main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

wholesale from china through DHgate

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Command the Oceans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote

interesting randomness. Is that the sub hideout that's bumping up against the Flat, or something else? In other news, yay! Land war on the flat!XD I'm rooting for the Americans in general now, what with the Pirate attack and the French LOOKING weak. We the readers know the French have some serious defenses at their disposal (harbor) as well as considerable gold saved up for SOMETHING, as well as dropping off the fort upgrade at Paradis. Overall it's going to be a very interesting war to see play out.

Pirates being sneaky as always, with CC denying military help. It will be interesting to see how the Pirates react to the Jade/Cursed conflict, as their presence will have SOME effect on the outcome of that war. Since Mission is there with them, he might broker a truce with one of the warring sides, and then double cross them in some way (pirate after all).

Go Spain! Kill the English! XD I'm very happy to see the Spanish resist the English and start another battle right one their front door so to speak! However I'm concerned that the fortifications at Diamond Rock may prove to be too great an obstacle to overcome, especially the artillery units at the top and halfway up the rock. Will the Spanish be able to shoot at the top with their cannons, or will they have to conduct a land invasion? Shocked Such a feat would be near impossible, unless the English were SEVERELY weakened.

Anywho, super fun to read, keep em coming!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote

xerecs wrote:
interesting randomness. Is that the sub hideout that's bumping up against the Flat, or something else?

Nope.

Quote:
Will the Spanish be able to shoot at the top with their cannons, or will they have to conduct a land invasion? Shocked Such a feat would be near impossible, unless the English were SEVERELY weakened.

I haven't fully decided yet. I'm thinking they can devise something that can shoot at an angle, but only hits on a 6 or something. In addition, the Spanish have left a UT on their HI for a while now, which may come in handy....
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote

Quite the developments. I guess I overestimated the Pirates' combat abilities.

The change of resources is pretty exciting; I can't wait to see those launches!

Will we be seeing more lighthouses soon?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:02 am Reply with quote

el_cazador wrote:
Will we be seeing more lighthouses soon?

I have no idea; like I said when I introduced the first one, they are things that the factions will build when optimal, not randomly just to use an extra custom piece. The bigger problem is that most of the islands are either too small or not flat enough to accommodate a lighthouse.

PS: Don't get TOO hyped for the launches, they surely won't exceed the ones from Turn 50 and it's possible that neither faction will spend all the gold they get from cashing in the luxuries.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:53 am Reply with quote

Here are the American and French turns of Turn 56.

The French utterly dominate the Americans at The Flat!

The Cleveland, Saratoga, and Delaware are finished, while the Minuteman has one mast left but is burning. The Dauphin Royal got an AA from Gaston to shoot twice, using Lenoir to cancel the L-immunity of the Jarvis.

Paradis was very ineffective, but one shot hit to take out an American infantry unit, the first land-to-land combat of this game. The Hercule and Bonaparte join the Delacroix in extinguishing their flames at the fort, with the Hercule also dismasting the Seattle.

From the previous pictures you may have noticed a few new ships at The Flat! That's right, the French were saving gold in order to launch from their newly upgraded fort! However, between the battle, the Americans having staked out the northern end of the island, and the handful of ships docking at The Flat for repairs, they only had room to launch two ships there this first time. However, those two ships are two more French capital ships - the 5 masters Neptune and Monaque.

Now we see the extent of the French spending spree - they didn't come close to spending all of their gold, but they still spent a bunch! The Aube, Tepant, Epee, Orient, Aquilon, Cleopatre, Heros and Atalante come into play, all with fighting crew aboard.

Here is most of the French deckplate area, with new launches joining the other existing ships.

Cleaning up their victory, the Americans deal damage to the remaining Pirate ships near their HI, which at this point are only the Ranger, Thirty Tyrants, and Rickets. Much towing and awkward turning logistics ensue.

Definitely one of the most wreckage-filled battles I've had in a game of Pirates CSG. In many spots there are simply masts on top of masts, so it's like a dense layer of wreckage, with ships sailing over it with some difficulty. O_O

The Americans retreat, and the French have won the Second Fight at The Flat!! This may seem premature and even lame from a reader's point of view, but there were various reasons behind the decision. First off, the French still don't want war with the Americans, and were not the ones to initiate this conflict. The French senior officers talked down to the American captains on the attacking ships, telling them that not only have they launched two brand-new powerful warships at The Flat, but they have more on the way very soon. The French then threatened to spend even more gold next turn on more new ships, as they still have 204 gold! Compounding matters further, the host of American ships have been absolutely stopped by the French line, with not a single French 5 master dismasted or sunk thus far and various American ships dismasted or fleeing with 1 mast standing. The Turn 50 megalaunches saw the Americans purchase more ships, but the French got the best of their best, with various top-of-the-line 5 masters defending The Flat and some (like the Charlemagne) not even getting in action yet. Notice the troop transports loading up the army units, taking them off The Flat.

And thus, the Truce of The Flat is now in effect! Indeed, this is the first official truce or treaty in this game, and a concept that has been underutilized by me in my past campaign games. This is not a full peace treaty, but a truce that the Americans and French agreed to. The terms dictate that the Americans can retreat from the area in peace if the derelict American ships strike their colors. The Americans considered this a fine deal, as their long-term plans have been severely hampered by the French and they will have to re-evaluate their strategy going forward.

The Americans retreat west, but they are already formulating grand plans for the future, though that future is more distant than they hoped or anticipated it to be. Various possibilities exist: with two powerful foes (Pirates and French), the Americans may look for an ally to aid in their war efforts. Since the Americans know their way around the whirlpools pretty well at this point, reaching out to other factions is a possibility, though the Americans assume the Spanish are as weak as they were earlier in the game and they don't have any idea about the Jades and Cursed. In addition, with a possible peace with France suddenly materializing, the Americans may be able to throw their full might against the Pirates. An extended whirlpool trip could be costly, but with two large-scale battles just recently going on simultaneously, the Americans have shown the financial power needed for such an endeavor.

With the battle against the French over, a few healthy gunships try to find a shortcut home, going along the side of the large structure that will be officially revealed when it is fully explored.

From the mainmast of USS Mercury:

The Americans spend big as well! In fact, they cash in ALL of their luxuries and combine it with some gold and cashed in lumber to spend a whopping 228 gold! A full dozen ships are purchased, among them the Congress and Concord, which are relaunched in the same round that the French traded them in. There is a thing happening: The Mobilization of the American Navy. Preble coined the phrase after learning of the Truce of The Flat, and it represents a period of change for the Americans. They have won their first battle, a serious effort against the Pirates. However, the French are far stronger and defensive than they anticipated, leading to a major loss that would likely be far worse if not for the sudden truce and retreat. At this point, the Americans need to repair, regroup, and mobilize. Many plans are being considered in addition to the possibilities above.

Clearly I'm going a little overboard with the thematics with the Americans in this game, possibly since they go last in the turn order and therefore usually last in the reports. However, I think it's fun to give a full insight into the mind of one of the factions, as the reader doesn't know all the strategies being considered by the other factions. That's not to say that each faction has strategic thinking as deep as the Americans lately - for example, the Jades and Cursed have been in pure war mode for a while and are simply concerned with eliminating the other. However, it's fun to give you the full breakdown for at least one of the factions' thoughts, and hopefully I can expand on more of the others.

The super-accurate Blackwatch highlights the additions, while that ship, the Paul Revere, and the Julius Caesar are some of my favorite American ships.

With that, I look forward to some amount of action tomorrow, and a point count within the next 2 or 3 days. However, Saturday-Tuesday will see considerably less action so I will likely just play "faction turns" when I'm able to on those days. Thanks for reading, and feel free to comment!
krazykat

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:28 am Reply with quote

It's awesome to see their thinking! maybe like once per turn or so would be nice to get a deeper dive into a faction's mindset?
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:17 am Reply with quote

Interesting developments. I honestly did not expect to see the Americans and French make a peace treaty....

I wonder what that structure is..... I suppose we'll just have to find out when the Americans explore it?
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote

krazykat wrote:
It's awesome to see their thinking! maybe like once per turn or so would be nice to get a deeper dive into a faction's mindset?

Yes, I hope to do it with more than just the Americans, but not every faction has deep thoughts every turn (mostly just the Pirates, French, and Americans especially in the past 5-15 turns) and I don't want to say too much in case I spoil certain possibilities that would be better off as big surprises.... Very Happy (not rigging the game at all, it's just that certain developments that take a long time to play out are better off as surprises than obvious "predictions" - the opposite would be the English fortifications at Diamond Rock, which was impossible to ignore and hasn't affected the outcome of things very much so far)

xerecs wrote:
Interesting developments. I honestly did not expect to see the Americans and French make a peace treaty....

I wonder what that structure is..... I suppose we'll just have to find out when the Americans explore it?

Like I said, it's a truce not a full peace treaty. They are still "at war", but this gives the Americans a break and the French can figure out what they want to do with the Americans. Either side could negotiate to end the actual war, but BOTH sides would be very interested in making some territorial gains to get a better deal when a peace treaty materializes. For example, the Americans would still like to have The Flat, while the French may want control of the entire sea up to the American reef boundary. As a result, both sides would need to do some expansion (likely the "aggressive" kind of course) in order to pursue their particular interests in a longer-term deal.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:

xerecs wrote:

Like I said, it's a truce not a full peace treaty. They are still "at war", but this gives the Americans a break and the French can figure out what they want to do with the Americans. Either side could negotiate to end the actual war, but BOTH sides would be very interested in making some territorial gains to get a better deal when a peace treaty materializes. For example, the Americans would still like to have The Flat, while the French may want control of the entire sea up to the American reef boundary. As a result, both sides would need to do some expansion (likely the "aggressive" kind of course) in order to pursue their particular interests in a longer-term deal.

Ah, good point. It's a truce not a treaty, an armistice if you would. Aggressive territorial negotiations eh? I think the Americans know more about the world at large (the other two oceans) than the French do. They could agree to let the French keep the Flat, and maybe the island beyond it. Doing so would appease the French, and the Americans could look to expand into another ocean, maybe the Caribbean, since the Sea of Allost is rather crowded and has an extremely hostile faction to them in it (pirates).

Another option I thought of would be for the Americans to go south, in the general direction of Nemo and the Mercs, maybe secure an alliance with the them to combat or check the French.

When it comes to aggressive expansion, right now I'm more inclined to believe that the Americans would pursue this avenue of thought, since the French seem more peaceable and the Americans more expansive (manifest destiny lol).
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject: MASSIVE to an unprecedented degree   PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:35 am Reply with quote

Turn 57! The day's action begins with Pirate activities at the Tunnel, where Mission is returning to Pirate waters. Bartholomew Roberts is exploring the Tunnel, amazed at both the height and length of it.

With a VERY rare shot looking from north to south in the Sea of Allost, here is a view of the Golden Medusa checking out the outside north wall of the huge Tunnel.

The Pirate whirlpool squadron emerges back in the Sea of Karkuda! After repairing from their sneak attack on the English in the Caribbean, the squadron has headed back to Karkuda after getting wind of the American/French "dispute" XD. The Feathered Hat, generally the flagship of the squadron when Havana Black and the Deliverance aren't around, was given an AA to approach the French ships near The Flat. The other ships of the squadron followed the FH through when the FH didn't return to Pirate waters, as she would have if the situation didn't look good. The captain of the Feathered Hat speaks with various Frenchmen, including Michael Bordeaux and Guy LaPlante. Finding a commonality in their anti-American sentiments, the Pirates and French agree to an alliance!!

Spending time for the Jades! They buy some very expensive and very fragile firepower, since they're running out of ships to purchase. Many of the Viking 1 masters are launched, along with the Donar and Sea Crane. At this point I have even run out of the paper crew chips for new players, so I've been writing "C 3" (for captains) and whatnot on index cards which are then cut into little bits so I can fit as many deckplates in the deckplate areas as possible.

The VERY busy Jade HI, which is also looking like a fortress due to their slow but steady accumulation of army units.

The large and powerful JR squadron on patrol duty has set a clear boundary against the Cursed.

The Cursed answer with launches of their own! The first kraken is now in play: Terrox is here!

The Executioner and Poor Adams are two more additions, while the Jikininki has finished repairing. The Demon Gate and Sea Rat are also launched.

After the surprise Spanish attack to open the Second Battle of Diamond Rock, the English strike back with very accurate gunnery! The Tower flotilla and the Burma do most of the damage, as the Ebro and Acorazado lose two masts each.

But the Spanish have a numerical advantage in that area right now! The Santa Catalina, Profeta, Asesino, and Habana enter the fray to back up their fleetmates! However, their shooting percentage is far lower than the English on this turn, though the sheer number of shots taken mean that the Burma and Duke of York lose additional masts.

Similar to the English at the First Battle of Paradise Island, the Spanish break the English "line" to advance their squadron. However, the farther the Spanish advance, the more English ships they will encounter, not to mention the cannons on the shore of Diamond Rock's only beach.

With the resources going back to normal and food and textiles becoming valuable again, the Mercenaries are able to cash in!! They spend all 38 gold from their first haul and launch the first 10 master of the game!!

The Celtic Fury is here!!

You may have noticed those giant guns protruding from the bow of the CF. They are extra bombardier cannon pieces that I can use as a physical representation of Bow Chasers, a custom equipment of mine partially inspired by PotC.

Bow Chasers

Faction Affiliation: Neutral
Type: Equipment
Point Value: 5

This ship gains two additional cannons that can only shoot from the foremost mast of the ship. The cannons have 4L rank/range and the Extended Range keyword. The cannons can only fire in a straight line directly forward of the ship's bow. Other pieces of equipment cannot be used with Bow Chasers, and Bow Chasers cannot have their range or rank improved.

Especially when viewed from deck or land level, the Celtic Fury suddenly becomes the most imposing ship on the seas:

Nemo's Mercenary Submarine Hideout can only accommodate submarines, but the Mercenaries can still launch ships S away from the hideout. I'm inclined to allow their sailing ships to dock at the hideout, but for now they can only unload resources and gold when they surface inside the hideout.

Check out the crew setup on the CF. Ms. O'Brien has left the Mobilis to command the largest ship currently in play. The Bow Chasers and the crew fill out the 13 points the Mercs spent.

And so this begins an interesting period of international Mercenary relations. That is clear....

Continuing the theme of major launches (the third faction in the turn to spend 100+ gold), the French spend ALL of their 246 gold to get a dozen new ships!! Those three ships at the top are currently troop transports, while the Conquerant represents a slight change of policy for France in this game. As they cement their (very) strong position in the Sea of Karkuda and gold continues to flow in from their various islands, the French are able to experiment a little bit. The first "flamethrower" of the game shows up with some hesitancy and anticipation.

O_O Whoa... intrigued by Nemo's desertion and change of heart, Gaston himself pays the Mercenaries a visit! However, the French go after the Mercenaries, so the Bourbon is blocked from seeing the submerged Nautilus by the giant new junk! O'Brien and Gaston have a very amicable conversation, with O'Brien following orders from Nemo to lie about Nemo's true intentions. O'Brien tells Gaston that Nemo is doing all of this in the employ of France, and that the Celtic Fury will be joining the French fleet defending The Flat! Gaston eats it up, and everything is going according to plan for Nemo. He glimpsed the Bourbon on the horizon last turn, and the resources changing back was the perfect time to get a pro-France ally out there to talk up Gaston. O'Brien has long been the favorite Mercenary of France, serving them well over the years. She also speaks fluent French, something most other Mercs struggle mightily with. After the pleasant conversation, Gaston heads back to his cabin, impressed with Nemo's direction. Nemo is playing things perfectly, using O'Brien to delay French knowledge of the Mercenaries being their own independent faction.

Nearly the entire French situation:

The ships launched last turn are barely getting out of the Harbor when another batch of new ships arrives! At the left, notice the Westminster has entered the Harbor! The French have agreed to help the English a little: the Westminster can use the French Harbor to repair, but no alliance has been agreed to. At the right, the Conquerant is using the "flamestrike" cannon but I think I'll leave the flame part off when it's not being used, to make things more realistic and make it easier to move the ship around.

The Americans continue to explore the structure they recently found!

The Brandywine uses her ability and an AA from Preble to look at the entire south side of the structure!

Introducing: The Castle!

Hidden on all sides by a variety of reefs, fog, and sargasso seas, the Castle is an abandoned castle built long ago in the Sea of Karkuda. The enormous structure has been decaying for quite some time, but it could make a decent location for a faction if they were inclined to restore it to its former glory....

The next three pictures show the massive American fleet in sections.

The Americans have disabled the last of the Pirate ships in the southwest corner of Karkuda, officially sealing their commanding victory!

The first Pirate captures have been docked at the home island, while some new American ships head out, sailing northeast.

Here you can see 5 American ships heading home for repairs after the Second Fight at The Flat. At the top, a few gunships and the 4 troop transports have been laid up "in reserve" west of The Flat. They are guarding against French intrusion in addition to awaiting further orders. With a huge fleet and very complex logistics, in addition to some newfound uncertainty as to their long-term strategy, there are some American captains that don't know what to do right now.

O_O With the Castle officially revealed at last, you can finally see nearly ALL of the Sea of Karkuda!! Here you can really get an idea of just how MASSIVE my custom stuff is. The Harbor is so large that it utterly dominates the entire northeast quadrant of this ocean, which is about 5 feet by 3 feet. The Castle has been an obstacle to my picture-taking until now, and you can notice how I purposely left any clip of it out of pictures near The Flat. I also didn't want the sub hideout so close to the other stuff, but I couldn't realistically have a bigger ocean. In addition, you can see just how crowded Karkuda has become, with GIANT French and American fleets being joined by Pirates and Mercenaries of late. Formerly a mostly dormant ocean when the Sea of Allost had the majority of the points in play and when we witnessed the First Battle of Diamond Rock, the Sea of Karkuda is now incredibly busy and HOT! XD

The most epic and shocking point count of all time

After anticipating a major ship and point count since the big launches on Turn 50, the time has finally come!! It took a little over a full hour just to tally up all the points and ships in play. As with the previous counts, only deckplate areas were considered for this. Forts, army units, and existing caches of gold are not counted at all.

Without further ado, here are the numbers.

10/6/2017 point and ship count as of the end of Turn 57:

Pirates: 64 ships, 1,052 points
Jade Rebellion: 34 ships, 650 points
Cursed: 45 ships, 802 points
English: 34 ships, 518 points
Spanish: 21 ships, 317 points
Mercenaries: 4 ships, 100 points
French: 63 ships, 1,133 points
Americans: 77 ships, 1,361 points

Total: 342 ships, 5,933 points

O_O

Unsurprising at this point, but Command the Oceans has officially become the biggest game in the history of Pirates CSG!!!!

In much more shocking news, this game has completely obliterated any and ALL point and ship records in any Pirates CSG game you can imagine. It is almost incomprehensible to think about. Most people only play games with a total of 80, or 120, or 200. This game is about to exceed SIX THOUSAND TOTAL POINTS. O_O After it reached around 4,600 after Turn 50, I realized that it would not only be the first game to reach the 4,000 point level, but also the first ever to hit 5,000 points! However, things have kept ballooning to the point of total insanity, with 6,000 points within reach less than 10 turns later. O_O Just for reference, the previous record for a game was 3,516 total points for VASSAL Campaign Game 1. This game has exceeded that game by nearly an additional 2,500 points, which by itself would make a HUGE game!! Finally, the record for a physical game was 2,846 total points for Economy Edition. That record has now been more than doubled. O_O In the past, my biggest games have sometimes featured the winning fleet peaking at over 1,000 points. In this game, there are THREE fleets at 1,000+ points, with no end in sight!!

I will admit that a handful of factors have contributed to the astronomical point total. First off, three oceans is quite a lot, and it means I have more square footage on which to play than any other CG I've played outside of the 2011 cumulative game, where I used my whole room in a setting I would not repeat today. Secondly, the mast elimination and sinking house rules have resulted in many less sunken ships than EE or CG1. Finally, there has still not been extremely long and drawn-out combat between two factions outside of the Jades and Cursed, who do have lower ship and point totals as a result of that war.

More stats and figures:
Points per ship:
Pirates: 16.4 points/ship
Jade Rebellion: 19.1
Cursed: 17.8
English: 15.2
Spanish: 15.1
Mercenaries: 25 (Celtic Fury is one of four Merc ships XD)
French: 18
Americans: 17.7
Overall: 17.35 points/ship (almost the same as my 17.46 number from EE's near-peak, so this is a very good gauge for CG's)

Here you can see the difference between a fleet of 6 masted junks and Viking longships, two of the most expensive ship types in the game, as the JR fleet has the same number of ships as the English but 132 more points.

By ocean: (with some give or take necessary due to whirlpool traveling)
Sea of Allost: 143 ships, 2,504 points
Caribbean: 55 ships, 835 points
Sea of Karkuda: 144 ships, 2,594 points
-Almost the same numbers in Allost and Karkuda!

Percentage of points in play:
Pirates: 17.7% (1,052/5,933)
JR: 10.9%
Cursed: 13.5%
English: 8.7%
Spanish: 5.3%
French: 19.1%
Americans: 22.9%

From that you can see that if the Pirate/French alliance is very fruitful, they could combine to control around 37% of the total points in play... however, the current strongest faction is at war with both of them haha. You can also crunch the numbers various ways in an attempt to come up with a majority alliance....

Now for an extended look at the considerable area in the two rooms that I have dedicated to deckplate areas.

With three columns for the Pirates and Cursed, this is the main deckplate area for the Sea of Allost. However, the Pirates have grown out of this area and have spilled over into the other room, with the Cursed threatening to do the same soon.

Wall of text? How about a wall of deckplates and crew! XD

At the upper right, Wraith has been repossessing crew for a while now aboard the Soul Crusher.

A few more Pirate deckplates left of their main area, also previewing the JR area...

... which are partially under the Caribbean table.

The rest of the JR section, which are pretty difficult to get to at this point.

The English and the Spanish are near the Caribbean:

The small primary Spanish area is next to the coin tin and the resources bag.

But similar to the other factions, the Spanish have now spilled over into a new area underneath the Caribbean. (underwater lol)

Here we see extra Pirate and English stuff (their more recent launches) along with the new Mercenary faction.

Here is the huge French area, which is basically full at this point. This is the same area where the huge Franco-Spanish fleet from Economy Edition was.

Finally, the Americans with the biggest fleet of them all. Note that without the 7 recently captured Pirate ships, the Pirates would have a narrow lead in ships at 71-70. Alas, with a decisive American victory the Americans have the largest fleet.

I also started Turn 58 with the Pirates!

Another random resource change! For this turn only, metals would be the most valuable resource, with the fish market crashing temporarily.

Using an EA from Calico Cat to travel through most of the Tunnel, the Revenant approaches Pirate waters. The Silver Dagger is given an AA to get close to the Revenant, and an exchange will take place next turn.

The Pirates buy another ladder in order to give two oarsmen to the Deliverance. Havana Black has restocked his supply of sacrificial crew.

The Pirates spent 95 total gold on their turn, launching 5 additional gunships.

With 88 additional points of ships and crew in play, this game reaches 6,021 total points!!! O_O
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject: >6000   PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:14 am Reply with quote

That's an incredible game going on. More than 6000 points, and each faction still has much to launch. Battles everywhere, a sea with giant terrain...

A7xfanben, you have outdone yourself. I doff my tricorne to ye.

The Castle is so much larger than the already impressive Diamond Rock, Pirate Kingdom, Hideout, Dragon's Roost, and even the Harbor. I anticipate that whoever can take and hold the Castle will prove the strongest faction in the game, but getting there seems to require multiple armies and fortresses, as well as many ships. It's so large that we could even see significant land to land combat, with sorties from fort on a tower to an enemy fort on a tower. (Any plans for cavalry units to join the infantry and artillery?) The walls look narrow; assaulting a fortress placed on one of the towers could be very costly.

Nemo's decision (while fun) is puzzling. Even gaining resources relatively unmolested, the Mercenaries will have trouble catching up to the massive factions already in play. I can't help but wonder what Nemo's long term plan is and hope that we get to see some more developments under the French aegis.

The French-Pirate alliance, on the other hand, should worry the Americans (and Nemo!). The Pirates now have a staging area in Karkuda; they are no longer at the mercy of the whirlpools. A combined Pirate/French offensive, with support or a feint from the whirlpool could prove disastrous for the Americans.

The French-English accord is still rather odd; I expect that the captain and crew of the Westminster are noting the details of the Harbor for when that information eventually becomes useful.

All we need is for a French-Cursed alliance to break all my expectations.
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:10 am Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I dont think I've been this hyped since the start! (not true actually, I've been hype for this continuously!)

Once again, intriguing developments, I did not think the Pirates and French would come to an alliance so quickly, i wonder how Myssion will react when he finds out, since this seems to have happened 'on the spot' and without consent from the leading figures of the respective factions.

Speaking of, Eileen completely fooled Gaston! Shocked Very Happy I quite liked that bit, since it sets up Nemo as an anti-hero of sorts, at odds with the French, and most likely the Americans.....

Once again, go Spain! Viva la imperio Espanol! XD Razz I like the fight they're showing against the English, but I'm worried for them. The English currently have far better gun quality, and will be quick to rectify their numbers disadvantage. Here's hoping the Spanish can pull off an economic miracle and find funds to finance their war!

The Castle....... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Of all the custom pieces I've seen so far form you, this one I like the most! The holes in the sides, and flooded-in places (assuming) give a vibe of a once powerful empire, with this as it's capital, but sudden disaster struck, and the empire was lost! I've really got Atlantis/ Valyria vibes from this, and I think it could be improved on! It looks like one or two of those drink holder things you can get from a fast food place, or like it went into a box that had cylindrical things in it (a find from your job?). I think a little painting, and maybe some overgrowth (that can be removed!) would really make this piece.

Aesthetics aside, if the Americans can get a firm foothold in the Castle, it would make a PEREFCT counter to the Flat, and maybe even the harbor. As Caz mentioned, the Pirates and French can use the Flat as a staging area to attack the Americans, and Mercenaries. If the Americans take over and control the Castle however, and get some guns up on top of it like the English at Diamond Rock........ Well, I think it'd be hard for the French/Pirates (or anyone really) to dislodge them from there. The trick of course will be getting there, but with your custom rules about exploding shot, the Americans should be able to clear a path around Ruby Island for ships to pass into. Actually as I'm saying that, that sounds like the best course of action for the Americans, not only would uit open up the Castle to larger ships, but it would also create a southern route into the rest of Karkuda, and would ease congestion and traffic in their current 'pass'.

Quote:

The best path would be to eliminate the reefs on the southern side of Ruby, near the whirlpool (imo); also, see the raised part, by the Brandywine? I think that if the Americans can manage it, that'd be the perfect place to put a Lighthouse, as it would give them heightened visuals, and would be perfect for overseeing the Castle. Like Diamond rock however, the problem is getting to that high ground....

Super exciting developments, the point count ASTOUNDED me, even with annual Campaigns, I don't think one of my games will ever get this big, and maybe I wont want them to. Some records should not be broken..... Very Happy

Excitedly awaiting more!
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote

el_cazador wrote:
A7xfanben, you have outdone yourself. I doff my tricorne to ye.

Thank you both (and all) for reading, your interest, and your comments! Very Happy And yeah, I didn't expect this game to get THIS big... I am now in completely unknown territory FAR beyond anything that's ever been done....

Quote:
The Castle is so much larger than the already impressive Diamond Rock, Pirate Kingdom, Hideout, Dragon's Roost, and even the Harbor. I anticipate that whoever can take and hold the Castle will prove the strongest faction in the game, but getting there seems to require multiple armies and fortresses, as well as many ships. It's so large that we could even see significant land to land combat, with sorties from fort on a tower to an enemy fort on a tower. (Any plans for cavalry units to join the infantry and artillery?) The walls look narrow; assaulting a fortress placed on one of the towers could be very costly.

It's smaller overall than the Harbor (and can't hold as many ships in its own harbor areas) but still very large. I had a feeling someone might mention cavalry so I didn't expect to keep that under wraps, but it's very unlikely they'll show up at all.

Quote:
Nemo's decision (while fun) is puzzling. Even gaining resources relatively unmolested, the Mercenaries will have trouble catching up to the massive factions already in play. I can't help but wonder what Nemo's long term plan is and hope that we get to see some more developments under the French aegis.

Yeah, at this point a Mercenary victory is all but impossible with multiple fleets more than ten times as large. However, perhaps they will be able to influence the final result or stay safe in order to finish in the top 3 or so factions.

Quote:
The French-Pirate alliance, on the other hand, should worry the Americans (and Nemo!). The Pirates now have a staging area in Karkuda; they are no longer at the mercy of the whirlpools. A combined Pirate/French offensive, with support or a feint from the whirlpool could prove disastrous for the Americans.

Definitely; it will be very interesting to see how fruitful that alliance is and if they can cooperate on any major offensives.

Quote:
All we need is for a French-Cursed alliance to break all my expectations.

They don't know about each other yet, but at this point, anything seems possible! XD

xerecs wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I dont think I've been this hyped since the start! (not true actually, I've been hype for this continuously!)

XD No kidding, that looks like even more shocked emojis than you used after the first post! XD I am hyped for the future developments, but have tempered my expectations a bit since turns take so long to play and not a ton will happen Saturday-Tuesday... however, I will admit that my timetable for this game is nearly Thanksgiving, barring any disasters and unforeseen circumstances. As a result, there should be MUCH more to come! Very Happy

Quote:
Once again, intriguing developments, I did not think the Pirates and French would come to an alliance so quickly, i wonder how Myssion will react when he finds out, since this seems to have happened 'on the spot' and without consent from the leading figures of the respective factions.

Yeah the Pirates and French had spoken briefly before and now they have a common enemy and therefore somewhat shared goals. As said in a previous report, the whirlpool squadron has been given high autonomy compared to the rest of the Pirate fleet, so they are enterprising and doing what they can to help the Pirates without Missions direct orders and guidance.

Quote:
The Castle....... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Of all the custom pieces I've seen so far form you, this one I like the most! The holes in the sides, and flooded-in places (assuming) give a vibe of a once powerful empire, with this as it's capital, but sudden disaster struck, and the empire was lost! I've really got Atlantis/ Valyria vibes from this, and I think it could be improved on! It looks like one or two of those drink holder things you can get from a fast food place, or like it went into a box that had cylindrical things in it (a find from your job?). I think a little painting, and maybe some overgrowth (that can be removed!) would really make this piece.

Really! I figured you would like the Roost and/or Kingdom the most. It's funny since of all the custom pieces, I think I am least excited about the Castle. XD It holds potential for gameplay, I just think it looks somewhat silly and is very big for an ocean of almost any size. It was a find from my job, and the original cardboard mold held large candle jars or something like that. It may be "improved" but for now it is ready for gameplay, which as I stated at the outset is infinitely more important to me than the aesthetics. I think a gray paint with black lines for the wall would look good, but that is more of a long-term idea since I need to maximize how much I play CTO over the next ~6 weeks (hopefully) in order to be satisfied with how the game goes.

Quote:
The best path would be to eliminate the reefs on the southern side of Ruby, near the whirlpool (imo); also, see the raised part, by the Brandywine? I think that if the Americans can manage it, that'd be the perfect place to put a Lighthouse, as it would give them heightened visuals, and would be perfect for overseeing the Castle. Like Diamond rock however, the problem is getting to that high ground....

The Americans will likely begin thinking about that on this next turn. XD The raised parts are large ramparts, but they may not be structurally sound enough to put a lighthouse on top of them... although the Castle is old and in decay, the staircases to get up top may be intact....
xerecs
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Really! I figured you would like the Roost and/or Kingdom the most. It's funny since of all the custom pieces, I think I am least excited about the Castle. XD

Agh! and now I'm not sure which I like most! XD The Kingdom is great, a landmark on the sea, and a safe heaven for pirates. Rooting them out of there will be difficult. The same goes for the Dragon Roost, which now calls to my mind the Dragon Nest from How to train your Dragon. I think I might be more excited about it if there was more than one Dragon.....XD.

I think I'm excited about the Castle because I can see it's potential, but also because of it's ruined state. There's a story to be told there, but one that's been long forgotten. Like, who built it, why? Where did those people go, what happened to them?

Excited to see what comes next!
el_cazador
Guru
Guru

Subject: Photo Angles   PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:16 pm Reply with quote

I also have to congratulate you on how well you hid the Sea of Karkuda using camera tricks. I thought for sure that it was much larger than it is.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: