main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Favourite trilogy/series?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Black Mongoose Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Favourite trilogy/series?
Lord of the Rings
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
The Hobbit
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Harry Potter
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Eragon/Eldest/Brisingr/Inheritance (Inheritance Cycle)
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Star Wars
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 7

xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote

He's gotta get the Pearl out of the bottle first, so he needs three goats, a crossbow, an hourglass, and someone to play trumpet while someone else wiggles their fingers. Very Happy
volt
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:04 am Reply with quote

First, I loved all the Pirate Films, and very excited for #5.

As for the vote, its very hard for me. Taking out Inheritance (which I've never read - I think I am older than most of you heh) and Harry Potter (which I've read through twice and is brilliant, but not the same for me), its a toss up between Tolkien (and I do group both together) and Star Wars.

If I had to watch the 6 movies of Tolkien or the 6 of Star Wars though? Tolkien (well, Peter Jackson) would probably win...(mostly because of Hayden Christensen's bad acting) but I enjoy the universe created in Star Wars a bit more. Maybe #7 will push Star Wars back in front heh.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote

Who's excited for Star Wars!? Shocked Very Happy
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:20 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
Who's excited for Star Wars!? Shocked Very Happy

Who isn't? Rolling Eyes Very Happy I am certainly excited for it, and perhaps they'll bring back Star Wars TCG! And perhaps they'll bring pirates back with the 5th PotC as well. Rolling Eyes

It's a pipe dream I'm sure, but who knows? Shocked Very Happy
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: The great debate   PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:09 am Reply with quote

Going to bump this one since I'm leaving the poll open indefinitely!

Since voting for Star Wars the last time, I think my vote would now have changed to the Tolkien movies, and I should have put The Hobbit/LotR all as one category. Even after the latest two SW movies, there is just something about the Middle Earth movies that just feels magical and untouchable... something deeply relaxing about watching those movies in the cold winter time that SW can't quite match. Very Happy

Rewatching all 6 Tolkien movies has become somewhat of tradition for me each January (I do it while eating), so between that hopefully happening next month and seeing Episode VIII, perhaps I'll report back if anything changes. XD
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:30 am Reply with quote

Just re-read the entire thread, heh things have a changed a wee bit. Very Happy

From my last post (in 2015!) I've since seen all the Hobbit movies, and enjoyed them quite a bit. Reflecting on it now, I do think the three movies were necessary, if only to convey the epicness of the Battle of the Five Armies. Plus as a result of those films, I've found some AWESOME covers of The Misty Mountain Cold.

My favorite trilogy/series is still the Inheritance cycle, and I'm sad that the one movie adaptation was not done as well as it could have been. had it been done on the level of Tolkien or even the HP films, I feel it could have done as well as those series have and continue to do.

Now that Episode 7 and Rouge One have come out (with episode 8 on the way!), as well as the 5th Pirates movies, I can say that I have mixed feelings. I liked episode 7, even if it was VERY similar to episode 4. Rouge One was okay, but I feel I could have lived without that film, even though it was well done. The ending scene with Vader more than made up for the rest of the film.

I think we've discussed how the 5th Pirates movie did over on the main forum, but I'll add my two cents here. I felt it was alright, but could have been better. They went back to the formula from the first three movies, and made the main story less about Jack and more about the people around him, and how he's the linchpin for their success. While there wasn't a ship-to-ship battle like in the first three, the 'boarding battle' sequence was quite fun, especially the duel on the out stretched cannons. The masthead coming alive was wonky but fun. The end credit scene was intriguing as it intimated that he could still be alive, but trapped in some kind of purgatory of Calypso's devising. I think that they should leave the Pirate franchise alone after this one.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:42 am Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
From my last post (in 2015!) I've since seen all the Hobbit movies, and enjoyed them quite a bit. Reflecting on it now, I do think the three movies were necessary, if only to convey the epicness of the Battle of the Five Armies. Plus as a result of those films, I've found some AWESOME covers of The Misty Mountain Cold.

I'm glad you enjoyed them, I know they're not as good as LotR (and likely never could be) but I find them underrated from the main crowd who say "too much CGI", "too many movies", etc.

Quote:
My favorite trilogy/series is still the Inheritance cycle, and I'm sad that the one movie adaptation was not done as well as it could have been. had it been done on the level of Tolkien or even the HP films, I feel it could have done as well as those series have and continue to do.

Yeah if Hollywood spent a billion dollars+ (lol) and did the Inheritance Cycle proper justice, we'd have another LotR cinematic masterpiece to watch.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:26 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
xerecs wrote:

I'm glad you enjoyed them, I know they're not as good as LotR (and likely never could be) but I find them underrated from the main crowd who say "too much CGI", "too many movies", etc.

Quote:

Yeah if Hollywood spent a billion dollars+ (lol) and did the Inheritance Cycle proper justice, we'd have another LotR cinematic masterpiece to watch.

I do think that they used CG a little TOO much, especially in the last one, but not using CG would probably have upped the cost by about another 20-30 million.......

On the Inheritance cycle, it may not be a money issue. The books get rather violent as they go on, and studios could be worried about how the film would be rated and so forth. Perhaps an approach would be to go the Game of Thrones route, and make a TV series out of it. They could probably get away with the violence in the latter books, and would have more time to develop characters and build up to battles and what not. Only question is, what TV network/station has the kind of dough to put forth a production like that?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
On the Inheritance cycle, it may not be a money issue. The books get rather violent as they go on, and studios could be worried about how the film would be rated and so forth. Perhaps an approach would be to go the Game of Thrones route, and make a TV series out of it. They could probably get away with the violence in the latter books, and would have more time to develop characters and build up to battles and what not. Only question is, what TV network/station has the kind of dough to put forth a production like that?

I don't see the violence of the IC as being the main problem when compared to the various nasty things on tv all the time nowadays. I think it's too epic and grand to be a tv series, since a movie would allow for a greater spectacle on a level of LotR. I feel like the series has been out of the "mainstream" for years now since the last book came out, and it has plenty of haters who make the inevitable comparisons to SW and LotR as it not being original. Throw in the Eragon movie flop (I've never been more disappointed in a movie) and I don't think it's all that likely. I think people in Hollywood would have to speak up about it, it would have to be planned and done right, and Paolini could get involved so they don't butcher it like they did with Eragon. (which would need a remake obviously if they were to do 4+ movies lol)
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:51 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
xerecs wrote:

I don't see the violence of the IC as being the main problem when compared to the various nasty things on tv all the time nowadays. I think it's too epic and grand to be a tv series, since a movie would allow for a greater spectacle on a level of LotR. I feel like the series has been out of the "mainstream" for years now since the last book came out, and it has plenty of haters who make the inevitable comparisons to SW and LotR as it not being original. Throw in the Eragon movie flop (I've never been more disappointed in a movie) and I don't think it's all that likely. I think people in Hollywood would have to speak up about it, it would have to be planned and done right, and Paolini could get involved so they don't butcher it like they did with Eragon. (which would need a remake obviously if they were to do 4+ movies lol)

Perhaps you're right about the violence, but the soldiers that cannot feel pain in the later two books are quite creepy, almost downright terrifying. I'm not sure how ANYONE would be able to pull off that feat and do it right.

That might be another reason why it's not attracted attention, being out of the 'mainstream' of fantasy things. If the series was to be re-booted, I think after the first one they'd need to split each book into at least two movies, possibly more. The last two books are enormous, and quite comprehensive, meaning you'd need two or three films to properly convey all that went on.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
Perhaps you're right about the violence, but the soldiers that cannot feel pain in the later two books are quite creepy, almost downright terrifying. I'm not sure how ANYONE would be able to pull off that feat and do it right.

I feel like that's already been done numerous times. I'm thinking about the villains from Iron Man 3, all sorts of "ghost" stuff that isn't affected in battle, possibly the Walking dead or whatever, and heck even all the various "cursed" crew aboard ships in the PotC franchise. I actually don't think it would be that difficult, you just have effects where someone gets their arm cut off and they just keep coming at you like nothing happened (sounds like all of the above lol).

Quote:
The last two books are enormous, and quite comprehensive, meaning you'd need two or three films to properly convey all that went on.

I agree, but I remember far more happening in Eldest than Brisingr. The third book is longer than it needed to be and gets pretty repetitive. The ~4 chapters towards the end about Eldunari and whatnot is almost the book's entire update to the series in a very small actual page count. I think 1-2 movies per book would work, with Eldest and Inheritance as the ones most deserving of a double movie (even Eragon could be a better candidate than Brisingr for that IMO). (plus reading about the Battle of the Burning Plains is still one of the best reading experiences of my life haha, and would need to be epic on a scale to match the Battle of the Pelennor Fields)
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:49 am Reply with quote

All the books in the inheritance cycle have large or significant battles at the end. In the first, it's the battle of Farthen Dur, and in Eldest its the battle on the Burning Plains, with the reveal near the end with Murtagh and Hrothgar's death. In Brisingr, the siege of Feinster is quite important, as well as the forging of his new sword.

I feel that Brisingr tied up a few loose ends from the first book, namely the Raz'ac and saw the development between Earagon and Arya, and the struggles of Roran. Plus the choosing of the new Dwarf king..... The Eldunari are important but there were a few other key developments imo.

Good comparison with the battle of Pelennor Field, I think the Burning Plains would be the signature battle of the series if a movie franchise was launched.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Black Mongoose Tavern All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: