main page of Miniature TradingMiniature Trading

The best platform to trade all collectible miniature games!

wholesale from china through DHgate

Trade Cards Online
Let us find for you the cards you need

communicate randomly with people around the world:
throw a message in a bottle

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Find Answers about Rules, Keywords and Other Questions Here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:38 am Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
Do you have to use Homing Beacon at the start of a move action, or can you use it after moving a segment of a move action as well? (and therefore also when the move action ends)
You reveal it when you first give the move action, so for all intents and purposes it replaces your entire standard movement.

You are still allowed to use other actions relating to move actions after using the beacon, like a captain if an opposing ship happened to be parked right next to your home island.
a7xfanben
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:00 am Reply with quote

When you use Wine, the UT doesn't specify to keep it face down, so you must keep it face up and therefore it doesn't take up cargo space. My question is: what about the treasure that you exchange it for? Does that treasure take up cargo space? Also, does it stay face up like the Wine that you got it with? In a multiplayer game (when treasure is kept face down on home islands), do you have to show the treasure you take to your opponents?

I have another question. A situation came up in my game recently since one fleet had nothing with which to combat an enemy submarine. If you want more background on the situation, it's on the December 27th post in Battle Reports.

Subs can move underneath ships, but ships can't overlap them at the end of the move action. What if the sub has to dock at her HI (with the winning treasure, no less) but cannot since enemy ships are blockading it extremely close to the island (preventing her from moving without overlap).

I assume that you could try to position the sub so that she fits regardless of how she is supposed to move? Is there a better way to resolve a stalemate-type situation like this other than forcing the sub to the surface or determining the winner based on points or masts still in the game?
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote

a7xfanben wrote:
When you use Wine, the UT doesn't specify to keep it face down, so you must keep it face up and therefore it doesn't take up cargo space. My question is: what about the treasure that you exchange it for? Does that treasure take up cargo space? Also, does it stay face up like the Wine that you got it with? In a multiplayer game (when treasure is kept face down on home islands), do you have to show the treasure you take to your opponents?
The standard rules apply to the treasure you get in trade, so it will take up a space. If your ship was already full when you dropped off the Wine, you won't be able to take anything.

The facing of the treasure you take depends on how it was on the home island. If it was face up it stays face up, and if it was face down it stays face down. You're not required to reveal what you took to other players (aside from the previous owner).

Quote:
Subs can move underneath ships, but ships can't overlap them at the end of the move action. What if the sub has to dock at her HI (with the winning treasure, no less) but cannot since enemy ships are blockading it extremely close to the island (preventing her from moving without overlap).

I assume that you could try to position the sub so that she fits regardless of how she is supposed to move? Is there a better way to resolve a stalemate-type situation like this other than forcing the sub to the surface or determining the winner based on points or masts still in the game?
The Sub would have to be on the surface to dock so being able to pass under other ships and the overlap issue really doesn't matter in this case.

As far as physically blocking the HI, the first thing the player with the sub would have to try to do is ram through the blocking ships and do enough damage that it could surface and then shoot its way through. If that's not an option (for a variety of different reasons), I'd say the stalemate endgame condition would kick in.

However, even though blocking an island like that is technically legal, it's an extremely "gamey" situation and the game was never really designed to account for it. If it came up in a game I was running and the blocking player didn't have at least one other ship somewhere else on the table collecting extra treasure (so they had no other hope of winning and it was obvious that they were blocking simply to prevent the game from ending), I'd end the game right there using the stalemate condition and then I'd probably let the submarine player have the gold.

It wouldn't be wrong to handle that some other way, though. A lot of it depends on the players involved and how the game had played out up to that point. How much other gamey stuff like that had been happening and whether or not the blocking player had a history of doing things like would likely affect the decision.
wooget

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:18 am Reply with quote

Do crew count as cargo?
HMS Galway's ability reads "When this ship carries no cargo, she gets +S to her base move": so her base move is S+L+S when she has no cargo. If crew counts as cargo a helmsman will not improve her speed but if crew are not counted as cargo she will move S+L+S+S with a helmsmen.

Can ships that have the ability to move after they are derelict be towed by the opposing player?
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote

wooget wrote:
Do crew count as cargo?
HMS Galway's ability reads "When this ship carries no cargo, she gets +S to her base move": so her base move is S+L+S when she has no cargo. If crew counts as cargo a helmsman will not improve her speed but if crew are not counted as cargo she will move S+L+S+S with a helmsmen.

Crew do count as cargo, as do Equipment. So, your analysis is correct in that a ship with that ability will not benefit by adding a Helmsman.

wooget wrote:
Can ships that have the ability to move after they are derelict be towed by the opposing player?

Yes. The only time you couldn't tow a ship that can move without masts (derelict) is when there is an Oarsman aboard (which prevents the ship from being derelict while it has no masts). So, a derelict Galley or Longship, for example, could be taken under tow, even though they can still move.
brilzon

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote

I apologize if this has already been answered, but I'm not having much luck figuring it out. On a scorpion ship, what is "the rank of the blade"? The ability refers to making the attack using the rank of the blade, but on my only scorpion (Bloody Blade), I can't find any visible marker of such rank. Is this just a misprint, or am I misunderstanding this game dynamic? Thanks!
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote

brilzon wrote:
I apologize if this has already been answered, but I'm not having much luck figuring it out. On a scorpion ship, what is "the rank of the blade"? The ability refers to making the attack using the rank of the blade, but on my only scorpion (Bloody Blade), I can't find any visible marker of such rank. Is this just a misprint, or am I misunderstanding this game dynamic? Thanks!
The reference to the rank of a blade was a mistake in the ability text. The blade has no rank so it's an automatic hit.

Grab a copy of this file to get updated text for the Scorpion keyword and all other keywords: Master Keyword List.
lord_denton
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote

What was the original intention behind the Scorpion ship, having a rank or having no rank on the blade? It seems like the designers did one thing and the artwork people did another.
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:23 am Reply with quote

lord_denton wrote:
What was the original intention behind the Scorpion ship, having a rank or having no rank on the blade? It seems like the designers did one thing and the artwork people did another.
I don't know the exact details, but at some point early in development it must have been set up to use a die roll.

When they changed it to be automatic someone messed up and forgot to update the keyword text.
brettb45
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote

I have a question about using Altar of the Loa in a multiplayer game.

I don't specifically see anything in the Code or on this site that says what happens if you sacrifice more than 2 crew (like 4 or 6) in one turn. Would you get to control several players ships in that one round or would you just control the next players ships for several rounds?
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote

brettb45 wrote:
I have a question about using Altar of the Loa in a multiplayer game.

I don't specifically see anything in the Code or on this site that says what happens if you sacrifice more than 2 crew (like 4 or 6) in one turn. Would you get to control several players ships in that one round or would you just control the next players ships for several rounds?
It only refers to the next player's turn, so you can only affect the player that immediately follows you in turn order and it only applies to their immediate upcoming turn.

Eliminating additional crew has no effect - it doesn't increase the number of players affected nor does it increase the duration of the effect.
brettb45
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:51 am Reply with quote

Ok. I was hoping it was one of the other two but that makes sense. Thanks Woelf.
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote

When you explore an enemy derelict, are you able to take treasure and crew from the enemy ship?
woelf
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote

captain_vendari wrote:
When you explore an enemy derelict, are you able to take treasure and crew from the enemy ship?
Yes - that works just like transferring stuff between two of your own ships.
captain_vendari
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote

woelf wrote:
captain_vendari wrote:
Yes - that works just like transferring stuff between two of your own ships.
That's what I thought. That makes an interesting alternative to sinking enemy ships; explore, take all the goods, and send her to the bottom.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Miniature Trading Forum Index -> Pirates CSG All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 87 of 143

Jump to: