 am Reply with quote

The links are not working, they just take me to a page telling me
Quote:
This site can’t be reached
pirateswithben.com’s server IP address could not be found.
Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

The same problem also occurred with the link from the email you sent to me.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote

xeriousone wrote:
The links are not working, they just take me to a page telling me
Quote:
This site can’t be reached
pirateswithben.com’s server IP address could not be found.
Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

The same problem also occurred with the link from the email you sent to me.

Hmmm... I just changed a setting, let me know if that helps at all. If not, the problem may not be on my end, as a bunch of people were able to sign up so far. I found this potential solution, and can look into it more if you're still having issues. Not sure if the country switch has anything to do with it (Canada/USA).

Edit: I just got help from the hosting provider and they said "It was a minor issue on the server and it has been resolved." Let me know if you can access the site or not.

~~~~~
Check out my fansite at Pirates with Ben!
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote

Did you adjust some settings in the last day or two?

It worked fine a couple days ago, but when I try to connect to your site now Chrome throws up some pretty serious looking security alerts, and it's not even giving the option to ignore/bypass the warning like usual with alerts like this.

Here's the error code it was giving: NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID
I can't get back to that now for more details because it's switched over to a full "website blocked" page.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
Did you adjust some settings in the last day or two?

It worked fine a couple days ago, but when I try to connect to your site now Chrome throws up some pretty serious looking security alerts, and it's not even giving the option to ignore/bypass the warning like usual with alerts like this.

Here's the error code it was giving: NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID
I can't get back to that now for more details because it's switched over to a full "website blocked" page.

No settings adjusted that I can remember, but I had some plugin updates (not for bbpress though I don't think). Strange because I just checked the page in incognito mode and everything works fine and it's still https for secured.

Thanks for the info, I'll try to look into it today.

~~~~~
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:56 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
No settings adjusted that I can remember, but I had some plugin updates (not for bbpress though I don't think). Strange because I just checked the page in incognito mode and everything works fine and it's still https for secured.

Thanks for the info, I'll try to look into it today.
I don't think it's the https thing specifically causing the issue, because MT has been showing the "! Not secure" notice in the URL bar ever since that switch over become widespread, so there must be something else setting off the alarm.

Having "pirate" in the URL could be a potential source if IT on this end is doing a blanket ban on anything that could be tangentially related to online piracy, but that doesn't explain why it would have changed in just the last few days.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:46 pm Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
Having "pirate" in the URL could be a potential source if IT on this end is doing a blanket ban on anything that could be tangentially related to online piracy, but that doesn't explain why it would have changed in just the last few days.

Can you access the site at home? Looking into it a bit, it seems like something on your end. Nobody else has had that issue that I know of, and people have been posting on the forum fine.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Cloud-Storage/Chrome-error-NET-ERR-CERT-AUTHORITY-INVALID/td-p/1221483
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3384209/net-err-cert-authority-invalid-connection-private.html
https://superuser.com/questions/1083766/how-do-i-deal-with-neterr-cert-authority-invalid-in-chrome

~~~~~
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:06 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
woelf wrote:

Can you access the site at home? Looking into it a bit, it seems like something on your end. Nobody else has had that issue that I know of, and people have been posting on the forum fine.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Cloud-Storage/Chrome-error-NET-ERR-CERT-AUTHORITY-INVALID/td-p/1221483
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3384209/net-err-cert-authority-invalid-connection-private.html
https://superuser.com/questions/1083766/how-do-i-deal-with-neterr-cert-authority-invalid-in-chrome

~~~~~
I had the chance to try it at home a few days ago. It was giving similar alerts, which may be a Chrome thing, but it did at least allow me to get through to the site after a few extra clicks.

ADDED: Just checked again at work, and it let me through with no issues at all. There must have been something temporarily throwing up red flags - a problematic ad, a certificate that hadn't been renewed, or something else entirely?

ADDED 2: Scratch that. It was letting me view the site, but when I tried to post a reply to a "Rules for Thought" thread, all of the errors came right back up and now it won't let me back in to even view the site anymore. Confused
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:46 am Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
ADDED 2: Scratch that. It was letting me view the site, but when I tried to post a reply to a "Rules for Thought" thread, all of the errors came right back up and now it won't let me back in to even view the site anymore. Confused

Just checked in with the hosting provider about this issue, and it seems to be on your end only:
Quote:
I can see it's a browser issue on that local computer. We checked your site from different computer and ISP but we are not facing any issues with your site.

Not sure when I'll get a good chance to look into it more deeply than the links I posted above, assuming your issues continue.

~~~~~
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:28 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:

Just checked in with the hosting provider about this issue, and it seems to be on your end only:
Quote:
I can see it's a browser issue on that local computer. We checked your site from different computer and ISP but we are not facing any issues with your site.
It's likely a security setting on the server at work that changed or updated or something.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: